Embellishing twots are us.. Coren

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Mr Gus

Re: Embellishing twots are us.. Coren

Post by Mr Gus »

Yeah, where we are, prior to the pandemic it was really needed beyond home & a nissan,renault, bmw dealership, ..those were in essence our charging safety net around here, esp on the way to / from milton keynes (the ev oasis) 😆 ..come drink your fill, slake your electron thirst!

Then conveniently a morrisons opened a free charger for 18 months but a lot of that time broken, they then contracted some payg charger that is so dumbly priced it is likely not making money.

The other earlier ev chargers in the locale were from 3pin speed - 7kWh but just never worked.

it is only in the last couple of years weve seen a.smattering more chargers, up & down the A1.

Our motto for the leaf was, along the lines of "Dinnae be blate, don broon troo's, show ye nae eagal" (for in car effect) as well as "Oxter yon cable , dinnae fankle it" which is my biggest complaint regarding ev to this day! 😆,

We never quite hit turtle mode, a home driveway charge is essential here, but due to old village centres on high streets etc that can be impossible in hamlets with bolt on modern housing creating commuter rat runs.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mart

Post by Mart »

NikoV6 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:44 am BP Chargers, would rather let it run out and push it home than charge with one of those :evil:

I'm sure at 75p a kW its cheaper to use Diesel??

https://electrek.co/2023/03/03/tesla-de ... r-v4-huge/

Tesla 1000v chargers being deployed, Europe first. Land grab time for Tesla

Apparently, a Tesla Supercharger costs a fifth of the cost to make as comparable models from other charger manufacturers
Yep, V4's rolling out in Europe first, and apparently have longer cables to make it easier for non-Tesla's to charge.

In the US, Texas I think, they offered a 70% subsidy for chargers to be deployed, up to a max $150k per charger. Most companies claimed the full $150k or close to it, but Tesla applied for funding in the $30k's, suggesting a full cost in the $40k's. Ironically, Tesla was too late, all funds awarded, so they got none.

I think SC costs have since fallen. In the US, Tesla often ships them out ready installed with 4 on a baseplate (2 baseplates per truck), for quick install.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Mart. list, what is the likelihood of flat bed truck semi-assembled will be able to be put into effect across europe & here? ..logical to pre-cast having prepped the ground & bolt on.

Any background info as to how much time / energy / cost savings are involved in this manner?

Incidentally Northhampton Supercharger set up at TESLA Northampton was still not up & running, I'll find out what the gen is from Kerry the site manager (nice lady) suffice to say on their own land it has been 3 months & still "coming soon" (may give some context to understanding future works)
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

AGT wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:16 pm That would take one headache away, being able to pay with a card rather than deal with apps/ poor mobile coverage.

Just want to plug in and charge.
I do this at home, a few seconds later and the car is charging, no apps or anything.
Fortunately we have an ICE car too so that’s for longer journeys with my car used for the local shopping/ kids journeys/ daily commute
IME and according to Zapmap there is a reasonable density of charge points that take ordinary plastic, so apps and charge cards are a thing of the past. Annoyingly, Morrisons are still in this latter camp.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

I find the problem with "non-Tesla" chargers is the cost! 0.75p kW seems outrageous (looking at you BP, Instavolt, Osprey!)

Pretty sure 0.75p makes it cheaper to fuel a DERV burner?*

*Maths not my strong point :mrgreen:
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
marshman

Post by marshman »

NikoV6 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:26 am I find the problem with "non-Tesla" chargers is the cost! 0.75p kW seems outrageous (looking at you BP, Instavolt, Osprey!)

Pretty sure 0.75p makes it cheaper to fuel a DERV burner?*

*Maths not my strong point :mrgreen:
Assuming diesel at £1.70 / litre, which is the current price here, and assuming your EV does 4 miles /kWh and charger is 75p/kWh then in round numbers a diesel car only has to average 42MPG to "break even" and a petrol car about 39MPG (assuming £1.60 /gal petrol).

Then of course you have to factor in approx 10% "charging loss" as discussed in another thread.

Factor in that 10% "charge loss on an EV and the real world consumption of my "worthless" 2004 car at around 55MPG (more on a long run) then that runs at around 14p per mile fuel cost, and an EV assuming an indicated 4 miles / KWh , factor in 10% charging loss makes it 3.64 miles/kWh means the break even cost would be around 51p / kWh. No idea what other chargers cost.
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

seems to be the topic of the moment

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/pet ... 61618&ei=8

Theres even a photo of JB charging at an ionity unit!

Moxi
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Suggest you re-read my previous post regarding non tesla charging @tesla chargers being same cost
Then check out the deal, duration, specific t&c's.

Same price AS tesla users IS A good deal potentially, when needs must.

You myopic sods 😆
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mart

Post by Mart »

Mr Gus wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:38 pm Mart. list, what is the likelihood of flat bed truck semi-assembled will be able to be put into effect across europe & here? ..logical to pre-cast having prepped the ground & bolt on.

Any background info as to how much time / energy / cost savings are involved in this manner?

Incidentally Northhampton Supercharger set up at TESLA Northampton was still not up & running, I'll find out what the gen is from Kerry the site manager (nice lady) suffice to say on their own land it has been 3 months & still "coming soon" (may give some context to understanding future works)
Hi Gus. The pre-fab units are (I think) coming out of Tesla Buffalo, where they are made, so pre-built on a base in sets of four, then 'simply' craned into place on site.

I'm totally guessing here, but for Europe, I assume the chargers are shipped here from US or more likely China(?) But that wouldn't prevent them then being put into pre-installed modules. Maybe the extra work isn't worth it if being shipped anyway, or perhaps it's already happening, I really don't know. Yet another guess might be that Giga Berlin could build some, as they are expanding the site, but I haven't heard anything like that yet.

Silly thought, but if Tesla can build the SC's so cheaply, then maybe the UK Gov could come to some sort of deal/incentive to get them to roll out loads of extras, since the non-Tesla rapid chargers are taking a long time, and often have issues. Obviously any deal would mean they are open to all BEV's.

Sorry it's all guesswork, but if I do see anything suggesting modular rollout in Europe I'll update. Maybe someone has seen something already?
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

My thought re david dickinson chargers.as well, there is a template to follow for sure as it radically changes (potentially per unit cost, reduces dramatically) ..pester transport committee head, he's milton keynes based, a likely advantage.. I'll get the ball rolling.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS