HVDC Interconnectors

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
AE-NMidlands

Re: HVDC Interconnectors

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:17 am Is there any progress/news over the development of a HVDC with Morocco or a link to the Continental HVDC system ?

Don’t know what comes first - the solar farms or the ability to move the electrons about ?
Chicken and egg? Is either viable or even needed without the other?
Anyway, UK to Norway is apparently the world's longest at 450 miles, Morocco is about 3 times the distance.
Surely it must make more sense to go overland (and share capacity and costs with other countries on the way?)
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWh pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWh batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWh pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

If only we were part of a multi-National organisation working together towards common goals etc :twisted:

I think both have been proposed - the EU network appearing the, at face value, the most obvious. Although, if we are keen to develop greater independence, maybe the Morocco-U.K. interconnector.

We do seem to be cosying up to Morocco post Brexit - think there’s a new ferry (? Freight only) being introduced from Portsmouth to Morocco.

Piping solar from Morocco sounds a good foil to U.K. off-shore wind - suppose it depends on cost/resilience.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

One of the fallouts of Brexit is that we are no longer in the EU integrated energy market, and as such, the cost to trade electricity through the HVDCs is now a fair bit more expensive - but it's still cheaper than buying gas from Putin.

There is planned a sub-sea HVDC to connect Australia to SIngapore as part of a planned 10GW solar farm that is going to be built in the Northern Territories- and that's 4500km! That would make the long-stalled UK-Iceland interconnector seem like childs play, but would also certainly show that Morocco wouldn't be out of the question engineering-wise?

https://suncable.sg/
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

dan_b wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:39 am One of the fallouts of Brexit is that we are no longer in the EU integrated energy market, and as such, the cost to trade electricity through the HVDCs is now a fair bit more expensive - but it's still cheaper than buying gas from Putin.

There is planned a sub-sea HVDC to connect Australia to SIngapore as part of a planned 10GW solar farm that is going to be built in the Northern Territories- and that's 4500km! That would make the long-stalled UK-Iceland interconnector seem like childs play, but would also certainly show that Morocco wouldn't be out of the question engineering-wise?

I thought that they had decided it would be cheaper (and more flexible) to move ammonia by ship?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWh pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWh batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWh pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Looks to me like they've realised that the associated additional extra infrastructure required, and the inefficiencies in the whole process, means it's just cheaper and quicker to lay big fat long cables.
Mart

Post by Mart »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:41 am
dan_b wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:39 am One of the fallouts of Brexit is that we are no longer in the EU integrated energy market, and as such, the cost to trade electricity through the HVDCs is now a fair bit more expensive - but it's still cheaper than buying gas from Putin.

I thought that they had decided it would be cheaper (and more flexible) to move ammonia by ship?
A
I think the idea keeps going back and for, but I also thought the latest idea was to go down the ammonia route. It also allows them to build this out in a modular way, 'simply' increasing the number of ships in line with the amount of generation capacity rollout, and electrolysis rollout, rather than the whole investment waiting till the cables are finished and commissioned before any payback ensues.

What excites me the most about these schemes (Aus to Singapore and Aus to Japan), is that they will work through the technologies, costs, problems etc, in the near future, which will hopefully help many other countries with their plans and thoughts going forward.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

I expect it comes back to the economics of efficiency - much like using electricity to produce hydrogen to produce electricity in a fuel cell vehicle is woefully inefficient, using electricity to make hydrogen to make ammonia to make hydrogen to make electricity 5000 miles away sounds like an exercise in thermodynamic futility?
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Looks like the 1GW ElecLink HVDC from UK to France, via the Channel Tunnel, has completed its testing phase and is now ready for full commercial operation.

https://www.4coffshore.com/news/1-gw-el ... 24273.html
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

I noticed that Panorama mentioned another UK France link in the planning last night.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

3 more with France are planned for another 4.8GW of connections:

2GW AQUIND link landing at Portsmouth (which is mired in local planning controversy)
1.4GW FAB Link landing in Exeter (via Alderney) which was due to start construction this year
1.4GW GridLink, landing in Kingsnorth in Kent which is due to start construction next year.