Idiot's guide to a self build battery

sw25481

Re: Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Post by sw25481 »

I had some bad luck and it seems my second batch of batteries was damaged while being shipped. Colin has obviously immediately offered to sort it.

Two of the batteries were crushed in the corner and obviously can not be used. What I could do with some advice about is the others. 9 of the batteries (including one of the crushed ones) has weeped a very small amount of fluid from the pressure relief valves. I do not see this at all on my first batch or the other 7 batteries, (including one that was crushed). Other than the fluid these batteries seem visually undamaged and the window does not feel different to the unblemished ones.

Is this something that just happens or do these batteries need replacing as well?

Fintray

Post by Fintray »

That is annoying!
I would ask Colin for his opinion on the other batteries.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Caesium

Post by Caesium »

Ouch. That happened through the two inches of foam they're packed in? Must have been a hell of a whack.

Personally I'd use the leaking cell(s), I don't think thats much to worry about. It's not even broken the scored lines so there's no pressure there? Probably start with a low C discharge/charge test to see if it gets any worse. Maybe outside :) They could at least be spares to replace other cells in the future.

The crushed ones certainly need binning. Hopefully your recycling centre will take them?
marshman

Post by marshman »

I'm with Fintray, in the first instance give Colin all the details of all the "faulty" cells and see what he comes back with.

Fluid "leaking" is not right, the cells may well be useable but obviously something is wrong and who is to say how they will perform long term (10 years +). I have 64 of these cells and they all perform the same, no dents, no leaks (I have just checked !!).

I am sure Colin/Deriy will resolve the issue and I would keep communication just between them for now to give them chance to resolve things. Co
Colin Deng

Post by Colin Deng »

sw25481 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:55 am I had some bad luck and it seems my second batch of batteries was damaged while being shipped. Colin has obviously immediately offered to sort it.

Two of the batteries were crushed in the corner and obviously can not be used. What I could do with some advice about is the others. 9 of the batteries (including one of the crushed ones) has weeped a very small amount of fluid from the pressure relief valves. I do not see this at all on my first batch or the other 7 batteries, (including one that was crushed). Other than the fluid these batteries seem visually undamaged and the window does not feel different to the unblemished ones.

Is this something that just happens or do these batteries need replacing as well?

Sorry for the damage
We have notify our shipping agency as well as my boss about this problem
We will soon have answer , but might need some test also

Re the leak , it might be the steam , the battery is fully sealed
When the temperature is too hot , it might happen to this
We have customer also feedback that the cells might get wet when they receive

Can test the cells voltage or the resistance first , see if it works
Or with the small current load of the cells

Quality problem or the shipping damage is within the warranty terms
We will take care of it
Colin Deng(Batterycolin)
Battery supplier for battery cells and pack
Email:guohed070@gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/colin-deng-2b4277238/
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

You have packaging design, you perform drop tests & approve / re-work it.

Then you still have to deal with, bad luck, idiots, & DNGAF couriers at every stage.

We used to test our kit via a top of the stairs test, it was good, but far from perfect, gave us an overview of potentiality.

couriers 50 metres away from our factory see-sawing our speakers onto a lorry, repetitious damage, or stacking like jenga some 15 feet in the air because, time, short-cut's & "they'll never know"

Just wait for Colin to get back to you, it will sadly be a weekly occurrence & part of the shipping gamble, not the sellers fault, chance via many hands to get it across the world.

Wow, still writing, & colin's in like flynn ..already :D
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
sw25481

Post by sw25481 »

I have ordered an internal resistance checker just to be on the safe side. Should know in a few days If they are not damaged I obviously would prefer to get on with the project. I can run my two packs with 15 cells until I can get replacement for the crushed ones.

Thanks all. I’ll let you know how I get on.
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

I’ve just got another 36kWh (well over 50 total now)of batteries, need to figure out a cost effective BMS soon. The new packs are more convenient with a loom already installed so I could potentially just move a balancing circuit between packs. Anyone else with a biggish battery share do something similar?
nowty

Post by nowty »

Jinx wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:59 pm I’ve just got another 36kWh (well over 50 total now)of batteries, need to figure out a cost effective BMS soon. The new packs are more convenient with a loom already installed so I could potentially just move a balancing circuit between packs. Anyone else with a biggish battery share do something similar?
Sort of, I don't move my balancer between packs, just parallel up (all cells with fused links) in 5 battery packs and put the balancer on the middle battery pack. The balancing ripples out to all 5 battery packs.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =10#p13066

EDIT - I should add I have one balancer to 24kWh worth of cells.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Thanks Nowty. So far I’ve experienced no unbalance with the smaller packs but I am sticking to a 20% min charge and a very conservative discharge rate.

On a separate note, I’ve added another kW of solar but on a flat roof for now. Even in June I’ve had several days where the battery has finished lower than it started.