Ioniq 5 rapidgates

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Oliver90owner

Re: Ioniq 5 rapidgates

Post by Oliver90owner »

For a vehicle that should cover in excess of 200miles per charge, as I see it he should only have needed to charge it twice!

so my question still stands - what size battery was in use?
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Everything I’ve seen about BEVs and long trips says it is better and quicker to do little-and-often WRT charging. Even a 300-mile BEV should stop every 100 miles for a 10-minute charge.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mart

Post by Mart »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:51 am Everything I’ve seen about BEVs and long trips says it is better and quicker to do little-and-often WRT charging. Even a 300-mile BEV should stop every 100 miles for a 10-minute charge.
Yep, and it also reduces the amount of time that the charger is occupied, since at the higher end the charging will take ages.

With these 'tests' he also tries to beat a time of 10hrs, so again more short charges at higher charge rates would help ..... so long as the car isn't coldgating/rapidgating!
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Not really - no one drives from 100% to 0% before recharging back to 100%. That's the slowest way to progress. Sure you will start with 100% but after that, with all EVs, the recharging rates drop dramatically the higher the SoC. Apart from the Fat e-Tron as that has a colossal top buffer and lies about its actual SoC.

The Ioniq5 in the test is the Project 45 model, which has a 72kWh battery.
Oliver90owner wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:33 pm For a vehicle that should cover in excess of 200miles per charge, as I see it he should only have needed to charge it twice!

so my question still stands - what size battery was in use?
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

How far will one of these cars actually travel, on a full charge, at 70mph?
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

No idea I'm afraid. Probably enough for 2 hours of driving though before requiring a re-charge, which would probably coincide with the driver's need for a coffee and a wee. So I would guestimate 150-180 miles?

Certainly was the case with my TM3 last summer in France - albeit driving at 90mph on the French Autoroutes (on Autopilot), it was capable of going further than I was between stops. But stopping every 2 hours for a break and a quick blast from the Supercharger to get back on the road was a good rhythm. So was going about 180-200 miles between charges. Ok if I had driven slower, it would have gone further between charges, but I'd still be wanting to stop regularly. Who knows. It's probably far enough.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Add to the fact that French / Swiss highway autoroutes are pretty fast driving anyway at 81 / 130 kph, "alleged" speed reductions for bad weather.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mart

Post by Mart »

Oliver90owner wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:25 am How far will one of these cars actually travel, on a full charge, at 70mph?
In the video the car achieves 278Wh/km, and in the previous test of that car it managed 261Wh/km, which isn't actually that good. His test of the TM3 LR was 186Wh/km.

Using the figure Dan gives of a 72kWh battery, then that's a maximum of about 260 kilometres or 160 miles from 100% to 0%, but he does mention wet roads and headwinds. The earlier and better result would give about 275kM or 170 miles.

More concerning to me was that after charging when the battery was hot, he was getting a lot less power when driving, until the batts cooled down. You see him trying to accelerate hard, but only seeing a battery discharge rate of ~70kW, which is approx 94bhp - more than enough to reach and sustain 70mph, but a lot less power than expected, which can't be nice to experience if you don't expect it.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Mart wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:21 pm
Oliver90owner wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:25 am How far will one of these cars actually travel, on a full charge, at 70mph?
In the video the car achieves 278Wh/km, and in the previous test of that car it managed 261Wh/km, which isn't actually that good. His test of the TM3 LR was 186Wh/km.

Using the figure Dan gives of a 72kWh battery, then that's a maximum of about 260 kilometres or 160 miles from 100% to 0%, but he does mention wet roads and headwinds. The earlier and better result would give about 275kM or 170 miles.

More concerning to me was that after charging when the battery was hot, he was getting a lot less power when driving, until the batts cooled down. You see him trying to accelerate hard, but only seeing a battery discharge rate of ~70kW, which is approx 94bhp - more than enough to reach and sustain 70mph, but a lot less power than expected, which can't be nice to experience if you don't expect it.
Seems very much like Hyundai cheaped out on the thermal management of the battery pack! Remember the "rapidgate" Leafs had no thermal management of the battery pack at all.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

The Ioniq5 is a BIG car. It's hard to tell from photos, or even when you're next to it when it's by itself, but if you see it next to other vehicles, it really does reveal its bulk - and in particular how tall it is. That comes with a clear impact on frontal area, and therefore relatively poor efficiency.

They've definitely got some serious work to do on the thermal management of the battery pack - wonder if it can do OTA updates and if it can be solved by tweaking the software around active heating and active cooling of the battery?

Wonder if the same issues will afflict the Kia EV6?