Where am I ?

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
nowty

Re: Where am I ?

Post by nowty »

Mr Gus wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:38 pm You flown that rig in Chamonix Nowty? plenty of good take off points & a para school nearby with a terrific launch spot if you fancy taking anyone to learn (you just have to watch out not to upset the vultures ..really)
An older rig, yes, but almost certainly in the last century.

In Chamonix I've took off from both the Brevente which is like a sh1t or bust step off a cliff, and off the Grands Montets glacier in a slight tailwind, I recall the guide (Dennis Trott) shouting "RUUUUN" repeatedly over the radio as I had past the point of no return trying to get enough speed to take off in the thin air and was approaching the point of oblivion where the glacier runs in the abyss down the side of Mont Blanc. :? , I can laugh about it now though. :lol:

This is a google screen grab from the Grands Montets lift station, looking at the glacier, the take off area is around the centre of the picture running away from the camera view.

A younger nowty at circa 10,000ft with Mont Blanc in the background
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

That looks like july weather Nowty.

The place I found with an exceptionally good school & location (couldn't find it online) but was perched on some acres of land ABOVE Sallanches with a dedicated large as heck take off grassed (mown or astro-turfed) area, shop, camping a couple of cafes & room accommodation, the landing point was (obviously) below on the valley floor & a zoom back up (20 mins max, windy roads) you'd likely be better able to find it in a search directory than me.

(obviously the experienced just came back in & landed at the school area.

I took the daughter there as a last ditch to get her over herself & try it ..sadly to no avail (july 2020) perfect for beginners fraught with tension & the thermals there ...cracking.

It is based left hand side of the valley (the big waterfall side) as you drve through sallanches from geneva direction before heading up the valley to cham / sud.

Many days spent walking up the hill to brevant lift station (good exercise when you haven't exercised in prep for your holiday exertion) with boards & ski's / down in the snow at the end when the buses go to hell over the xmas period.

Does that mean you know Paulo (biker owner) at the Green Soft bar? https://www.facebook.com/GreenSoftBar/ ...used to meet lots of late afternooner fliers down there soaking up the sun, seems to have been a regular hang out for years (& the cheaper end of town)
https://www.facebook.com/GreenSoftBar/
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
nowty

Post by nowty »

The first few times I went paragliding in the French Alps was at Dennis Trotts place.
https://www.flyers-lodge.com/about_us.html

He mostly took you to Plaine Joux which is not far from Sallanches, I don't know if its the same place your talking about. Its an easy take off but its usually weak thermals. So sometimes he dropped off the more experienced (or nutter :twisted: ) pilots off at the ski lifts in Chamonix and our goal was to thermal out of the valley over the Brevente and make it to Plaine Joux and meet up with the rest of the group.

Another place I've been many times, in the French Alps is Annecy where the flying is very reliable and scenic. My flying mate who took this photo of me said the photo was worth many beers.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Yup that's the one! nice beginner place with a confidence building take off area (those not in the know, it's high, the warm valley basin is below, with all the connected mountain resorts in 3 directions (basically) & it's a shallow run, step off compared to a steep downhill run for beginners.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Where is Mr Gus, he hasn't been on here since 17th August, anyone know?
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:32 pm Where is Mr Gus, he hasn't been on here since 17th August, anyone know?
Had a word last month about the ranting. Not seen since, hope he shows up again.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
chris_n

Post by chris_n »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:16 pm
Fintray wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:32 pm Where is Mr Gus, he hasn't been on here since 17th August, anyone know?
Had a word last month about the ranting. Not seen since, hope he shows up again.
Hope he's OK, he's always been one for a rant but has been a bit more incoherent recently.
Living the dream in Austria.
Uk property 3.75kW PV linked to 3kW inverter.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

chris_n wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:09 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:16 pm
Hope he's OK, he's always been one for a rant but has been a bit more incoherent recently.
I know, fingers crossed. If he's added himself to the list of absent then it's.

Billi
OGB
Renewable John
Marshman
Mr Gus

Can't please everyone, sad though that is. 3rd year, 5 gone. Or 1.4% of the current membership. All have a way back in if they choose. 8-)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Another solar powered day trip in the EV today, won't be many more this year before I need the grid again.

Not too difficult to guess the location, we were at Tiger day at the Tank Museum, Bovington, fantastic battle re-enactment, loads of vintage infantry weapons firing blanks and some decent pyrotechnics.

Allegedly this is the only operable Tiger tank left in the world, and is only run twice per year. It was captured in Tunisia in 1943 and only suffered minor damage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_131

The Sherman tank which was used in the 2014 film Fury.

Reminded me of the film Kelly's Heroes.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

I was going to guess somewhere in Ukraine maybe!
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf