Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
AE-NMidlands

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:08 pm All joking aside, this combination of varied personal RE investment has been astonishing in its outcome. It has been a good taster for the Tsunami that will be KH. :twisted:
... except that the contract price for electrons will be back to(wards) the old norm. We were just lucky that the gf annual contract was renewed when we benefitted most!

Anyway, it's looking good for the near future - as long as we don't have to furl to ride out the storm...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65117769
A weather warning for strong winds along the coast of south Wales is in effect from Thursday evening.
The Met Office issued the yellow warning from 21:00 BST Thursday until midnight on Friday from Barry, Vale of Glamorgan to St Davids, Pembrokeshire.

Winds of 50-60mph (80-100km/h) are expected with gusts of up to 70mph (110km/h).
The forecaster warned that disruptions to road, rail, air and ferry services were likely.
(I would have worked from left to right and said "St Davids, Pembrokeshire to Barry, Vale of Glamorgan" - except that I don't see everything from a London perspective, [for them] what is closest gets mentioned first!)
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:06 pm
Joeboy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:08 pm All joking aside, this combination of varied personal RE investment has been astonishing in its outcome. It has been a good taster for the Tsunami that will be KH. :twisted:
... except that the contract price for electrons will be back to(wards) the old norm. We were just lucky that the gf annual contract was renewed when we benefitted most!

Anyway, it's looking good for the near future - as long as we don't have to furl to ride out the storm...
A weather warning for strong winds along the coast of south Wales is in effect from Thursday evening.
The Met Office issued the yellow warning from 21:00 BST Thursday until midnight on Friday from Barry, Vale of Glamorgan to St Davids, Pembrokeshire.

Winds of 50-60mph (80-100km/h) are expected with gusts of up to 70mph (110km/h).
The forecaster warned that disruptions to road, rail, air and ferry services were likely.
(I would have worked from left to right and said "St Davids, Pembrokeshire to Barry, Vale of Glamorgan" - except that I don't see everything from a London perspective, [for them] what is closest gets mentioned first!)
Excellent news on the weather, although the current Ripple forecast doesn't reflect it...yet?
For posterity my current predicted figures for the next couple of days are 24kWh Thursday.& 21kWh Friday. I hope they are reviewed upward. :twisted:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Bring the storm on. 8-)
There is something quite visceral about a storm hitting a wind turbine and making it crank :twisted: , whereas a slice of doped silicon quietly baking in the midday sun is a bit....... :roll:

Even if the price subsides next year, KH will still be a Tsunami of green kWh's. :mrgreen:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
John_S

Post by John_S »

Indeed we were.

Frankly, I would be glad to get less as it would mean that a lot of other people,who can ill afford their energy bills, will be better off (maybe less worse off) as electricity prices come back to more reasonable levels. At the end of the day, the price we get for the generation is the retail price of electricity, less transmission and distribution cost and +/- some alchemy involving green levies and Macbeth witches.

I would like to see Ripple going for four quarterly renewing annual contracts, each for 25% of KH's output.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

John_S wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:42 pm
Indeed we were.
Frankly, I would be glad to get less as it would mean that a lot of other people,who can ill afford their energy bills, will be better off (maybe less worse off) as electricity prices come back to more reasonable levels. At the end of the day, the price we get for the generation is the retail price of electricity, less transmission and distribution cost and +/- some alchemy involving green levies and Macbeth witches.
I would like to see Ripple going for four quarterly renewing annual contracts, each for 25% of KH's output.
Agreed, but that seems to be the way the system works.

There was a rivet-making firm man on the radio at lunchtime saying that the govt. seemed to be looking after the steel-producing industry but didn't care about smaller industrial consumers of steel - even tho' they have significant power needs. His point was that when his last contract expired there were hardly any new ones available, the only option was for a 12-month lock-in at a now-ludicrous (and bankrupting) price.

It seems to me that this is an "unfair terms contract" but I bet that is only consumer law, and businesses have no way of getting out of it.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Wow, AE looking at the output today you absolutely nailed it it! Incredible to see those hourly predictions fall as it marches forward at max output. :shock:

For posterity my current predicted figures for the next couple of days are 24kWh Thursday.& 21kWh Friday

Friday has now been upped to 29kWh prediction. That's a nice way to close the month out. :lol:
Last edited by Joeboy on Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:50 pm
John_S wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:42 pm
Indeed we were.
Agreed, but that seems to be the way the system works.

There was a rivet-making firm man on the radio at lunchtime saying that the govt. seemed to be looking after the steel-producing industry but didn't care about smaller industrial consumers of steel - even tho' they have significant power needs. His point was that when his last contract expired there were hardly any new ones available, the only option was for a 12-month lock-in at a now-ludicrous (and bankrupting) price.

It seems to me that this is an "unfair terms contract" but I bet that is only consumer law, and businesses have no way of getting out of it.
The way the system has been implemented has been an absolute disgrace over the past 18 months, let’s face it Tory infighting, 3 prime ministers in 3 months and all the peacock preening that goes with it, meant they took their eye off the ball and everybody else suffered.
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 4 210 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:24 pm Bring the storm on. 8-)
There is something quite visceral about a storm hitting a wind turbine and making it crank :twisted: , whereas a slice of doped silicon quietly baking in the midday sun is a bit....... :roll:

Even if the price subsides next year, KH will still be a Tsunami of green kWh's. :mrgreen:
99.27% CF last hour. That'll do. :twisted:

Adding a pic of the production chart today for those that aren't in GF.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

I did not believe the lower ripple generation forecast as the weather forecast has been consistent for strong wind for days. There is even a yellow wind alert out for the next two days. :lol:

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:43 am I did not believe the lower ripple generation forecast as the weather forecast has been consistent for strong wind for days. There is even a yellow wind alert out for the next two days. :lol:

I wasn't up at midnight so don't know when it picked up? It seems the perfect day to let those standing by for KH see how it can be. :shock:

We already have 20.8kWh today with whole day earlier predicted to be 24kWh! It's nice when the prediction works in our favour. 8-)
I'd love to see a bit of video footage of the turbine cranking at full speed in crazy weather. :D

'Bring the storm on.
There is something quite visceral about a storm hitting a wind turbine and making it crank , whereas a slice of doped silicon quietly baking in the midday sun is a bit.......

Even if the price subsides next year, KH will still be a Tsunami of green kWh's. '
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs