HVDC Interconnectors

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Bugtownboy

Re: HVDC Interconnectors

Post by Bugtownboy »

Totally - there again, how do we (the enlightened :shock: ) start to change that perception ?

I suppose we can’t (aren’t early adopters, although a bit late for that, a bit weird anyway ) when the central message is so supportive and encouraging of our current position.

We need greater honesty about our current energy position - and I suppose it’s really positive currently - but how long will that last and how, collectively, do we deal with it.

There again, that’s not Bozo’s way.
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

nowty

Post by nowty »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:03 am Whoops !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58579829
I texted my Energy Trader friend yesterday who had previously told me the UK hit a record price of £3000 / MWh last Friday, to ask if he thought it was going to be broken again later.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Looks like the plan is to bring back 1GW of the IFA2 connection within the next couple of weeks, but the full 2GW connection won't be back online until next Spring. Guess there's a lot more damage on one of the cables/converters than the other.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

https://www.current-news.co.uk/news/ifa ... march-2022

Confirmation that IFA2 won't be back to full capacity until next spring.
But also confirmation that they're trying to bring forward final commissioning of the Norway link to try and plug the gap!
They could do with getting on with commissioning ElecLink as well that would help.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

North Sea Link to Norway is now operational commercially - for now at half capacity 700MW but will rise to the full 1.4GW early next year.

Not before time too given the outage on IFA2

https://news.sky.com/story/worlds-longe ... y-12422294
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

I'm possibly misunderstanding this, but these, when all built out, should prevent the stratospheric wholesale electricity prices we saw recently, should they not?

I'm assuming demand for electricity only exceeded our maximum ability to supply it by a relatively small amount, but that small amount was enough to send wholesale prices rocketing. The ability to import to the extent we will be able once all interconnectors are functioning should mean that we'll almost certainly always have enough electricity, and it might be very expensive when we're maxed out on import, but it won't be nearly as bad as the figures we saw recently?
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

dan_b wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:44 pm North Sea Link to Norway is now operational commercially - for now at half capacity 700MW but will rise to the full 1.4GW early next year.
Not before time too given the outage on IFA2

https://news.sky.com/story/worlds-longe ... y-12422294
I liked the last paragraph:
But Thor Anders, the director of the Norwegian side of the project, said occasional dry years reduce the amount of water available for electricity generation.

"The match between hydropower and wind power is intriguing," he told Sky News.
"When the UK has a challenge with too little wind, we can support you with hydropower.
"And when you have excess wind, we can import it and we don't have to use up the water in our reservoirs. We can save it.
"It's a match that's good already and it's going to get even better as renewables develop in future."
2.0 kW/4.62 MWh pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWh batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWh pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mart

Post by Mart »

GarethC wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:14 pm I'm possibly misunderstanding this, but these, when all built out, should prevent the stratospheric wholesale electricity prices we saw recently, should they not?

I'm assuming demand for electricity only exceeded our maximum ability to supply it by a relatively small amount, but that small amount was enough to send wholesale prices rocketing. The ability to import to the extent we will be able once all interconnectors are functioning should mean that we'll almost certainly always have enough electricity, and it might be very expensive when we're maxed out on import, but it won't be nearly as bad as the figures we saw recently?
That's my thinking too, and I hope it's right. Also of course depends on the situation in all the other countries (and those they are in turn connected too), but the scale of growth must Shirley mean we'll have enormous import (and eventually export) potential.

Dan's been reporting on interconnectors for so long now, and I can see why, because they are becoming a massive part of the RE move/potential, but perhaps underappreciated by most people and the media. If my understanding is correct then we have gone from 5GW (already a steady increase over time) earlier this year to 7.4GW (minus IFA1 which is currently down), then we get to ~16GW by mid decade, and ~22GW with the pipeline Dan has mentioned. That's not a linear growth, by any means, and will massively move the UK to higher RE penetration, and hopefully export.

Really, really massive news.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Is there any progress/news over the development of a HVDC with Morocco or a link to the Continental HVDC system ?

Don’t know what comes first - the solar farms or the ability to move the electrons about ?