Extending life of stuff

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Joeboy

Re: Extending life of stuff

Post by Joeboy »

Very welcome indeed. :)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Still on the ongoing maintenance jag, had a strip down of SWMBO's handheld Dyson V6. It was flashing the green overheat/too cold light. Long story short, the problem was the post filter and PCB being blocked/part covered in a fine dust. Found this very Handy strip down Vid on Utube. 06.40 is the filter in the handle back.
The difference was incredible, I've cleaned the unit out and replaced the pre filter before but this was the first time for the post filter. Worth remembering as it was fun to do and hundreds of pounds are not going out the door. :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:21 pm Still on the ongoing maintenance jag, had a strip down of SWMBO's handheld Dyson V6. It was flashing the green overheat/too cold light. Long story short, the problem was the post filter and PCB being blocked/part covered in a fine dust. Found this very Handy strip down Vid on Utube. 06.40 is the filter in the handle back.
The difference was incredible, I've cleaned the unit out and replaced the pre filter before but this was the first time for the post filter. Worth remembering as it was fun to do and hundreds of pounds are not going out the door. :D

Thanks for that, very useful indeed, unfortunately you have just given me another job... :D
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

I've repaired our Dyson loads of times, normally a new motor required, £15 on ebay!!

I've always repaired what I can. I received my first electric shock when I was 5 years old making an extension lead, taught me a very valuable lesson. Always put the socket on first so your brother can't plug it in when your doing it. Also repaired the vacuum about a year later- it was only the fuse but my mum wouldn't use it till an electrician had checked it out first.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Tinbum wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:04 pm I've repaired our Dyson loads of times, normally a new motor required, £15 on ebay!!

I've always repaired what I can. I received my first electric shock when I was 5 years old making an extension lead, taught me a very valuable lesson. Always put the socket on first so your brother can't plug it in when your doing it. Also repaired the vacuum about a year later- it was only the fuse but my mum wouldn't use it till an electrician had checked it out first.
Your Mum sounds like a clever woman with a fine long memory! :lol:
My first shock was one of my mum's knitting needles into the electric three bar fire. I have no idea why I did that....
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Countrypaul wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:39 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:21 pm Still on the ongoing maintenance jag, had a strip down of SWMBO's handheld Dyson V6. It was flashing the green overheat/too cold light. Long story short, the problem was the post filter and PCB being blocked/part covered in a fine dust. Found this very Handy strip down Vid on Utube. 06.40 is the filter in the handle back.

Thanks for that, very useful indeed, unfortunately you have just given me another job... :D
Handy having a compressor to blow out the motor & pcb. The rest is washable. Sorry Paul... 8-)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:24 pm Your Mum sounds like a clever woman with a fine long memory! :lol:
My first shock was one of my mum's knitting needles into the electric three bar fire. I have no idea why I did that....
Unfortunately my Mum really wasn't that clever, nearly always put me down unless she wanted / needed something. :roll:
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Tinbum wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:05 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:24 pm Your Mum sounds like a clever woman with a fine long memory! :lol:
Unfortunately my Mum really wasn't that clever, nearly always put me down unless she wanted / needed something. :roll:
Sad stuff, mine is a manipulative undiagnosed bi polar psycho. Not even going to go into THAT, :o we escape, build our own lives and crack on. :D A but of a dark turn there, sorry! Ho ho ho Merry Christmas 🎅 :lol:
Last edited by Joeboy on Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Our Dyson let out the magic smoke when I was vacuuming out the fine ash from the wood stove. Stripped it down and it needed a new motor and both filters along with a thorough clean! Now it is like new, wife had been complaining that the brush head wasn't rotating very well, not surprised when I saw the state of the pre-filter.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:23 pm Our Dyson let out the magic smoke when I was vacuuming out the fine ash from the wood stove. Stripped it down and it needed a new motor and both filters along with a thorough clean! Now it is like new, wife had been complaining that the brush head wasn't rotating very well, not surprised when I saw the state of the pre-filter.
We all seem to have many crossover points eh? I had a look this morning and they don't sell the small handheld units as is now. It comes with many gubbins to make it nearer to a full upright. The price for a new machine that the Dyson website helpfully guided me to was about £440. :shock: Immediately got the screwdrivers out!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs