UK Wind Record

Wind turbines
ecogeorge

Re: UK Wind Record

Post by ecogeorge »

Not seen a wind record lately , are we close tonight ?
rgds George
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Ken

Post by Ken »

It is very unlikely/impossible to break a new wind record overnight as the demand does not exist. Excess wind just forces down the price to negative causing some producers to go offline and some to be curtailed by the Nat Grid at great expense. The Nat Grid typically seems to curtail wind at c12GW overnight. When the demand increases in the day in winter and possible demand from EU then that is when we will see the next record.

A record of sorts is that we export more leccy sometime during the night than our fossil fuel produced leccy and one could argue that we are then NET 100% renewables.

https://www.bmreports.com/bmrs/?q=eds/main
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

I'm increasingly more interested in other records now. Most renewable energy generated in a day, week, month or year, lowest fossil fuel use over same etc. Iamkate site suggests this might be the year renewable electricity generation exceeds fossil fuels.
Mart

Post by Mart »

GarethC wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:28 pm I'm increasingly more interested in other records now. Most renewable energy generated in a day, week, month or year, lowest fossil fuel use over same etc. Iamkate site suggests this might be the year renewable electricity generation exceeds fossil fuels.
Yep, a huge milestone I'm looking forward to, this year or next.

Also, whilst the impact is still small, worth considering that some new leccy demand comes from HP's and EV's, which will be displacing FF's, though that extra demand may mean FF's on the grid decline a bit slower.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

I posted (I thought) a reply to Ken’s post earlier, but it has gone. So here it is again.

It could likely be a night-time record when all those millions of BEVs all charge at the same time. ( 🙂 - yes a smilie emoji included there)

A night time record could occur - with a cold night in the winter and if Europe were to be dependent on everything they could import (even though France has now restarted their old nuclear fleet to help avoid the energy shortages caused by the Ukraine invasion) could see a wind record broken.

I reckon the real problem is still the inability of the grid to shift off-shore generated power to places where it can be utilised/is needed - hence the constraint payments (which actually are still very much worthwhile - and still good value - to maintain grid operations).

The sooner the grid can do without all the gas powered spinning-reserve (for a grid restart after a black-out) the more the wind generation can all be used - if it can be transmitted away from the coastal incoming points where it is ‘supposed’ to be connected to the National Grid system.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I dont think we will get rid of the last few % of gas because as we move to that objective it becomes increasingly expensive compared to just let gas turbines keep warm and use in the middle of winter in " beast from the east moments"
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

At present we need 25GW more of alternative generation before we can even think about getting rid of gas.🙂 National Grid are hoping to be able to run without gas generation by about 2025 - but that is only when demand is low and renewables, nuclear and imports are more than sufficient to supply the demand.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

but it is a lovely day at the moment, in lots of ways.

My solar tube primary circuit is almost too hot to touch. Long may it continue...
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Scary Gas tonight , .......... look at "other" at 1.4 Gw !!
George
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

at least wind and hydro combined are doing more than nuclear!
I wonder what the figure would be for people drawing down their home batteries, i.e. self-consuming what they either generated earlier today or topped up in the wee small hours?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!