Eggs?

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Stinsy

Re: Eggs?

Post by Stinsy »

Mr Gus wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:54 pm £5 per big tray (2.5 dozen) our way bought some the other day, from source at the local kennels & livestock / pet supply store.
When we were on the farm ourselves we used a victorian cast iron wheels raised hen house (mainly)

it was out in the field open space & wired in, never saw a rat as I guess it was too exposed for their liking with nowhere to hide but the wheels which being metal & spoked max visibility.

Chicken farming (any bird) is something the govt seems (no surprise to be avoiding dealing with) It may not make sense but I'm curious as to what a properly designed semi outdoor bubble on a big scale could do & how much energy to run, avian flu has screwed poultry of a better life be it ridiculously short for meat or as a layer.

Surely this is also where govt experimentation with bi-facial solar design could again be beneficial if design was taken seriously for welfare & food supply on a commercial scale & also "garden / smallholder" design

Eggs are fantastic proteins, people eat too much of the meat & not enough appreciation of the egg imho.

I cooked off a garlic chicken yesterday (3/4 for the dogs) with a bit to shred for heavy on the salad chicken wraps / stir fry ..the carcass gets gleaned to hell, except where carcass stock is concerned. ..but I'm keener to enjoy the eggs than the meat.

(Last night sliced & oiled zyliss mandolin potato's in the air fryer, fresh fried eggs (chili seasoned cornish sea salt) ..lip smacking

Re-assess your salt, not your salt intake ;) ..flavour-town
+1 for we should all eat more eggs! I average 4 a day and feel better for it! The larger proportion of calories I get from Fat/protein the healthier I become...

Unfortionatly misinformation linking dietary cholesterol to the stuff blocking arteries persists.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Yep, with you there stinsy, 100%

A few more eggs can mean a helluva lot less meat in lightweight form that rarely needs the additional expense of plastic packaging & refrigeration.

A heavy week for me is 9 eggs, typically eaten in 3's to complement the fish & rice. ..if there are no eggs for wifes gammon topping there's "words" :lol:
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I like my eggs best when cooked into a nice victoria sponge cake with thick iced sugar cream and fresh jam (no preference as long as its delicious) with a cup of tea to chase :)

Otherwise me and the 5yo both enjoy poached egg on toast regularly, hes not a fan of scrambled egg though but I like them as the fastest of fast food.

Moxi
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Technically the fastest of foods, cannot remember the last time I swapped sous vide convenience for a proper scrambled egg, too easy to cook, chill & store a not quite poached egg, (which you can finish properly a few days later or simply re-heat) ..me less energy & water cutting out the dirty process of poached egg swirly perfection, ..& as on other threads less of the white by volume GRRR! ..sod presentation :lol:

I grimace at the thought of a "egg bitty" bag for scrambles, also the cooking at 75c is a tad higher than I tend to sous vide energy consciously at generally.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recip ... mbled-eggs

Now you've got me interested, but.. "packaging" dilemma, considering how well packaged the average egg is anyway! :evil:
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

Do my poached eggs (expects flaming!) in cling film! Little olive oil, salt and pepper, wrap egg so no air in pocket, sling in water, lift out 3mins 30 secs later if off side, 4mins 15 secs if out of fridge (rarely these days)
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

No flaming Niko, I sous vide in bags much of the time.

I would like to see a video of that to understand the technique if you know of any!

Is the clingfilm cleanable & salvageable afterwards though? or landfill? ..shops started taking clingfilm as the return of soft plastics scheme, if it's clean.

It's the temperature that concerns me & leachate from the plastic (potentially) also why I prefer lower sous vide cooking temps of certified sous vide clipseal bags as a hopefully added layer of security. (bacofoil brand, costco for best bulk prices of the very useful 1 litre bag) generally washable & recyclable.

Clingfilm is very thin, so I'd urge caution & exploration from a trusted resource as to "leach or not"
65c is the comfortable temp for my bags (which are rated way higher) but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Gents are you not technically cooking coddled eggs :twisted: as you are effectively containerising them ?

Myself, its boiling water, stir circular motion twice and then crack in the egg, visually watch for around two minutes till the white is no longer snotty and then out on to the toast, smack of salt and away we go!

Moxi
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

Mr Gus wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:49 pm No flaming Niko, I sous vide in bags much of the time.

I would like to see a video of that to understand the technique if you know of any!

Is the clingfilm cleanable & salvageable afterwards though? or landfill? ..shops started taking clingfilm as the return of soft plastics scheme, if it's clean.

It's the temperature that concerns me & leachate from the plastic (potentially) also why I prefer lower sous vide cooking temps of certified sous vide clipseal bags as a hopefully added layer of security. (bacofoil brand, costco for best bulk prices of the very useful 1 litre bag) generally washable & recyclable.

Clingfilm is very thin, so I'd urge caution & exploration from a trusted resource as to "leach or not"
65c is the comfortable temp for my bags (which are rated way higher) but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.
Not sure on video, James Martin demonstrated it on one of his shows!

Unfortunately, landfill at this time :(

Lay out clingfilm on side, little oil and seasoning in the centre.

Loosely place cling film over top of coffee mug forming a slight depression in the middle, crack egg into cling film. Collect up all sides of film and twist together, forcing any air out of the parcel.

I tend to then use a steel skewer and pierce through the twisted film, so you can get 3 or 4 in one batch. Place skewer over the rolling boil pan so eggs are submerged. Put toast on!

Will review our film to see if leaching should be a concern, bacofoil from memory??
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I've never managed to satisfactorily poach an egg by dropping it into water. Magic vortex and vinegar made no difference. I just ended up with eggy-water. Egg poacher with the 4x little dishes over boiling water, lid on to steam, just gave perfect results every time.

These days most of my eggs are consumed in omelette form, with a little cheese and ham, cooked in beef dripping in a cast iron pan.

One of the best things I ever did was cutting out nut and seed oils. I know a bunch of people who'se health improved dramatically within a few weeks of cutting them out.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

A tiny chinese fat skimmer is what I use for the water miser "proper poached egg" ..however the loss of so much white is abysmal, unless you crack the egg in shell, drain off a mass of excess white, THEN hit the remains with the water vortex to keep it together (i'm lazy, it's wasteful method for neatness & you have to bin or use up the egg white left overs ..thus my disdain for proper over sous vide & chilled, good for a week in the fridge method that can just be brought back up to in shell gooey yolk goodness.

The tiny fat skimmer will give we the amateur poacher enough vortex & control to up our poaching game, wife likes perfection, I like whole whites, thus how I get the practise.

Have yet to poach a goose egg.

Also, egg pricking helps a simple in shell egg along nicely whether it is a soft boiled egg or peelers, the lift & separate is akin to what the wonderbra does for flatter chested girls.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS