Electric trucks

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Tinbum

Re: Electric trucks

Post by Tinbum »

The other day we had a lorry going down the road blowing its horn at 5am. It was still doing it a mile further down the road when it went past our neibours.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

One can only imagine what sort of night time experience in your locals led to that.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Ken

Post by Ken »

To me most of the noise i hear from traffic is tyres and that is only getting worse with heavier vehicles and bigger tyres. With lorries i guess their weight/tyres will stay the same so the quieter EVs should help, but they only account for a few % of traffic and that must be mainly on motorways etc.
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

A couple of years ago they surface dressed the road outside our house but as part of it they had to lift the cats eyes so they now protrude ready for the next surface dressing. It's amazing how many vehicles drive on them and you hear loud THUMP THUMP THUMPs as they go past. The worst are lorries and caravans. We also have certain lorries that go past that shake the whole house.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

To make it worse "speed control humps" ...we grounded the tesla on a new one on the new local estate in our village, anyone who has them place outside their house has to endure "too much S*** " & ought get recompense for the nights woken up by late night thumping traffic & early starts.

It's noise pollution of a different form that council departments are reluctant to entertain (due to costly work getting them stuck there in the first instance)

So combine speed bumps & a lorry (especially an empty open top grain carrier type thing) & the sound is very considerable.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Mr Gus wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:00 am To make it worse "speed control humps" ...we grounded the tesla on a new one on the new local estate in our village, anyone who has them place outside their house has to endure "too much S*** " & ought get recompense for the nights woken up by late night thumping traffic & early starts.

It's noise pollution of a different form that council departments are reluctant to entertain (due to costly work getting them stuck there in the first instance)

So combine speed bumps & a lorry (especially an empty open top grain carrier type thing) & the sound is very considerable.
Speed humps not only produce noise pollution they also produce localised particulate and NOx pollution as vehicles slow down and accelerate away from each hump.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mart

Post by Mart »

Article on a small study/survey of BEV trucks in the US, which seems extremely positive.

Electric Trucks Make Sense — We Now Have Data To Prove It
As companies around the country start electrifying their fleets, the North American Council on Freight Efficiency (NACFE) and RMI wanted to find out the challenges and opportunities they face. To do this, NACFE followed 13 electric trucks from the United States and Canada on their regular routes for three weeks, collecting metrics and stories from the road.

The event, called Run on Less – Electric, proved that certain trucking segments are more than ready to go electric. And when they do, we could save 100 million tons of CO2—equivalent to eliminating 25 coal-fired power plants.
Michael Berube, the US deputy assistant secretary for sustainable transportation, emphasized that just a few years ago people thought we would never be able to electrify trucks. “But the reality as you guys have shown is that today there are some parts of the market that are ready.” He emphasized that 50 percent of all freight in the United States moves 100 miles or less, and 75 percent moves 250 miles or less, meaning a large portion of freight can be moved by electric trucks.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.