Octopus Flux

Swwils

Re: Octopus Flux

Post by Swwils »

"Being there when needed" is a very large width issue.

When you are calculating this, multiple entities have got this very wrong; your storage reserves will never be at 100% when needed and never at 0% when done - if you could do that you literally would have to have perfect weather and utilisation foresight over the entire electrical grid. Its an order of magnitude mistake with almost all evaluations of such systems.

The only way to counter balance this would be cost deflation (not happening), cheap overbuilding (not happening) or some magic event that we are all suddenly alot smarter.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Just realised that irrespective of whether I can get 15p export SEG from Octopus with IO, I could apply for 12p SEG with Scottish Power and still arbitrage with the 7.5p IO import from Octopus.

Me thinks I'm going to bite the bullet and opt out of FIT export. In any case I suspect it will be advantageous sooner or later to get an Export MPAN number associated with my Smart meter.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Swwils wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:55 pm "Being there when needed" is a very large width issue.

When you are calculating this, multiple entities have got this very wrong; your storage reserves will never be at 100% when needed and never at 0% when done - if you could do that you literally would have to have perfect weather and utilisation foresight over the entire electrical grid. Its an order of magnitude mistake with almost all evaluations of such systems.

The only way to counter balance this would be cost deflation (not happening), cheap overbuilding (not happening) or some magic event that we are all suddenly alot smarter.
We'll see how it plays out?Early days.
Again, your negativity is SO 😴. Who spoke about 100% or 0%? :roll:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:59 pm Just realised that irrespective of whether I can get 15p export SEG from Octopus with IO, I could apply for 12p SEG with Scottish Power and still arbitrage with the 7.5p IO import from Octopus.

Me thinks I'm going to bite the bullet and opt out of FIT export. In any case I suspect it will be advantageous sooner or later to get an Export MPAN number associated with my Smart meter.
Have you run the sums Nowty, do you (can you) export that much to be worthwhile dropping a dead cert payment? I'll be interested to see over time if the microgeneration plants are evenly distributed in relation to population density & demand.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:18 pm
nowty wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:59 pm Just realised that irrespective of whether I can get 15p export SEG from Octopus with IO, I could apply for 12p SEG with Scottish Power and still arbitrage with the 7.5p IO import from Octopus.

Have you run the sums Nowty, do you (can you) export that much to be worthwhile dropping a dead cert payment? I'll be interested to see over time if the microgeneration plants are evenly distributed in relation to population density & demand.
I don't actually even need to arbitrage through the battery. All I need to do is ALWAYS charge the EVs and heat the water from the grid during cheapslot hours, and export as much of the the excess power from the Solar as possible. That way there is no extra degradation of the batteries / battery inverter and no loss of efficiency cycling the power through the batteries.

In other words do exactly the opposite of what I do now in the main solar generating months.

On FIT deemed export I currently get 4.82p on just over 2000 kWh = £100

I currently export around 1,300 kWh so I would need at least 7.5p to get the same amount. So 12p SEG with Scottish Power that is worth it at circa £150. But with a change in behaviour there is 2,000 kWh of EV charging and about 1,000 kWh of hot water heating which could be flipped. There is also an unknown amount currently diverted to storage heaters in spring time. The balance of heat would be replaced with my A2A HPs which are more efficient.

So maybe a potential 3000 kWh extra could be exported, probably not all of it because of my export constraint. Seems to be a no brainer even if power prices drop further.

And in terms of carbon, I would be importing more dirtier grid power but I would still be offsetting that carbon with an almost equal amount of exported zero carbon leccy and used locally.

Interesting, very interesting.
Last edited by nowty on Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:07 pm
Swwils wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:55 pm "Being there when needed" is a very large width issue.

Almost every study and hence downstream calculation for feasibility or installation scale is done on the erroneous basis that the available storage will be at 100% filled just when its needed and then exactly at 0% when the intermittency event is over. This obviously ignores that we do not have perfect foresight nor is it even economic to leave storage reserves at 100% (decreasing response efficiency) regardless.

Don't confound this with a plunge event putting some money in your pocket.

It is not negativity it just looking at the idealized assumption. You experience this at a small scale with a home installation, in particular with carbon intensity, importing dirt grid power but *thinking* you will offsetting that later with export or local use - which is the not a clear cut case counterintuitively.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:07 pm

Hi Joe, actually that isn't technically negative, it's possibly the most positive statement in favour of storage that I've ever heard.

Think about it, he states that storage will never be at 100% when needed - not 'might not be', but 'never'. And also states that it will never be at 0% when done - not 'might not be', but 'never'.

So even though storage won't be completely full ('never'), it'll still be enough to cover any event, as it won't reach zero ('never').

So, the statement is actually saying that we'll always (opposite of never) be able to operate within the storage capacity. So no curtailment due to full storage (as it won't reach 100% before we need it), and no concerns about meeting periods of low generation due to zero storage (as it won't reach zero before the event is done).

Excellent news. ;)
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I am quite taken with the idea of existing infrastructure which is also being continually added to at micro level being utilised in a more efficient manner in local areas where its needed.

It's not a silver bullet by any means but it is a better utilisation of assets with the micro investors being rewarded.

There is cleverness in these actions. :ugeek:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
richbee

Post by richbee »

nowty wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:11 pm
Joeboy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:11 pm
nowty wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:56 am There is mass hysteria breaking on the Octopus Facebook groups with many saying they are on Intelligent Octopus tariff (inferring a import cheap rate 7.5p) and having their SEG export upgraded from 4.1p to 15p.

That made me think its got to be a mistake as there is no way they would allow 7.5p import and a 15p fixed export.

Just wondering if it is a mistake or a more sinister morph of IO into this new tariff of IO Flux which would be a bummer.
Hopefully not sinister as the use timings will be different for the two scenarios? Fingers 🤞
Yeah, thinking about it a bit more, the IO still gives Octopus extra revenue from controlling the demand side, so it should still remain a better deal than Go.

If it is true about fixed 15p export with IO though, I'll be signing up for the Octopus Outgoing in a flash.
I've just read it on energylivenews.com - appeared on my google curated news feed, so might be true
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
nowty

Post by nowty »

https://www.energylivenews.com/2023/09/ ... -annually/

Feck. :mrgreen:

Or Boom. :twisted:

"The customers can now integrate the ‘Outgoing Octopus’ export tariff with the ‘Intelligent Octopus,’ a flexible EV charging tariff.

The energy supplier will boost the rate from the current 4.1p per kilowatt-hour (kWh) to 15p/kWh.

In a statement, Octopus Energy emphasised the importance of its customers in advancing towards a zero carbon future."
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3