Nickel Iron batteries

Oldgreybeard

Re: Nickel Iron batteries

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Krill wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:56 pm I wonder how efficient a large NiFe battery could be when linked to WT farm or a massively oversized household alarm array, given cost implications of lithium. What is the C value anyway, 0.2 like with lead acid?

Although looking at those calls you'd need to design an space efficient and ergonomic access arrangemt which would not be simple...
The NiFe packs I had could deliver a massive amount of current, at least 5C, maybe more. Same for charging. They were built as ground power packs for starting aircraft. The cells were metal cased Edison NiFe cells, encased in hardwood cages, and had originally been fitted inside an aircraft ground power trolley. IIRC, mine were used as Griffon starter packs originally, for starting Lancaster engines.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
midwesteddie

Post by midwesteddie »

@deanforest, did you ever get a reply regarding purity? I suspect I'm due for an electrolyte change soon too and feeling very intimidated about it. I'm in the US, but I did not build my system. It was already installed when we purchased this house. I am very concerned about disposal of the old electrolyte and sourcing and making the new electrolyte.

Any assistance would be great!
Ed
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

midwesteddie wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:35 am @deanforest, did you ever get a reply regarding purity? I suspect I'm due for an electrolyte change soon too and feeling very intimidated about it. I'm in the US, but I did not build my system. It was already installed when we purchased this house. I am very concerned about disposal of the old electrolyte and sourcing and making the new electrolyte.

Any assistance would be great!
Ed
What makes you think your electrolyte needs changing? You do need to top up with distilled water but the batteries should last 100 years or more without an electrolyte change!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Colin Deng

Post by Colin Deng »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:37 pm
Krill wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:46 pm Purely out of interest, what is the typical discharge rate for LiFePO? I wonder what it would be like to try and use 2 battery arrays and what such a system would even look like...
Self discharge rate of LiFePO4 is 1-2% per month.

Self discharge rate of NiFe is 1-2% per day.
Self discharge rate of LiFePO4 will be 3-5% per month according to the data sheet of the battery
The sodium-ion battery self discharge rate is 3%
Colin Deng(Batterycolin)
Battery supplier for battery cells and pack
Email:guohed070@gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/colin-deng-2b4277238/
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

I changed the electrolyte in some cells about 30 years ago. Their self discharge rate was rather higher than 2%/day as I recall.

Relatively small cells, which reside in the back of a deep shelf in my garage. My last check of them was some (several!) years ago and I put them back on the shelf. As I recall the electrolyte included some lithium hydroxide, too.

These cells were old when I got them - they were to be disposed of at the college, so I took them home.🙂

This thread may prompt me to get them out again. I suspect the electrolyte may well be all pot carbonate by now.🙁

I suppose I might need to drain the electrolyte, evaporate to dryness, then heat strongly to dissociate the carbonate, to K2^O and CO2, and then redissolve the residue in water. I have some KOH (if that has not been carbonated, by now) but no LiOH.