Where am I ?

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
nowty

Re: Where am I ?

Post by nowty »

I was going to add “bugtownboy” is banned from this one but that would have given it away even easier.🤣

I was last here about 25 years ago finishing off my paragliding licence. I launched from Mirodor del Rio which is a 500 metre cliff. It was a baptism by fire 🔥, beautiful views though.

https://cactlanzarote.com/centro/mirador-del-rio/
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Belting spot, overlooking La Graciosa - small virtually uninhabited island you can see in the web site pic. Also sort of overlooks our favourite ‘beach’ , Famara.

Mirador del Rio is at the left hand end of the cliffs - the ‘Rio’ is a current that runs between La Graciosa and Lanzarote, I think.

The boat journey to La Graciosa can be a little interesting when it passes through the current
nowty

Post by nowty »

Todays island location has proved almost impossible to find any renewable power, I’ve got a choice of only a bus stop sign solar panel or this solar spot lamp suffering from severe shading. It’s lighting up a nice sand sculpture though.

The clue to this place is the photo below, it’s taken from one of the beaches in the north of the island and captures a headland. In the far distance you can just make out a ghostly image of another island to its north.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Well, no one else is having a go :lol:

Presume the island to the North of you is Lanzarote and you’re on Fuerteventura, perhaps Puerto del Rosario ?

You back in Soton on Saturday or is it an extended cruise to include New Year ?
nowty

Post by nowty »

Bugtownboy wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:53 pm Well, no one else is having a go :lol:

Presume the island to the North of you is Lanzarote and you’re on Fuerteventura, perhaps Puerto del Rosario ?
Finally fooled you 😎

The beach was at Las Palmas on the island of Gran Caneria and the island to the north is Tenerife.

Technically Tenerife is to the north in longitude but the camera was actually pointing north west.

I suspect you will guess tomorrow’s island because there is only one major one left. 👍
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Doh - Gran Canaria is famous for its sand sculptures. Should have guessed - that and the height of the Volcano in the distance which, I presume, is Teide ?
nowty

Post by nowty »

I was trying to find a non google’able clue but I thought the sand sculpture might have given it away. The scene looked weird to me as it was almost like seeing a faint reflection of the gran caneria headland. The highest point in the ghostly island is tiede which I have once launched and flown from on my paraglider and landed on a beach at puerto de la Cruz at the north end of the island.

That was epic.🪂
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

nowty wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:34 pm I was trying to find a non google’able clue but I thought the sand sculpture might have given it away. The scene looked weird to me as it was almost like seeing a faint reflection of the gran caneria headland. The highest point in the ghostly island is tiede which I have once launched and flown from on my paraglider and landed on a beach at puerto de la Cruz at the north end of the island.

That was epic.🪂
My Nowty, that's mighty impressive, some height, distance and extremes of temperatures to endure!
However long did it take?
nowty

Post by nowty »

Adokforme wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:20 am
nowty wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:34 pm I was trying to find a non google’able clue but I thought the sand sculpture might have given it away. The scene looked weird to me as it was almost like seeing a faint reflection of the gran caneria headland. The highest point in the ghostly island is tiede which I have once launched and flown from on my paraglider and landed on a beach at puerto de la Cruz at the north end of the island.

That was epic.🪂
My Nowty, that's mighty impressive, some height, distance and extremes of temperatures to endure!
However long did it take?
From memory it took about 40 mins. Actually not that cold with full flying gear its colder in the UK at cloud base especially in spring.

This picture is from a flight I did in mid Spain, close to my record height gain, you can see the altitude of 12,298 feet on one of the instruments. Around 14,000ft is my record.

My longest flight ever was in 2007, also in mid Spain, 7 hrs in the air and 138km distance from starting point.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Gives me vertigo just looking at the picture