Solis RAI-3K 5G

Moxi

Re: Solis RAI-3K 5G

Post by Moxi »

Cobbled together from a recycling caddy, bottom box and oddment of timber to get it up above the shadow line, secured at the back with two bungee cords.

Not suitable for anything other than a calm day but proving to me the benefits/ necessity of a set of higher ground mounts on the south side of the house.

Happily the extra panel has pushed us up past the minimum generation required to meet base load on the majority of days

Moxi
Umski

Post by Umski »

Good news that's resolved :) The Solis has some weird logic - out of curiosity I didn't realise that the Techview app allowed full change of all settings - all I could see when I finally managed to get the password was some hardcore settings for stuff like volts and phase and grid settings rather than the higher level stuff in the menu?

I was given x3 200W panels which I am yet to employ - I like your lashed-up set up :lol: - a mist has descended in the East after a bright start - not that it would help as my battery is stuck at 5A charge rate :/
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Most of my garden is across the lane so not easy to make use of for solar - long term strategy is to get a cable under the road at some point.

The side of the house is south facing and I have plans to use the porch roof for a few panels and then I have the mobile 540 Wp array and the 150Wp the former of which needs to be higher to clear the hedge and the wall in to the sheep field, even then we have quite a few telegraph poles but these only shade for a short time so I will live with that.

I used to be one not to do anything till I had it perfect but trying the new system of lash it up prove it works - optimise/ adjust and then engineer for permanence.

Tech view doesn't have many adjustment parameters but it did have the time of use off grid and reserve battery settings which was reluctant to change via the HMI but changed instantly on techview.

Moxi
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:49 pm Most of my garden is across the lane so not easy to make use of for solar - long term strategy is to get a cable under the road at some point.
You must have seen the film "The Great Escape". ;)

Either that or hiring a moling machine would be on my mind.
https://www.sunbeltrentals.co.uk/to-ren ... equipment/
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

nowty wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:06 pm Either that or hiring a moling machine would be on my mind.
Watched one of those being used to put in a new water pipe under a lane a few years ago. What amazed me was that it took far longer for the guys to dig the holes at either end and then get the thing lined up, than it did for the thing to make its way across the lane. The term that springs to mine is that it went like greased weasel s**t. Very impressive.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

oh trust me I have thought about tunnelling, half the garden across the lane is usefully 5ft below the road level, so I only need an access pit at one side, ideally I thought a narrow 6 ft high 2ft wide corridor would be ideal allowing the kids to access the garden without crossing the lane and having space for a cable and water supply to the garden, the only thing (besides the wife) thats stopped me is the fact that we get the odd HGV from the slate quarry going past and I wouldn't want the road to collapse otherwise I would already be digging in the same style as Colin Furze.

Moxi
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:11 pm
nowty wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:06 pm Either that or hiring a moling machine would be on my mind.
Watched one of those being used to put in a new water pipe under a lane a few years ago. What amazed me was that it took far longer for the guys to dig the holes at either end and then get the thing lined up, than it did for the thing to make its way across the lane. The term that springs to mine is that it went like greased weasel s**t. Very impressive.
They are good... I would put 2 pipes in while you are at it, 1 for water and one (or more) as a cable duct... If the starter hole is the slow costly bit then installing extra capability while you were doing it would make sense.
General question: Would you have to get a wayleave from the council (or some other authority) to put a duct across under a right of way?
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I haven't checked yet but common sense suggests that the owner of the highway needs to know whats under it to a given depth at least so in my case this would be the local council dept.

I did recently look for and find a civil contractor in my area that does ducts etc and they deal with all the planning notifications etc - I am yet to commit but the reason was that with the EV6 due soon and with the car parked over the road it makes sense to have a charging point installed over there for that and any subsequent EV and as you say while doing that get two or three 100mm ducts laid in for spare.

I could even install extrasolar panels across the road then ?

all plans that seem to gently be coming closer to fruition but as JB and others acknowledge its essential to bring the better half along gently with the concepts to avoid strife.

Moxi
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Moxi wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:40 pm I haven't checked yet but common sense suggests that the owner of the highway needs to know whats under it to a given depth at least so in my case this would be the local council dept.

