How stable are Octopus Energy? Are they strong enough to weather the current storm of bankruptcies?

Stinsy

How stable are Octopus Energy? Are they strong enough to weather the current storm of bankruptcies?

Post by Stinsy »

Rumours that our beloved ToU supplier has hit the buffers.

Unconfirmed at the moment...
Last edited by Stinsy on Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Re: Octopus Energy Gone Bust?

Post by Joeboy »

I hope you are incorrect.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I hope so too! this is in the category as "very unconfirmed". I'd be overjoyed if it turns out to be a false rumour.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

https://www.theenergyshop.com/energy-su ... pus-energy (which maybe isn't the most professional of assessments) says
Promising well funded new energy supplier

Octopus Energy is a new energy supplier which began taking on customers from July 2016. Like many of the growing number of new energy suppliers that have entered the market recently, Octopus Energy is still very much an unproven entity. However, so far they have made a promising start and look set to be a sustainable player in this market.

What we like about them is this.

They have a well thought through proposition, a swanky looking website and a clear focus on where they are going.

Most importantly, however, is that they have put together a serious management team and secured significant financial backing from a successful and fast growing investment management company. This should give them the financial clout to not only weather the volatility of the energy market but to be able to fund a rapid growth path.
and https://www.nationalworld.com/lifestyle ... es-3389370 is quite positive too.
Let's hope so!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

I'd be surprised as he has been on the TV a lot the last couple of days
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Off the back of this thread I thought it prudent to request the reasonable amount of credit I have with Octopus returned. Generic reply yet interesting.

'Lots of people are contacting us today to try and sign up with us, or checking that we're ok given the current unprecedented wholesale energy situation in the news. Please don't worry, we are a well backed, prudently hedged company and we are not going anywhere. Our CEO Greg Jackson has appeared on BBC, ITV and Sky News this week to talk about the situation and reassure our customers that we are not at risk.'
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

I cannot find anything credible that they are in trouble apart from some obscure newspaper which simply begged the question as they were quite a new player. They are quite large and have operations overseas. They get a lot of compensation from the national grid for running all sorts of trials. If there was one company the goverment should support is Octopus. Otherwise all that innovation, straight down the toilet and your left with the cartel of the big 6.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Reminds me of an accountant that told me the best thing to do if you were going bust was to hold a big party. It gives the impression all is ok and so people will invest in you.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Some accountant.

One of the sh1**y ones.I

Our Bill is due with octopus imminently, I would like to see them.weather this storm, they lead in terms of innovation,

Let's not start a rumour bonfire lest we all be worse off.I

Just back from the pub & witness to another London council social housing displacement to the countryside, potentially another 40 years of costly social adjustment for the area as self professed wide boys acclimatise to foreign environs , & dealing with that, will be unhappy therefore with rumour mill profitability of market destabilistion, less rumour more fact, tits up is not a favourable place to be & would add problems to the ripple turbine market.

Fact not conjecture (please)

Just the ill thought thread title potential needs changing imho please stinsy.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Paul_F

Post by Paul_F »

One thing about Octopus - their retail energy business is a much smaller fraction of the total than with many other suppliers, they also own wind farms, sell their billing platform to other suppliers, etc. The companies in trouble seem to be principally relatively small ones with no other businesses and insufficient hedging against future price rises.