Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Joeboy

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Joeboy »

Up and running for 19.00hrs. Let's see shall we?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:13 pm Up and running for 19.00hrs. Let's see shall we?
Increasing nicely, must be on a soft start up.

Tomorrow is close to a financial PB if it keeps going. 8-)

Johnny wan spanner finally "B Goode", back up to 99% output generation near midnight, fingers crossed for tomorrow. :D

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

It also seems odd that there is no "open to all" general overview of WT1 for production, windspeed generation update every 30 minutes daily numbers etc, this surely would assist in giving idle hands something to look at & familiarise with what they are going to get (project 2, the young hooli-gans, if graig fatha is the Grandfather then you see where i'm going in terms of names)

I don't think more data is off-putting, quite the contrary, it's likely to encourage more spread in your average investor to trickle more funds in when a project arises & gains entry to the likelihood of micro-investment hoovering up small amounts of watts (wider public accessibility)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Mr Gus wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:59 am It also seems odd that there is no "open to all" general overview of WT1 for production, windspeed generation update every 30 minutes daily numbers etc, this surely would assist in giving idle hands something to look at & familiarise with what they are going to get (project 2, the young hooli-gans, if graig fatha is the Grandfather then you see where i'm going in terms of names)

I don't think more data is off-putting, quite the contrary, it's likely to encourage more spread in your average investor to trickle more funds in when a project arises & gains entry to the likelihood of micro-investment hoovering up small amounts of watts (wider public accessibility)
I would think it is the other way round: we have been told about the level of (non-) informed debate on Ripple's forum, and hear about abusive tweeting and trolling in social media generally.
Can you imagine what the reaction would be to the hydraulic problems - twice after a service now - amongst people who haven't either the faith in renewables that we have, or the experience of the users of this forum? I am actually a bit surprised how open Ripple are, but we are in a cooperative rather than just being shareholders...
I do think that the Ripple people are in the game for the best of motives, rather than the obscene stripping money out of the rest of us which is what is being done in the wider economy.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
smegal

Post by smegal »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:12 am
Mr Gus wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:59 am It also seems odd that there is no "open to all" general overview of WT1 for production, windspeed generation update every 30 minutes daily numbers etc, this surely would assist in giving idle hands something to look at & familiarise with what they are going to get (project 2, the young hooli-gans, if graig fatha is the Grandfather then you see where i'm going in terms of names)

I would think it is the other way round: we have been told about the level of (non-) informed debate on Ripple's forum, and hear about abusive tweeting and trolling in social media generally.
Can you imagine what the reaction would be to the hydraulic problems - twice after a service now - amongst people who haven't either the faith in renewables that we have, or the experience of the users of this forum? I am actually a bit surprised how open Ripple are, but we are in a cooperative rather than just being shareholders...
I do think that the Ripple people are in the game for the best of motives, rather than the obscene stripping money out of the rest of us which is what is being done in the wider economy.
I've not been following this in detail, but it seems, the main issue is that ripple are being too honest. If they just gave daily/weekly/monthly energy output figures, a lot of this discussion would go away. Mechanical/Electrical issues are normal, as long as the expected turbine availability isn't significantly lower than the figure used in the energy yield calculations, what's the problem?

I don't hear any complaints when the turbine capacity factor exceeds the expected, you've got to take the rough with the smooth.
nowty

Post by nowty »

The single turbine exacerbates this, when KH gets going with 8 turbines its unlikely anyone will even notice a single turbine breakdown or maintenance event. There may be no commentary at all except for something like a grid outage affecting all of them.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:30 am The single turbine exacerbates this, when KH gets going with 8 turbines its unlikely anyone will even notice a single turbine breakdown or maintenance event. There may be no commentary at all except for something like a grid outage affecting all of them.
Which would be nice. 8-)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Ok, to avoid social media slaughter..

\How about an invite access key? that is traceable as origin to a pre-existing member who has bought in / has it on a £25 hold? ..that way you can say "have a word" if they get out of order (ie responsible for other key holders in general) ?

Yes, one way to look is 1/8 go's down hardly a murmur, but people will do the math regardless (the nowty's & joe's of this world for example) so info will always be to hand.

& therefore a performance swing-ometer for ahead of the curve / behind which will help level out emotions.
You can but try, & trying is the key.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

smegal wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:15 am
AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:12 am

I've not been following this in detail, but it seems, the main issue is that ripple are being too honest. If they just gave daily/weekly/monthly energy output figures, a lot of this discussion would go away. Mechanical/Electrical issues are normal, as long as the expected turbine availability isn't significantly lower than the figure used in the energy yield calculations, what's the problem?

I don't hear any complaints when the turbine capacity factor exceeds the expected, you've got to take the rough with the smooth.
The subject of too much information, especially when jo public are involved can be very emotive, but it's been great tracking output on an hourly basis and I wouldn't wish to lose that ability going forward. Ideally I'd like to see both windspeed and direction in real time given but suspect there's a limit to how much data their system/s can cope with plus of course the instruments reporting must be 100% reliable too.
When having our PV installed we chose to pay extra for SolarEdge which allows us to see the output of individual panels, otherwise how do you know if a panel or two have dropped out. Guess I'm all for transparency and I would hope we eventually learn the cause of the recent outages and how they have been resolved. If indeed they have!
By the way, Well done Joe for your post on the Ripple forum, the questions needed asking and put in a way that wasn't offensive.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Thank you AD, I do believe in effective, constructive communication. I have no idea if anything will improve, I'd like to hope so as we can learn from all around us. At least we tried. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs