Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
John_S

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by John_S »

Ripple has announced that the rate next year will be 27p per kWh. Great news.

"We have now fixed the Graig Fatha price for you for your year 2 generation. This reflects instructions from the co-op board. Although this new level of saving won't kick in until 1st March 2023, we wanted to bring you the good news as soon as possible.

The saving rate will be 27p/kWh next year compared with 9.63p/kWh this year. That's almost 3 times higher. The saving rate is the value of the power, minus the wind farm’s operating cost. From March 2023 your dashboard will be updated to display the new savings rate. For a typical Graig Fatha member, savings for the coming year are likely to be around £783. It's a huge jump up from £275 this year. Fixing the price for 12 months provides you with certainty over your electricity savings from your share of the wind farm over the next year."
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

:D Woo Hoo!
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:17 pm:D Woo Hoo!
+1 :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:19 pm
Fintray wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:17 pm:D Woo Hoo!
+1 :D
Doh, taxman. :evil:

I mean Woo Hoo. :D
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

John_S wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:11 pm Ripple has announced that the rate next year will be 27p per kWh. Great news.
The saving rate will be 27p/kWh next year compared with 9.63p/kWh this year. That's almost 3 times higher.
No it's not. It's 3 times the amount, or 2 times higher than this year's price. I am annoyed when so-called "journalists" repeatedly get this wrong, but they are mostly arts types who I assume can't count anyway... Ripple seems to have been developed by technically-competent people so far, but this is a big gaffe: illiteracy may be despised by the PPE crowd but they seem to regard innumeracy as a badge to be worn proudly.

Don't get me going about reports which say that something now costs 8 times less... which would mean you get given 7 times the original price to take it away: of course it's wrong. I think they mean the price is now 1/8 of what it was. The price might have been reduced by 7/8...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:19 pm
John_S wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:11 pm Ripple has announced that the rate next year will be 27p per kWh. Great news.
The saving rate will be 27p/kWh next year compared with 9.63p/kWh this year. That's almost 3 times higher.
No it's not. It's 3 times the amount, or 2 times higher than this year's price. I am annoyed when so-called "journalists" repeatedly get this wrong, but they are mostly arts types who I assume can't count anyway... Ripple seems to have been developed by technically-competent people so far, but this is a big gaffe: illiteracy may be despised by the PPE crowd but they seem to regard innumeracy as a badge to be worn proudly.

Don't get me going about reports which say that something now costs 8 times less... which would mean you get given 7 times the original price to take it away: of course it's wrong. I think they mean the price is now 1/8 of what it was. The price might have been reduced by 7/8...
A
The original share offer forecast for the second year was a rebate of 4.6p / kWh. :geek:

So if I was a bad journalist I would say its almost 6 times higher.

But its actually almost 6 times the original amount or nearly 5 times higher.

Anyway quite some pleasant uplift for the 907 original believers, 9 of which are on the secret list. :mrgreen:

I have an inkling that my payment holiday may never end, even without WT2. :twisted:

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:56 pm
AE-NMidlands wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:19 pm

A
The original share offer forecast for the second year was a rebate of 4.6p / kWh. :geek:

So if I was a bad journalist I would say its almost 6 times higher.

But its actually almost 6 times the original amount or nearly 5 times higher.

Anyway quite some pleasant uplift for the 907 original believers, 9 of which are on the secret list. :mrgreen:

I have an inkling that my payment holiday may never end, even without WT2. :twisted:

I am growing to appreciate the transmutation quality of WT1 as well as its purely financial benefits. In this case electricity into gas.
On the 31st Dec we will switch from 5.5p per kWh to 12p per kWh for electricity. We are on V1 at 6p per kWh max for gas until Sept 23. By switching off electricity to the SH's & HWT I will half my potential bill for the worst part of Winter with WT1 taking care of it (once this weather blows).

Hopefully by the time the bad weather comes back Late 23 WT2-WT9 will be outputting and i'll be able to fully catch on with the 'payment holiday crew'. Maybe a T shirt with 907 dominating on it across a London old skool double decker bus a la Cliff, Summer holiday? I'll get my coat... :oops:

I also fancy a -10 22 Survivor T shirt. 8-) :twisted:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Sorry a bit late to the party, but in fear of contradiction and given average annual wind speeds then the combination of the first two years of generation will see the ROI reduce from 14 years to a little over 7!
Who'd have thought that on the Ripple Community page there would still be someone whinging about how they reckon they could have negotiated a better deal! :evil:
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Adokforme wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:59 pm Sorry a bit late to the party, but in fear of contradiction and given average annual wind speeds then the combination of the first two years of generation will see the ROI reduce from 14 years to a little over 7!
Who'd have thought that on the Ripple Community page there would still be someone whinging about how they reckon they could have negotiated a better deal! :evil:
Sadly that doesn't surprise me too much. There are some that will whinge about anything. I'd very happily invest all I can spare, as I think their aim is laudable. I'm just waiting for them to come up with a way for those of us unable to have a smart meter to be able to invest, and at the moment that doesn't seem to be possible (at least not in terms of being able to get any sort of dividend).

Be great if there was a way to invest and have the dividend go to a suitable charity, though. Does anyone know if this is something they have a work around for, please?
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
nowty

Post by nowty »

Adokforme wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:59 pm Who'd have thought that on the Ripple Community page there would still be someone whinging about how they reckon they could have negotiated a better deal! :evil:
I read that whinger too, there are a number of things they don't understand.

The market price may well be higher but its for guaranteed delivery which a wind turbine cannot provide.

If you went for a spot price deal, then the times the spot price is huge is when there is no wind, strangely enough. And when its really windy overnight the spot price might be so low or even negative that the wind farm has no certainty of covering its operating expenses.

So there will be times Octopus is paying circa 30 / kWh (includes operating expenses) to the WT1 Coop when its very windy on low demand and they could have bought it cheaper or even at a negative value.

So looks like a good deal to me, but it does suggest that Project 3 might turn out to be more expensive to buy into as the people holding the development rights will be wanting a bigger payment.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3