Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:58 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:32 pm Also started work on a pallet wall which will be used to improve a view of a sun scorched hedge section (used to be a greenhouse there years ago).
Are you are going to stuff the rear of those pallets with a variety of bug-friendly bedding? Straw in some, bundles of hollow stems in others, some clay drainage pipes near the bottom...
A bee metropolis is planned at the back. :D
Others welcome.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Keep a moist, covered area at the bottom/ground level, Joe.

We have loads of Slow Worms (they up by you ?) in similar situations.

Creating different/varied garden micro environments is such an easy and positive thing.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:05 pm Keep a moist, covered area at the bottom/ground level, Joe.

We have loads of Slow Worms (they up by you ?) in similar situations.

Creating different/varied garden micro environments is such an easy and positive thing.
I can't say I've seen slow worms. I'll be trying to encourage as much life in as i can. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Wildlife just loves pronounced / raised screw-heads joe ..if you want to try & rankle the wife ;)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Amazing how the tech leaps ever onwards. We had a monitor crater a few years ago. As luck would have it we had the chance at a 43" Panasonic viera plasma that was on its way to the skip. It has done well but started to give up this morning with vertical banding.

Had a look online and hotfooted it down to Curry's for a 43" led smart TV. A grand total of £349. Its excellent, 43.25" case dia v's 47". Resolution in the 4000's v' 3,000's, it is way, way sharper. Has Netflix etc al onboard v's nothing at all. Sadly its power rated as G. :o

Hold on though, G? Out came the meter, the Panasonic was pulling 383W. The Samsung is pulling 45W! That is an 88.3% reduction in power consumption. I am agog, must be the last comparatively high draw piece of kit in the house, well hopefully.

Incredible! 8-)

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stuff has got so efficient over time that what used to be A or A+ has now been demoted to maybe an F or G. So you can compare old with old, or new with new, but not old with new, if that makes sense.

The label scale has been re-calibrated.

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/energy ... d-to-know/
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stig

Post by Stig »

I'm not particularly surprised, even before LED backlights came in, plasma screens were always higher power than LCD-based technology.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:49 pm Stuff has got so efficient over time that what used to be A or A+ has now been demoted to maybe an F or G. So you can compare old with old, or new with new, but not old with new, if that makes sense.

The label scale has been re-calibrated.

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/energy ... d-to-know/
I had an inkling that there had been a scale reboot. Thanks for the link, it will help others too. At a guess this PC is up and running around 30 hours per week. At 30p per kWh to buy from grid like a normal person these are the costs.

Old Panasonic £179.24 pa
New Samsung £21.06 pa

A difference of £158.18 pa or 2.2 yrs to break even at 30 hours per week.

I did expect a difference but this result is stark and makes me wonder what load a A rated TV pulls these days? :shock:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:24 pm Amazing how the tech leaps ever onwards. We had a monitor crater a few years ago. As luck would have it we had the chance at a 43" Panasonic viera plasma that was on its way to the skip. It has done well but started to give up this morning with vertical banding.

Had a look online and hotfooted it down to Curry's for a 43" led smart TV. A grand total of £349. Its excellent, 43.25" case dia v's 47". Resolution in the 4000's v' 3,000's, it is way, way sharper. Has Netflix etc al onboard v's nothing at all. Sadly its power rated as G. :o

Hold on though, G? Out came the meter, the Panasonic was pulling 383W. The Samsung is pulling 45W! That is an 88.3% reduction in power consumption. I am agog, must be the last comparatively high draw piece of kit in the house, well hopefully.

Incredible! 8-)

I have a MacBook I bought a few months back. Charges in the cheap period. I guess it'll take a while to payback, but one benefit of a laptop over desktop is that it effortlessly shifts power consumption!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I'm amazed folk still aren't more concerned over energy per hour on goggle boxes & the like, plasma era being a case in point.

We paid a premium for the only smasung LED tv we had that didn't crap out, the smallest, oldest unit for the bedroom, over the years wife has said (esp as it lost a pixel or two finally the other year) about getting a new one or replacing the viera plasma (also hardly used), ..they get around 8 hours per year since we all got tablets, what is the point?

(so I stuck an optoma led projector there & left the tv intact)

I will eventually crack, a few years back to replace another barely used replaced 2x already crappy samsung tv I bought a nice philips tv for the dining room, 50 inch gaming tv from good old richer sounds, spot on, though it would now be classed as "D"? ..it was an "A" 3 year back, it only consumes around 75w ..which is about the same as the small 20 year old upstairs samsung unit.

I did indulge in another Richer toy for the tv, as any flat tv speaker would harm my mental & aural wellbeing, so bought a much needed JBL soundbar for around £65 on a price match, it rocks, bluetooth & all that, but energy got the better of me so I bought some closed cup headphones instead. ..lesson learnt.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more