I did recently look for and find a civil contractor in my area that does ducts etc and they deal with all the planning notifications etc - I am yet to commit but the reason was that with the EV6 due soon and with the car parked over the road it makes sense to have a charging point installed over there for that and any subsequent EV and as you say while doing that get two or three 100mm ducts laid in for spare.

I could even install extrasolar panels across the road then ?

all plans that seem to gently be coming closer to fruition but as JB and others acknowledge its essential to bring the better half along gently with the concepts to avoid strife.

Moxi

It's all a bit vague, in my experience, and I fully accept that thing may well vary wildly from one council to another, but my experience of running things across roads may be of interest. I needed to run a length of MDPE wate drain pipe from my sewage treatment plant pumped treated water outlet, under the lane and into the stream. I also needed to re-direct a telephone cable (multicore one) under the edge of the lane, because it ran overhead and I needed to remove one of the poles (would have been where our drive is) and I wanted to get rid of the overhead cables.

I didn't mole under the lane, as at the time I had two big diggers on site and a ground works crew of four, so it was cheaper and easier to dig trenches. The ground works company held the required street works licence, but this only covers resurfacing the lane to the local authority standard (really just means he knows how to make a long lasting road surface repair I think). Road surface digging also needs a fee to be paid to the council and may need an (expensive) road closure order. Going under a road without disturbing the surface just seems to need a check to see what else might be under there - there was no fee to be paid I think. I did not need to get consent, wayleave or anything from anyone to run a pipe across the lane, all they were bothered about was that the surface was properly repaired (sent a bloke out specially to check, afterwards).

I found that no one actually knew what was under the lane at all either. There's a service you can sign up to that is supposed to collate all the records and tell you whether it's safe to dig, but I found it was hopeless. Same goes for all the utility companies. Before digging the council made me contact dozens of utility companies (I think it was around 50 in all) that were on their list as possibly having services in our lane. At least two thirds of them never responded. Of those that did respond the water company (Wessex Water), the DNO (then SSE PD) and did BT OpenReach (eventually) all confirmed they had no services at all in the area (they were lying, but never mind).

As it happens our ground works chap was familiar with the absence of records from the utility companies so didn't trust them. He used the digger to take the surface off, then started hand digging across the trench to check if there was anything there and found an ancient and very rusty water main, still live. The water company knew nothing about it, had told us there was no mains water here, so I'd already spent a few thousand on digging a well by then! I was not at all a happy bunny. The water company came out with a CAT and traced the pipe up the lane, then supposedly updated their records to show that they had a pipe there. In reality they didn't, the pipe burst a few days ago, they came around and denied any knowledge of having any water main under the lane and accused me of creating the leak in the lane. Sometimes you really couldn't make this stuff up.

My take would be that if you wanted to run a cable duct under a road, then the approach I would take, in light of what I know now, would be to hire a CAT and do a check for services under the road, do a visual check for things like manholes and access points for any services, then just mole across at a depth below where any services are likely to be. With the exception of public sewers, services generally won't be deeper than about 800mm down at the most, most are around 700mm usually. Sewers can be a lot deeper, but can be checked by lifting manhole covers usually.

Not hard to dig a mole entry and exit hole either side, on your land, making sure it's about a metre down, then I reckon you should be fine. The process is so quick that it's unlikely to even be noticed, except by nosey buggers like me that are fascinated by the way this stuff gets done.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Thanks OGB,

A lot of our services are pole mounted so no concern with wire strikes, I know theres a 50mm HDPE wholesome water pipe that crosses at a tangent from the far side outer edge of the road to the near side and that should be 900mm to 1,200mm below cover level IF installed to codes. The sewer from our and the adjoining properties runs directly across the road under our garden and then down a 1:6 grade to the pumping station some 60 meters away so again thats a service thats not close to where I would be crossing with ducts.

I shall have to make enquiries with the council in January so that things are ready for the car, the alternative to all of this is to use one of a batch of 6 chargers at the village shop and just walk over to pick the car up (literally only a 10 minute walk) they are the small 7kW? type but we dont drive too many miles a week so these should be perfect for keeping it topped up, BUT that doesnt get me cable access to the garden for more ground mounted panels so maybe I wont mention that to SWMBO 8-)

Moxi