HVDC Interconnectors

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
AE-NMidlands

Re: HVDC Interconnectors

Post by AE-NMidlands »

ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:18 pm 1% of generated power is Coal now. :oops:
dan_b wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:00 pm Relatively big update on the UK-Germany "Neuconnect" link.
They've raised all of the capital required and construction is slated to start this autumn.
Reminder, it's a 1.4GW bidirectional HVDC interconnector running from the Isle of Grain in Kent, to Wilhelmshaven in Germany. Should be commissioned by 2025.
https://neuconnect-interconnector.com/f ... ial-close/
Well, I suppose it is better that we burn high calorific-value coal and export the electricity than the Germans burn brown coal! (Clutching at straws here...)
2.0 kW/4.62 MWh pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWh batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWh pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Quite a major update for the proposed FAB Link Interconnector.
F- France
A- Alderney
B- Britain

This will now be the FB link. Planning issues and local objections on the Island means the cable route will no longer go via Alderney Island.
Meanwhile Ofgen has delayed again its decision on whether to approve the project - I guess its got its hands full with changing the energy price cap every week?

The developers are still hoping to start construction in 2025. Wonder if the French nuclear fleet will be back up and running by then?
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Double NeuConnect update

Italian firm Prysmian Group has begun manufacturing the 720km long HVDC interconnector cables.
And, cable laying surveys have begun from the Isle of Grain out North East.

They're planning to start major civil constructions in 2023, but with a commissioning date now slipping back to 2027/2028.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Will they be flying drones over the interconnector area as a matter of security in the future (based on current political events)?

If so then they may wish to address Alderney as a tracking site or fight harder to strike a deal in general.
A place you can set down regardless of technologies current state should not be underestimated when the choice is ditch or land.

Whilst "A" may not be far from "F" it would make circuits easier for early notification of dodgy goings on's.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Here's an updated table of the state of play with UK HVDC Interconnectors, including those in service, those in construction, those planned, and those that have been cancelled or are missing in action.

GarethC

Post by GarethC »

Thanks Dan always enjoy these. Think more will appear as yet unplanned? Feels like we will need even more interconnectors.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

The UK Government a while back set a target of 18GW of interconnector capacity by a date I can't remember.
There is a reasonable path to 15GW by 2030 with what's still in planning or actually being built.
The other 3 projects don't look to me like they'll be constructed, and I've not seen any other signs of new projects being proposed. Yet.
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Being goverment soon as they realise they will miss their target, expect them to redefine what they mean by HVDC Interconnectors, probably to include the ones from Scotland to England :shock:
Mart

Post by Mart »

dan_b wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:59 am The UK Government a while back set a target of 18GW of interconnector capacity by a date I can't remember.
There is a reasonable path to 15GW by 2030 with what's still in planning or actually being built.
The other 3 projects don't look to me like they'll be constructed, and I've not seen any other signs of new projects being proposed. Yet.
Have to say I find it odd how there is so, so much rollout, year after year to about 15GW, then a complete stop after 2025. I don't think I've seen any scheme added to the OFGEM list for years, certainly nothing after 2025. I also seem to recall a target of 20GW(?) by 2030, but won't those extras need to appear soon on the planned list to make it by 2030?

Bit weird. But still a massive rise, tripling (5 to 15ish)) in the first half of this decade.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

I've been doing a bit of a geek dive into HVDCs and found another one which I had not previously heard about

"NorthConnect" - this was a planned 2nd connector between the UK and Norway.
Was intended to be a 1.4GW link, with 665km of sub-sea cables, landing at Peterhead in Scotland.
Planning consent was approved by local and Scottish Governments in 2019.
Was intended for construction to be underway by 2023 for commissioning in 2024.

Norwegian Government refused consent in the Summer of 2020.