Octopus Flux

nowty

Re: Octopus Flux

Post by nowty »

With regards "Brown leccy", its simply a copy of the SEG legislation, it is assumed that the grid element of the exported leccy is significantly less than the renewable element. They don't legally have to pay for it but they can choose to pay for it which they currently are.

Similar issue with non MCS systems, they don't have accept them but they can choose to.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
John_S

Post by John_S »

Thanks for the explanation.

I had interpreted the condition as that one could not charge batteries from the grid and then export the electricity as the exported electricity would have been from other than my solar PV - the eligible asset. I am glad to know that I am mistaken.
richbee

Post by richbee »

Right - I've signed up for Flux - we'll see how it goes :D
For some reason my Octopus dashboard is saying that they need to arrange to come out and swap my smart meter, even though I am already on Outgoing and they can read everything half hourly for import & export - not sure if this is a glitch and they say that to everyone before suddenly realising they don't need to after all
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
richbee

Post by richbee »

richbee wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:21 am Right - I've signed up for Flux - we'll see how it goes :D
For some reason my Octopus dashboard is saying that they need to arrange to come out and swap my smart meter, even though I am already on Outgoing and they can read everything half hourly for import & export - not sure if this is a glitch and they say that to everyone before suddenly realising they don't need to after all
And then, just like that, I'm all switched over!
Now need to make sure my battery settings are right to charge during the off-peak slot from 2-5am, and try to persuade my good lady not to use too much during the peak slot from 4-7pm
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

richbee wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:29 pm
richbee wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:21 am Right - I've signed up for Flux - we'll see how it goes :D
Now need to make sure my battery settings are right to charge during the off-peak slot from 2-5am, and try to persuade my good lady not to use too much during the peak slot from 4-7pm
Is this the best Octopus tariff for you, I would have thought there might be something better given the reduction in output from your solar panels for the next few months?
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
richbee

Post by richbee »

Fintray wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:49 pm
richbee wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:29 pm
Is this the best Octopus tariff for you, I would have thought there might be something better given the reduction in output from your solar panels for the next few months?
I don't think I qualify for Go, with the really low off-peak rate, as I don't have an EV, and similarly with Cosy, I don't have a heat pump, and its' peak rate is even higher than Flux.
I'm banking on filling up the battery early in the morning at 16p/kWh, and avoiding peak rate at 37p/kWh.
But you are right, that there will be almost no export for the next few months
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

richbee wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:09 pm
I don't think I qualify for Go, with the really low off-peak rate, as I don't have an EV, and similarly with Cosy, I don't have a heat pump, and its' peak rate is even higher than Flux.
I'm banking on filling up the battery early in the morning at 16p/kWh, and avoiding peak rate at 37p/kWh.
Ah, ok I find that I normally run out of battery power at some point during the dreich days of winter despite my best efforts not to. :D
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
richbee

Post by richbee »

Fintray wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:40 pm
richbee wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:09 pm
Ah, ok I find that I normally run out of battery power at some point during the dreich days of winter despite my best efforts not to. :D
I'm sure I will run out of battery in December/Jan. In that case, I'll do a quick battery top up on normal rate before just before the peak rate time to avoid using peak rate energy if possible. Even then, having a battery full at 11p/kWh cheaper than normal should still be worth it
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W