Octopus Flux

Joeboy

Re: Octopus Flux

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:52 pm https://www.energylivenews.com/2023/09/ ... -annually/

Feck. :mrgreen:

Or Boom. :twisted:

"The customers can now integrate the ‘Outgoing Octopus’ export tariff with the ‘Intelligent Octopus,’ a flexible EV charging tariff.

The energy supplier will boost the rate from the current 4.1p per kilowatt-hour (kWh) to 15p/kWh.

In a statement, Octopus Energy emphasised the importance of its customers in advancing towards a zero carbon future."
The game has indeed changed. Your solar net has outstripped anticipated gains. :) Not teaching you to suck eggs, just make sure you factor in KH & DW. I expect this to make the jump even more attractive. :twisted:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Krill

Post by Krill »

The whole situation with the raised export really has made Octopus the only game in town if you have solar.

The IOF tariff though, I'm a little concerned with. If that takes over for OF then winter ends up being really expensive, for those of us without Ripple helping out. There is no benefit to the raised export rate given the arbitrage difference is minimal, so I'd probably be better swapping over to a cheap E7 tariff. With basic Flux though I already have that so I have no reason to move.
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I would love to participate on this new merry go round. 🎠
Been out to check and we've only exported a small amount since meter installation Dec 21 (21 months).

I applaud all the lads that can actively engage in this new wrinkle in power sharing.

I'll run the sums although pretty certain the assumed export of FIT in comparison to actual counted won't work to our advantage.

Genuinely looking forward to reading how the knights of Camelot will adjust and slew to maximise over the coming months, years, decades. Game on! :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

That arrangement will beat most FIT now surely?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Swwils wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:18 pm That arrangement will beat most FIT now surely?
I will run the numbers although geo position, panel orientation & design of in home use will likely keep.me in the FIT camp.

If the software to run was accurate, controllable by myself and DC linked via my 2 stacks then maybe. I'd be happy to help the local grid where I could but I'm too invested in running my own show, daft though that sounds. :twisted:

Kudos though for those that can. 👏
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:08 pm I would love to participate on this new merry go round. 🎠
Been out to check and we've only exported a small amount since meter installation Dec 21 (21 months).

I applaud all the lads that can actively engage in this new wrinkle in power sharing.

I'll run the sums although pretty certain the assumed export of FIT in comparison to actual counted won't work to our advantage.

Genuinely looking forward to reading how the knights of Camelot will adjust and slew to maximise over the coming months, years, decades. Game on! :twisted:
Seeing your meter display pic made me check mine, 23784kWh exported over 44 months. :o
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Krill

Post by Krill »

My meter went in on 29/6/23 and I beat Joeboy heartily with 791 kWh exported.

Admittedly I've cheated a bit with about 300 kWh imported for arbitrage but who is counting...

Still that arbitrage has bought me a couple of takeaways.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

This particular point (Xport@15p) is quite a focus 👉.

We know we are all different on almost all aspects of our personal RE solutions. I'm up North doing my up North thing (which means wringing all the kWh's out of the tech and putting it to work here at home), In conditions that are not optimal yet relatively sparse in per km2 population.

Invert (hah) all of that and move it 400-500 miles South, population density up. I can see that being a change for good. :)
Last edited by Joeboy on Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Krill

Post by Krill »

Shame you can't put up a small standalone wind turbine ie https://sd-windenergy.com/small-wind-tu ... d-turbine/

Decent export rates change energy from a cost to an investment and all the balancing is fascinating to see and read about. I've enjoyed seeing other people's ideas and seeing how I can make them work for me.
richbee

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:57 pm This particular point (Xport@15p) is quite a focus 👉.

We know we are all different on almost all aspects of our personal RE solutions. I'm up North doing my up North thing (which means wringing all the kWh's out of the tech and putting it to work here at home), In conditions that are not optimal yet relatively sparse in per km2 population.

Invert (hah) all of that and move it 400-500 miles South, population density up. I can see that being a change for good. :)
It does also depend what sort of usage you can make of the generated solar - I haven't got a BEV yet, or a heat pump, or a hot water diverter (due to combi boiler), so I end up exporting quite a bit, even relatively up north (although I am already on the outgoing 15p export - and I like the sound of the 'upgraded' flux with same import/export rate).
We have very few people very locally, there are only 5 houses in the postcode, and no-one else has solar yet - I'd be interested to know how the grid works and where my exports end up
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W