Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

nowty

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by nowty »

SWMBO has been doing a washing and ironing marathon between the football matches today.

So, Its time to fire up my supplementary battery charger, even 6 hrs of cheapslot is a little too short with my 6kW Sunny Island charger. :twisted:

My mothballed Sofar ME3000SP has been brought back into operational service for the winter to be used in timed mode to chuck some more amps into the battery stacks.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
dlw

Post by dlw »

Wow 144 amps, can your battery bms manage that?

I was wondering about mine, my bms is max 100amps but I have 3 batteries so I guess it's still 100amps or can I push more (300amps) to all of them, my hybrid inverter can only do 120amps max
16 250w Trina panels
Voltronic Axpert Max 8Kw hybrid inverter
3 x Chinese 125Ah (19Kwh total) batteries
To be done, more panels and a wind turbine
Off Grid 20 out of 24hrs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

dlw wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:27 am Wow 144 amps, can your battery bms manage that?

I was wondering about mine, my bms is max 100amps but I have 3 batteries so I guess it's still 100amps or can I push more (300amps) to all of them, my hybrid inverter can only do 120amps max
The important part is "C" rates. Without wishing to overwhelm you, it comes down to the bigger the battery the faster you can charge/discharge it.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

dlw wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:27 am Wow 144 amps, can your battery bms manage that?

My batteries could theoretically take 5 times that at their recommended ratings although the limiting factor would be some of my cables but I could still double it. There is a little bit of variance in my system because of two battery chemistries having differing charge voltage gradients but the batteries here really get an easy life.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =14&t=1013

You have to be careful with Max charge rates and Recommended or Rated charge rates. And also the size of cables and isolators you are using.

Yours are 120Ah / 125Ah and you have 3 in parallel based on a previous posting of yours. So if I compared yours to my Pylontechs, my 50Ah modules have a "Max" charge rate of 50A but a "Recommended" charge rate of only 25A. Therefore, I wouldn't charge yours at a higher rate than 75A each so that still goes way above a total of 100A. BUT I don't know if your cables or your parallel battery connectors on your battery modules can take more than 100A / 120A.

If your cables are 25mm they will get warm at 100A and hot at 120A. Mine are 50mm as they branch off to each of three battery banks.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
dlw

Post by dlw »

My cable from inverter to battery is 70mm2 and probably less than 1.5m long :D and interconnects are 35mm2, I used the specification from the inverter for cable spec

I have a 250amp breaker, I found that my 3 batteries charged better with + on top battery and - on bottom and links in between, I will probably change to a bus bar at some point probably when I get another battery or 2 8-)

100amp/1c

16 250w Trina panels
Off Grid 20 out of 24hrs
nowty

Post by nowty »

dlw wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 pm My cable from inverter to battery is 70mm2 and probably less than 1.5m long :D and interconnects are 35mm2, I used the specification from the inverter for cable spec

I have a 250amp breaker, I found that my 3 batteries charged better with + on top battery and - on bottom and links in between, I will probably change to a bus bar at some point probably when I get another battery or 2 8-)

100amp/1c
Sounds like you can crank up the amps. :twisted:

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

dlw wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 pm I found that my 3 batteries charged better with + on top battery and - on bottom and links in between.
Thats the way your supposed to do it (or vice versa) so each battery charges and discharges equally. Put them both in at the top and the top battery does most of the charging and discharging, the second one less and the one at the bottom even less.

Lots of amps even in thick cables still gives voltage drops.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
dlw

Post by dlw »

nowty wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:35 pm
Thats the way your supposed to do it (or vice versa) so each battery charges and discharges equally. Put them both in at the top and the top battery does most of the charging and discharging, the second one less and the one at the bottom even less.

Lots of amps even in thick cables still gives voltage drops.
Yep I found that out with a bit of research and Will Prowse on YouTube but when I first connected them up I was in a rush and that went out of my head and wasn't able to change it for a few weeks as I was away for work, after I changed the wiring they keep the same voltage through charge and discharge even though I hadn't connected up the communications from the inverter
16 250w Trina panels
Off Grid 20 out of 24hrs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Had a spot of bother yesterday which resulted in some unfortunate peak rate usage. :shock:

I had an unexpected broadband outage which has shocked me into realising how much we rely on it.

First, I decided to replace my cable modem with the crap Vodafone router as I thought it might need to be in the original configuration if Vodafone wanted to run some diagnostics. Then thought, better turn off my router in case it interferes with it. Big mistake !

I realised I needed to contact Vodafone but the internets down, so I’ll use the hotspot from my phone. I had to half stick the phone out the window to get a good enough signal. I am now on the ipad trying to login, can’t remember the password, so its back to my desktop to get the password from my vault in the cloud but the desktops not on WiFi. Eventually found the password from an email attachment I had sent myself sometime in the past so I could access it on the ipad.

Logged in and ran a "check my broadband tool". There was an outage in my area with a fix time of mid evening. OK so at least I don’t need to do anything else apart from wait. So I put back my cable modem BUT forgot to switch back on the local router. Having lost local comms, my solar inverters had gone into fallback mode (low power) and worse, my battery inverter had lost comms with the grid point monitor so stopped working altogether. Unfortunately, I had not noticed.

Then for the Octopus saving session at 5pm I forced myself Offgrid which worked fine but when I switched back to the grid after 6pm, I only noticed a couple of hours later that the Sunny Island was not working. Then the penny dropped, I had switched the router off 5 hours ago and not switched it back on.

Another lesson learned. :oops:

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.