HVDC Interconnectors

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Moxi

Re: HVDC Interconnectors

Post by Moxi »

I'm not convinced of the Environmental reasons for not having Tidal barrages? sounds too much like big oil and Gas using the environment to save their monopoly.

Environmental arguments never stopped London getting their none generating barrage did it - No because there was a vested interest for the politicians so it got built.

Doesn't matter how you wrap it up theres a massive hydro/tidal opportunity not being used and whatever the negatives of such systems are they are a whole lot better than CCGT's coal fire power stations and nuclear.

Whats the environmental impact of the last 60 years of nuclear power generation ? How can they square the environmental argument of the yet to be built long term geological repository for nuclear waste ??

The reality is its easy to build easy to maintain and easy to replace tidal barrage equipment - the main issue is its a big outlay and long return on investment and the conservatives don't do investment they expect others to do it for them and because its along payback there's not much chance of a kick back is there.

Well that's my rant for the month over and I feel SOOOOOO much better thanks :)

Moxi
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Moxi wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:44 am I'm not convinced of the Environmental reasons for not having Tidal barrages? sounds too much like big oil and Gas using the environment to save their monopoly.

Environmental arguments never stopped London getting their none generating barrage did it - No because there was a vested interest for the politicians so it got built.

Doesn't matter how you wrap it up theres a massive hydro/tidal opportunity not being used and whatever the negatives of such systems are they are a whole lot better than CCGT's coal fire power stations and nuclear.

Whats the environmental impact of the last 60 years of nuclear power generation ? How can they square the environmental argument of the yet to be built long term geological repository for nuclear waste ??

The reality is its easy to build easy to maintain and easy to replace tidal barrage equipment - the main issue is its a big outlay and long return on investment and the conservatives don't do investment they expect others to do it for them and because its along payback there's not much chance of a kick back is there.

Well that's my rant for the month over and I feel SOOOOOO much better thanks :)

Moxi
I totally agree, nuclear is going to be a problem for the future decades. Tidal barrage is the way to go.

The problem with this country now, and has been for ages, is the minority speak for the majority.

BBC breakfast really annoyed me today with a report on the cost of living crisis regarding how a child was helping his family. The child was absolutely fantastic and a great credit, but as to the rest. :(
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

What we often seem to forget is that our beautiful environment is quite often a result of previous generations industrialisation of the countryside.

How glorious would the Yorkshire dales be without farming to maintain it? How did the new forest come to be like it is ? Most of our rivers and estuaries are shaped by mans intervention be it for drainage or improved access, the Fens ? Somerset flats etc etc etc.

If people want the natural environment unspoilt by man then its going to be a very dark dense forest with generally poor ground habitat due to the high shaded canopy with the odd "island" of light where older trees have died as per some of our ancient woodland that survives.

There absolutely no MORAL reason why we cannot build necessary infrastructure that runs harmoniously with the natural environments needs.

Theres an abundance of IMMORAL reasons why necessary infrastructure isn't built none of which is directly attributable to the natural environment BUT much of which seeks to hide behind green environmental arguments. A politician that says its not environmentally sound is actually saying we don't want to spend the money that's actually required to do this in an environmentally considerate manner.

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Anyway - maybe we should get back to interconnectors in this thread?

Sorry Dan.

Moxi
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Do the easy things that make the most difference the most quickly first.
So that is wind, solar, storage and interconnectors.
As the proportion of renewables increases, then the need to solve the "last 10%" problem becomes bigger, and the more expensive thorny bits of infrastructure, like tidal lagoons and nuclear become more important. But we're not there yet. Meantime, the answer is a very simple deploy deploy deploy.

And I'll try and keep up with the evolving world of HVDC Interconnectors for the benefit of the forum :)
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Found this rather interesting corporate video about the ElecLink - the one that goes through the Channel Tunnel

dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Nice, thanks for the link.
Although I notice they're now saying going live by 2028 - that's 2 years later than what I had previously. Which seems like a noteworthy delay.
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

I wasn't previously aware of administrators being required for the Sun Cable project so not sure if the piece below is good news. Guess we'll have to wait another three months before we find out!

Administrators move swiftly to settle future of Sun Cable
Two of Australia’s richest people are expected to be rivals in the bidding process for Sun Cable, the developer of what could be the world’s biggest intercontinental solar and energy storage project. Administrators indicate that the sale process could be completed within three months.
https://www.pv-magazine.com/2023/01/24/ ... sun-cable/