Celtic Interconnector

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
marshman

Re: Celtic Interconnector

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

All good thoughts on this murky scenario (ie no context in print)
@Desp, if the time taken thus far is not tied up in planning issues Id hate to see speed of progress to this still on the drawing board stage when there is.

Desp, are councils asking shops to dim displays out of hours & the likes yet down londinium way? ..no sign of anything here.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

marshman wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:40 pm There is a nice, now redundant, 2GW grid connection at the end of our lane - used to carry power from Dungeness A & B stations. Nice big building already there as well, about the same size as the Sellinge converter station building, possibly bigger. Only 20 miles from the coast of Franceland. Cables on the pylons are OK as there were only replaced 2 years ago. Problem solved ,
Seems logical & cheap to boot, ..whats the catch MM !?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Mr Gus wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:33 pm All good thoughts on this murky scenario (ie no context in print)
@Desp, if the time taken thus far is not tied up in planning issues Id hate to see speed of progress to this still on the drawing board stage when there is.

Desp, are councils asking shops to dim displays out of hours & the likes yet down londinium way? ..no sign of anything here.
Hi Gus,

our local Council, Epsom and Ewell, are pretty good at publicising energy saving measures on their Website and with leaflets etc, but to be honest I see no concerted drive to save energy on overnight lighting in shops. I am a bit out of that loop though we have only carried out domestic works for quite a long time now. Shop refits are hard, time critical work, I am too old for all that now :D I'm not sure local Councils have the budget to police energy wastage anymore, they are really struggling to provide the essential core services now.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

spread-tee wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:56 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:33 pm All good thoughts on this murky scenario (ie no context in print)

Hi Gus,

our local Council, Epsom and Ewell, are pretty good at publicising energy saving measures on their Website and with leaflets etc, but to be honest I see no concerted drive to save energy on overnight lighting in shops. I am a bit out of that loop though we have only carried out domestic works for quite a long time now. Shop refits are hard, time critical work, I am too old for all that now :D I'm not sure local Councils have the budget to police energy wastage anymore, they are really struggling to provide the essential core services now.

Desp
It is the same here. We are in a designated "Dark Skies" area (this one: https://cranbornechase.org.uk/our-work/ ... ght-skies/) so outside lights are very strongly discouraged, but the village shop is a notable exception, for some reason. Shame, as even the pubs have toned down the lighting on their signs to just a gentle glow. It seems that the "Dark Skies" thing isn't enforceable, and just relies on everyone cooperating. Perhaps with rising electricity prices we might see a few more do something about unnecessary lighting.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:18 pm
spread-tee wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:56 pm

Hi Gus,

Desp
It is the same here. We are in a designated "Dark Skies" area (this one: https://cranbornechase.org.uk/our-work/ ... ght-skies/) so outside lights are very strongly discouraged, but the village shop is a notable exception, for some reason. Shame, as even the pubs have toned down the lighting on their signs to just a gentle glow. It seems that the "Dark Skies" thing isn't enforceable, and just relies on everyone cooperating. Perhaps with rising electricity prices we might see a few more do something about unnecessary lighting.

It would be nice OGB, as a keen amateur astronomer with more than a passing interest in astrophotography, stray light pollution is the bane of my life. Mind you living on the edge of SW Lunnun I am in the worst possible place :cry: The Campaign for Dark Skies has done a good job in promoting various dark sky site around the country, everybody should see a truly dark sky and be amazed once in a while.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

spread-tee wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:33 pm It would be nice OGB, as a keen amateur astronomer with more than a passing interest in astrophotography, stray light pollution is the bane of my life. Mind you living on the edge of SW Lunnun I am in the worst possible place :cry: The Campaign for Dark Skies has done a good job in promoting various dark sky site around the country, everybody should see a truly dark sky and be amazed once in a while.

Desp
It gets very, very dark here, so dark that it's impossible to walk down the lane without risking falling into the stream one side or the hedge the other. Everyone carries a torch from around October to March, you only forget to take one out once before it becomes habitual.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Same here, there are some streetlamps but the nearest is fifty plus meters away and doesn't cast much of a pool of light beneath it before you are once more in the dark.

My mode of illumination is the trusty head lamp and I still have the unit that was mentioned at the other place (IIRC) the one with a COB bar with two blue spots above - its been brilliant and has lasted longer than anything I previously bought - I can't find its likeness online so I may go and take a photo and post it in case it prompts others memories of it.

I could have been from one of Mr Gus excellent links but may equally have been someone else :lol:

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

This is the lamp, anyone remember it ?

Moxi