Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Fintray

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Fintray »

Just in from Ripple:
As you may know we have been engaging with HMRC and HM Treasury regarding the tax treatment of Ripple members' savings for a number of years. Following back and forth between
Ripple, HMRC and James Cartlidge, Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury, HMRC came to the view that the ‘trading benefit’ of members’ bill savings should be treated as interest income. We then wrote to the Treasury asking that they introduce a tax relief on the trading allowance, like that which is available to home solar income and savings. They have, however, declined to create such a tax relief.

We want to stress that the vast majority of Ripple members will not face any tax on their bill savings, with or without a tax relief.

The trading benefit would only be subject to tax where a member breaches their annual interest allowance. The vast majority of people do not reach their annual allowance, so would therefore not be liable for any tax on their trading benefit.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

I never expected any other outcome, but on the plus side maybe Ripple will finally ditch the 120% generation vs import crap.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
John_S

Post by John_S »

Another poorly worded email from Ripple.

"Are my Ripple savings now subject to tax?

The short answer is very likely no. The majority of Ripple members will not pay any tax on any of their savings. We've seen several posts on social media claiming all Ripple savings are subject to tax. This is not true and can deter people from signing up."

The honest answer is that all the income (but not the return of investment) is subject to tax, just as all interest income is subject to tax. However, for many investors it will be subject to tax at the nil rate as it is within the interest income allowance.

This might be pedantic but it is hugely misleading for Ripple to make the statements that they are making. It would be much more honest to say up front that it is subject to tax but in many/most cases at the nil rate because of the personal savings allowance.

I don't see much mileage in asking for a similar relief like that which is available to home solar. Only people with the smallest brain would not realise that many investors, like most of us, might have home solar and Ripple shares and there is no logic in getting two bites of the cherry.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:04 pm I never expected any other outcome, but on the plus side maybe Ripple will finally ditch the 120% generation vs import crap.
+1, the only point worth making.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

I never expected any other outcome, but on the plus side maybe Ripple will finally ditch the 120% generation vs import crap.
Hmm -I appear to have totally overestimated my consumption .... ;)
George
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

https://community.rippleenergy.com/gene ... 4IBByPSr90

I suggested a window later in the investment cycle as Ripple have stated that they want everyone to be able to.invest. I'd be uncomfortable thinking I'd muscled a £100 investor out. Hence the later window for fat bustards like me. 👍

It is a natural expansion path, they'd be daft not to?

The more likes the better chance of it being implemented.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
smegal

Post by smegal »

Isn't the annual interest allowance £1000 for basic rate and £500 for higher rate tax payers.

Anyone with some savings (which will be most ripple members) will be getting close to those thresholds now that savings actually earn interest.

Or am I missing a point?
John_S

Post by John_S »

smegal wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:39 am
Isn't the annual interest allowance £1000 for basic rate and £500 for higher rate tax payers.

Anyone with some savings (which will be most ripple members) will be getting close to those thresholds now that savings actually earn interest.

Or am I missing a point?
No. You have it spot on.
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

John_S wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:41 am

Or am I missing a point?
No. You have it spot on.
Presumably having savings wrapped in ISA's then you have most or all of the allowance still available?
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Adokforme wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:55 am
John_S wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:41 am

Or am I missing a point?
No. You have it spot on.
Presumably having savings wrapped in ISA's then you have most or all of the allowance still available?
Yes, ISA's are exempt from your annual allowance.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf