DIY / Pylontech Battery wiring

Kenny000666

DIY / Pylontech Battery wiring

Post by Kenny000666 »

Hi All

So with my 15(16) x LifePo4s arriving near end of Jan and im thinking currently about wiring arrangements.

I have done a rough mock up of what im thinking:

As i understand it Wiring A is the standard approach to connecting additional pylontechs batteries, and from what i can see in the other self build thread, this is how Joe's LifePo4s are connected to his existing stack of Pylons. I believe there is another possible way of wiring by just connecting the + & - straight to the Pylon, but as i understand it, depending on how many batteries are added, the last battery can have dropped voltage (so left it out)

Personally with my setup im thinking of doing Wiring B, (as i only have 1 US5000). From my (non expert) understanding of electrics, both of these are the same as they are wired in Parallel. If i do this, will i still be able to have the Pylon (US5000) act as the master BMS (i.e. talk to the Inverter). Also from my research, large setups with busbars in their caddies are essentially wired this way to ensure all batteries maintain the same voltage.

Im trying to think if any major drawbacks of using Wiring B but cant think of any, so hoping to hear any objections before committing.
Stinsy

Re: DIY / Pylontech Battery wiring

Post by Stinsy »

I'd go for "B" because it gives the option of disconnecting either stack should you chose.

I don't think it matters very much though...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Kenny000666 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:59 pm Hi All

So with my 15(16) x LifePo4s arriving near end of Jan and im thinking currently about wiring arrangements.

As i understand it Wiring A is the standard approach to connecting additional pylontechs batteries, and from what i can see in the other self build thread, this is how Joe's LifePo4s are connected to his existing stack of Pylons. I believe there is another possible way of wiring by just connecting the + & - straight to the Pylon, but as i understand it, depending on how many batteries are added, the last battery can have dropped voltage (so left it out)

Personally with my setup im thinking of doing Wiring B, (as i only have 1 US5000). From my (non expert) understanding of electrics, both of these are the same as they are wired in Parallel. If i do this, will i still be able to have the Pylon (US5000) act as the master BMS (i.e. talk to the Inverter). Also from my research, large setups with busbars in their caddies are essentially wired this way to ensure all batteries maintain the same voltage.

Im trying to think if any major drawbacks of using Wiring B but cant think of any, so hoping to hear any objections before committing.
Hi Kenny, I am wiring B (no bms though). Reason being is fast isolation of the Lf280's via the Frankenstein and the Pylontechs continue as is. Are you planning on running 15 LF's?

I have left the Pylontech bms running the show as I get enough charge into the LF280's doing this to satisfy my Winter needs. Plus I have a separate PV system which will charge the LF's directly in better weather. Don't let that overcomplicated your process though! The Pylontech bms will get you there, if you want more or faster later the 3rd party bms will just be an add in.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Kenny000666

Post by Kenny000666 »

Joeboy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:06 pm Hi Kenny, I am wiring B (no bms though). Reason being is fast isolation of the Lf280's via the Frankenstein and the Pylontechs continue as is. Are you planning on running 15 LF's?
Yes, for now planning on keeping the US5000 (only just got it) but i brought a spare LifePo4 cell just incase. So given this set up, will be making a stack of 15. I've already got a JK BMS so will just have that wired in.

Ah yeh, good shout on the fast isolation, looks if Wiring A was used, disconnecting 1 battery pretty much brings all the batteries down, requiring switching a cable to the remaining batteries to complete the circuit.
Colin Deng

Post by Colin Deng »

Kenny000666 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:59 pm Hi All

B would be bettery opintion
Cause the BMS with the pylontech batterises will be different
Make it to the B will be better
Colin Deng(Batterycolin)
Battery supplier for battery cells and pack
Email:guohed070@gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/colin-deng-2b4277238/