PV Expansion - Wall Mounted Experimentation

MrPablo

Re: PV Expansion - Wall Mounted Experimentation

Post by MrPablo »

It might be a little left field, but I've had zero issues with the timber approach. It's worked fine for both garage and wall mounting and shows no sign of movement or damage.

The most awkward part for me was actually getting the panel into position, so anything you can do to have good access is suggested.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
64kWh Kia E-Niro
nowty

Post by nowty »

+1 for wood, no issues either. 8-)
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I’m most comfortable working with wood. But the few times I’ve used strut I’ve entitled very much indeed.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Sim_C

Post by Sim_C »

Wow, so many ideas and experiences, and I thought I was asking a straightforward question.

Many thanks for all the contributions.

Now to see what mounting materials are readily available and at a sensible price.

The reason I was steering away from standard rail panel clamps is that they are specifically rated for sloping roofs up to about 60 or 70 degrees, not vertical at 90 degrees, so wanted to use direct bolting to the fixing holes already in the panel frames. Of course they may be over-engineered so suitable anyway.

Is this the sort of end clamp that can be used on unistrut with an M8 zeb?

East Midlands
6x410W-East-Roof
10x410W-West-Roof
GivEnergy 5 kW Gen2 hybrid + 9.5 kWh battery
6x375W-South-Vertical
Solax 3.68 kW inverter
Zappi-Eddi
HI5-77 kWh
Ripple-PV-3kW/2900kWh-Wind-600W/1450kWh-UnderConstruction
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

It is easy enough to run the unistrut vertically and put the clamps top and bottom if you like. However the clamps should get a good purchase used on the sides of the panels. Personally I'd just go bolt-and-washer but can see why you'd want to spend a bit more for proper panel clamps.

Like I said above, they screw straight into a zeb...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
smegal

Post by smegal »

Sim_C wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:49 pm Wow, so many ideas and experiences, and I thought I was asking a straightforward question.

Many thanks for all the contributions.

Now to see what mounting materials are readily available and at a sensible price.

The reason I was steering away from standard rail panel clamps is that they are specifically rated for sloping roofs up to about 60 or 70 degrees, not vertical at 90 degrees, so wanted to use direct bolting to the fixing holes already in the panel frames. Of course they may be over-engineered so suitable anyway.

Is this the sort of end clamp that can be used on unistrut with an M8 zeb?

You simply discard the silver bottom rail clamp bit and bolt the bolt into a Zeb.

With a bit of creative ratchet spanner use and a short bolt, you probably could mount the panel to a zeb on unistrut but joints between panels would be tricky, so may need a normal clamp.