Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Joeboy

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:25 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:28 pm Anyone have any insight as to how battery storage works with pre-existing community funds for RE? (would be interesting to know in order to be able to present its case & perhaps all the more reason for a few communities to just say, add another turbine & it's output worked into "community" provision.
When asked in the past about battery storage with their projects, Ripple have commented that it becomes more complicated because you end up with more of a financial type investment through energy trading rather than a simple project to delivery your own leccy supply. I know thats partly illusional, but its their current business model.

I was wondering myself whether CoOp rules would effectively preclude a battery type project but I don't think so as at least one battery asset has been offered recently via Thrive Renewables and Bristol Energy CoOperative. Why did we miss that ? :evil:
https://www.energy-storage.news/thrive- ... age-asset/

https://bristolenergy.coop/win-for-bris ... y-storage/
Not where I'd place £'s. Just a way too wee. Nice to see though.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:19 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:28 pm Anyone have any insight as to how battery storage works with pre-existing community funds for RE? (would be interesting to know in order to be able to present its case & perhaps all the more reason for a few communities to just say, add another turbine & it's output worked into "community" provision.
When asked in the past about battery storage with their projects, Ripple have commented that it becomes more complicated because you end up with more of a financial type investment through energy trading rather than a simple project to delivery your own leccy supply. I know thats partly illusional, but its their current business model.

I was wondering myself whether CoOp rules would effectively preclude a battery type project but I don't think so as at least one battery asset has been offered recently via Thrive Renewables and Bristol Energy CoOperative. Why did we miss that ? :evil:

20MW / 30MWh project, I estimate probably going to cost £15m to £20m, how big do you want ?
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:36 pm

20MW / 30MWh project, I estimate probably going to cost £15m to £20m, how big do you want ?
I'll know it when I see it. £20 million is not a big project. I say this in full awareness of Ripple project size (s)(& as generators not storage). To qualify further as a first pass, whoTF are Thrive and what would make them standout? I'd never think of them again as I see nothing compelling and enough to be off-putting. Could be wrong but not with my money...
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:44 pm
nowty wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:36 pm

I'll know it when I see it. £20 million is not a big project. I say this in full awareness of Ripple project size (s)(& as generators not storage). To qualify further as a first pass, whoTF are Thrive and what would make them standout? I'd never think of them again as I see nothing compelling and enough to be off-putting. Could be wrong but not with my money...
Apologies for self quoting, for anyone seeking smaller RE investment these two sites are quite well known.
https://energy4all.co.uk/
https://www.abundanceinvestment.com/

Although with closed end solar, wind & storage funds offering from 5.5% to over 7% pa return the 4.5% offered above doesn't float my boat not when I can get 6% at the bank with no risk and a fscs warranty on £85k per banking group per person. Sorry, didn't mean to go off track but I think these wee details are worth bringing up?

I would expect that generators will literally generate a better return than storage? Will have to look into that when I get back. Of course you've got to be in it to win it at all and GF certainly showed that.

GF doing well today with scope to improve and is smashing all the above mentioned rates of return at 17.096% ROI so far this year 😀 :o

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

I think you've missed the point of Gus's question about storage in community projects and how it might work. I was illustrating that although there has been some resistance from Ripple about such projects, there is now at least one CoOP actually buying into a storage project.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:36 am I think you've missed the point of Gus's question about storage in community projects and how it might work. I was illustrating that although there has been some resistance from Ripple about such projects, there is now at least one CoOP buying into storage which I was previously unaware off.
Which is great 👍 but at low returns it is worth highlighting what else is out there and easily accessible. Which being honest is where I am and what I do.

It does show how easy even a £20M community project can slip past the radar. :ugeek: I'm glad to see that they beat off the diesel scenario.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:52 am
nowty wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:36 am I think you've missed the point of Gus's question about storage in community projects and how it might work. I was illustrating that although there has been some resistance from Ripple about such projects, there is now at least one CoOP buying into storage which I was previously unaware off.
Which is great 👍 but at low returns it is worth highlighting what else is out there and easily accessible. It does show how easy even a £20M community project can slip past the radar. :ugeek:
Agreed, there are also closed end storage funds readily available which pay similar returns as solar and wind, some are also becoming multi faceted ones.

There are several income streams available to storage projects which are not available to pure generators, from one of mine,

Asset optimisation – the ability to maximise income from the wholesale market and the Balancing Mechanism (through which National Grid balance intra half-hourly supply and demand).

Firm Frequency Response – the provision of a dynamic (i.e. proportionate) response to small supply-demand imbalances, second by second, based on changes in the GB grid’s electrical frequency.

Capacity Market – a UK government mechanism whereby generators (including batteries) are paid a fixed fee for being on call to deliver power when required at times of extreme need (known as ‘stress events’).

Grid payments – at times of peak demand National Grid make Triad payments to generators (including batteries) during the three peak half-hours when demand is highest for the year.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:09 am
Joeboy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:52 am
Which is great 👍 but at low returns it is worth highlighting what else is out there and easily accessible. It does show how easy even a £20M community project can slip past the radar. :ugeek:
Agreed, there are also closed end storage funds readily available which pay similar returns as solar and wind, some are also becoming multi faceted ones.

There are several income streams available to storage projects which are not available to pure generators, from one of mine,

Asset optimisation – the ability to maximise income from the wholesale market and the Balancing Mechanism (through which National Grid balance intra half-hourly supply and demand).

Firm Frequency Response – the provision of a dynamic (i.e. proportionate) response to small supply-demand imbalances, second by second, based on changes in the GB grid’s electrical frequency.

Capacity Market – a UK government mechanism whereby generators (including batteries) are paid a fixed fee for being on call to deliver power when required at times of extreme need (known as ‘stress events’).

Grid payments – at times of peak demand National Grid make Triad payments to generators (including batteries) during the three peak half-hours when demand is highest for the year.
We are likely in the same RE funds! The reasonable AMC with a dilution of risk of single asset failure wiping out the entire investment. Attractive but not as much fun as watching the big turbine spin.

I'd really like to get into some offshore wind turbine assets. Fingers crossed that Ripple can piggyback onto one and the returns are favourable. In saying that and with all my big hard-nosed chat I'd likely go in anyway! :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:16 am I'd really like to get into some offshore wind turbine assets. Fingers crossed that Ripple can piggyback onto one and the returns are favourable. In saying that and with all my big hard-nosed chat I'd likely go in anyway! :lol:
The initial returns for offshore wind are quite low with their CFD contracts, we have already seen one company last week pulling out of building one off Norfolk, https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =18&t=2355

But the price is guaranteed with annual RPI uplift, so I'd be happy to hold as pension income. The capacity factors are better offshore but then thats offset by higher construction and maintenance costs.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:11 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:16 am I'd really like to get into some offshore wind turbine assets. Fingers crossed that Ripple can piggyback onto one and the returns are favourable. In saying that and with all my big hard-nosed chat I'd likely go in anyway! :lol:
The initial returns for offshore wind are quite low with their CFD contracts, we have already seen one company last week pulling out of building one off Norfolk, https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =18&t=2355

But the price is guaranteed with annual RPI uplift, so I'd be happy to hold as pension income. The capacity factors are better offshore but then thats offset by higher construction and maintenance costs.
It's the badge though? Been there, got the Tshirt but we haven't. Not directly. :(

I'll be sitting down and going through our RE stuff soon. Hitting 55 in Jan so gotta slide some stuff around and buy more RE in the ISA's Spring 24 onward.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs