Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Bugtownboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Bugtownboy »

We’ve been building walls in the garden to finish off (I hope) our garden projects.

As we’ve been going around doing jobs, we’ve encountered a lot of local stone (Moulham Stone) - a sedimentary rock similar to Ham stone but of a lower quality.

As well as ‘rocks’ there were plenty of worked stone (parts of a mullioned window, coping and kneeling stones) that must have come from a building on our current site - we understand the land was originally used as stabling for a Coach House in the then Main Street.

This was part of the Exeter to London turnpike.

Anyway, being a sedimentary rock, we regularly come across fossils - usually shellfish type (Scallop, Clam, Razor Clam in modern terms.).

Occasionally we find an Ammonite, or something similar.

Always pleased me to find them - thought I’d share some of the recent findings.

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:02 pm We’ve been building walls in the garden to finish off (I hope) our garden projects.

As we’ve been going around doing jobs, we’ve encountered a lot of local stone (Moulham Stone) - a sedimentary rock similar to Ham stone but of a lower quality.

As well as ‘rocks’ there were plenty of worked stone (parts of a mullioned window, coping and kneeling stones) that must have come from a building on our current site - we understand the land was originally used as stabling for a Coach House in the then Main Street.

This was part of the Exeter to London turnpike.

Anyway, being a sedimentary rock, we regularly come across fossils - usually shellfish type (Scallop, Clam, Razor Clam in modern terms.).

Occasionally we find an Ammonite, or something similar.

Always pleased me to find them - thought I’d share some of the recent findings.

Liking the fossils but more so on the worked stone coming up out of the ground. Very cool.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Joeboy wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:28 pm Liking the fossils but more so on the worked stone coming up out of the ground. Very cool.
The stone encapsulated ones are now part of a wall (planters/raised beds).

We also incorporated, rightly or wrongly, all of the worked stone where we could.

Conscious it’s part of the house/plot history.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:48 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:28 pm Liking the fossils but more so on the worked stone coming up out of the ground. Very cool.
The stone encapsulated ones are now part of a wall (planters/raised beds).

We also incorporated, rightly or wrongly, all of the worked stone where we could.

Conscious it’s part of the house/plot history.
I'm sure the masons who worked it would approve and that's what matters?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Hope so.

Some of the coping stones/kneeling stones (may be a local term) we’ve used are just at my comfortable limit to lift.

How they get them up onto a roof (20’ plus) and fitted them, best part of 300 years ago, is staggering.

There’s some hefty bits of limestone.

I agree with you Joe, it’s try to pay some sort of homage to the house/location and the people that built around us.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:26 pm Hope so.

Some of the coping stones/kneeling stones (may be a local term) we’ve used are just at my comfortable limit to lift.

How they get them up onto a roof (20’ plus) and fitted them, best part of 300 years ago, is staggering.

There’s some hefty bits of limestone.

I agree with you Joe, it’s try to pay some sort of homage to the house/location and the people that built around us.
Shall there be photos at some point? 8-)

Levers, fulcrum points, ramps, rollers, pulleys, quad reaving. kinetic energy and mass within direction of movement. Gotta love it all. 😀 When we were really feeling it, you could use the heave of the ship to assist in ops. Literally harnessing the seastates power for a moment. That was epic, beyond using gravity as a tool.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Pics ? Sometime - think we’ll get all the stonework/walls/paving done soonish. Then re-doing a flight of steps as part of the project.

If we can get thIs done, down to me to fettle and fit some hardwood detail.

May be this year, but we’ll be getting other things finished for our winter sojourn to Lanza.

Sure there’ll be a progress update - it’s an awkward site. We’ve , so far, moved 13 ton of materials down 25 steps after moving from dummy’s/pallets on the drive 30 metres away.

All in barrows/builders buckets.

Mrs BtB’s worked hard this year :lol:

It’s our home based keep-fit programme ;)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:28 pm Pics ? Sometime - think we’ll get all the stonework/walls/paving done soonish. Then re-doing a flight of steps as part of the project.

If we can get thIs done, down to me to fettle and fit some hardwood detail.

May be this year, but we’ll be getting other things finished for our winter sojourn to Lanza.

Sure there’ll be a progress update - it’s an awkward site. We’ve , so far, moved 13 ton of materials down 25 steps after moving from dummy’s/pallets on the drive 30 metres away.

All in barrows/builders buckets.

Mrs BtB’s worked hard this year :lol:

It’s our home based keep-fit programme ;)
Backs OK I hope? Sounds great and Lanza well earned!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Know it sounds daft, but I really paid attention to any manual handling course. My job was never going to be a problem, but recognised home jobs, when you can be a bit more relaxed/easy were a bigger risk - lifting a 25Kg bag of cement from the boot for example.

Also realised doing a very informal risk assessment- stop and think mainly - is sensible.

Not doing anything with power tools in a rush or when tired etc.

Not that I’m overly cautious, just learned from mistakes/near misses.

Backs are OK - always stop for a brew when you’ve done enough for the session.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:40 pm Know it sounds daft, but I really paid attention to any manual handling course. My job was never going to be a problem, but recognised home jobs, when you can be a bit more relaxed/easy were a bigger risk - lifting a 25Kg bag of cement from the boot for example.

Also realised doing a very informal risk assessment- stop and think mainly - is sensible.

Not doing anything with power tools in a rush or when tired etc.

Not that I’m overly cautious, just learned from mistakes/near misses.

Backs are OK - always stop for a brew when you’ve done enough for the session.
Doesn't sound daft at all. Tbt's & RA's save major injuries. Working at height too. 3 points of contact n all that. All the best on the proj btb.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs