UK Wind Record

Wind turbines
GarethC

Re: UK Wind Record

Post by GarethC »

I do like the iamkate site someone linked to earlier. Interesting to see how much electricity emissions have fallen. Wind power is going to have had a great year. With new capacity coming online regularly, it's going to be fun to watch the records continue to fall. Don't need all that much more before renewables will provide more electricity than fossil fuels.
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

Agreed, I was looked at the iamkate site earlier this week, happened to spot more power was being generated by solar than gas and coal combined, even in the depths of December.
It'd be interesting to see what could be done with further energy saving / management measures such as https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022 ... c-lighting
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
64kWh Kia E-Niro
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

Gridwatch recorded 16.97GW an hour ago, which is a record on that site. Was anyone watching energy numbers?
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

I think what's also very interesting to note is just how incredibly low gas is at the moment - it's below 2GW. Has it ever been that low?
Coal at 0.6GW (so one unit somewhere) and even the dreaded Drax Biomass is down to just 0.4GW. We're importing another 3.5GW from the continent, and exporting 1GW to Ireland. and with nuclear at full chat too (5.7GW) I can't see how the spinning inertia reserve generation can go very much lower - and it's fair to say the vast majority of the Uk's electricity supply is currently zero carbon.

What's interesting also is with it still being relatively mild, and Europe having a lot of wind power plus having secured quite a lot of gas supplies (and filled up storage), the wholesale price of gas now is lower than before Russia invaded Ukraine. These high wind days are pushing wholesale electricity back down a little bit too. Maybe, just maybe, us consumers will start to see falling domestic energy prices at some point? Or is that wishful thinking.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

GarethC wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:27 pm Gridwatch recorded 16.97GW an hour ago, which is a record on that site. Was anyone watching energy numbers?
Co-incidence, just asked that question a couple of hours ago. 21GW is the most seen on energy numbers so far. I did see 20.3GW earlier today.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

dan_b wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:50 pm I think what's also very interesting to note is just how incredibly low gas is at the moment - it's below 2GW. Has it ever been that low?
Coal at 0.6GW (so one unit somewhere) and even the dreaded Drax Biomass is down to just 0.4GW. We're importing another 3.5GW from the continent, and exporting 1GW to Ireland. and with nuclear at full chat too (5.7GW) I can't see how the spinning inertia reserve generation can go very much lower - and it's fair to say the vast majority of the Uk's electricity supply is currently zero carbon.

What's interesting also is with it still being relatively mild, and Europe having a lot of wind power plus having secured quite a lot of gas supplies (and filled up storage), the wholesale price of gas now is lower than before Russia invaded Ukraine. These high wind days are pushing wholesale electricity back down a little bit too. Maybe, just maybe, us consumers will start to see falling domestic energy prices at some point? Or is that wishful thinking.
A lot has changed this year. At the beginning of the Ukraine war I said that history might show Putin as an inadvertant catalyst for change in the world of RE. OK, I've fancied the words up a little as it's Hogmanay but the idea stands.

Interesting perspective now on the Nordstream pipes. By severing them there's no temptation to going back to the old gas supply route in Europe which would refill Putins war coffers. That in itself will give further impetus for Europe to install vast amounts of RE?

This wee energy website from the detested Drax was on Ripple community page for anyone interested?
https://electricinsights.co.uk/#/homepage?&_k=bcqggz
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

It surprises me how often the wholesale price of electricity has been negative recently. Who can take advantage of that?

Also weird how it sometimes flips quickly from negative to £200 per MWh. Weird market.
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:27 am
GarethC wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:27 pm Gridwatch recorded 16.97GW an hour ago, which is a record on that site. Was anyone watching energy numbers?
Co-incidence, just asked that question a couple of hours ago. 21GW is the most seen on energy numbers so far. I did see 20.3GW earlier today.
I saw 20.6 at one point.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

GarethC wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:10 am It surprises me how often the wholesale price of electricity has been negative recently. Who can take advantage of that?

Also weird how it sometimes flips quickly from negative to £200 per MWh. Weird market.
If you are with Octopus on, I believe, the Agile tariff then you can charge your batteries, use appliances and get paid for doing so!
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

During the early days of lockdown, wholesale electricity was going negative a lot - so much demand disappeared from the grid and we had a period of sun and wind. Octopus Agile was all the rage back then. But that was before this recent energy price gouge situation we've now got. As you say it's all quite weird, but I guess kind of inevitable when we've had huge shifts in demand, huge shifts in generation driven by conditions as renweables penetration continues, the French Nuclear fleet outage, and then Putin.
GarethC wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:10 am It surprises me how often the wholesale price of electricity has been negative recently. Who can take advantage of that?

Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work