Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Stinsy

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:41 am For years there has been a bad radio on my folks breakfast table. It crackled, faded in and out and required retuning every day to get their Radio Lancashire channel. My mother had fixed a very loose ariel using a piece of elastic that came off a joint of meat and a clothes peg. :?

Whenever my mother suggested they get a new one, the reply from my father was, “There’s nowt wrong with it”. :evil:

As fate would have it, my knee hit the table leg the other day and the old radio fell over onto the floor and now just crackles. My mum is now the proud owner of a DAB radio and she loves it. :D

My mum is happily humming along to…………….,

“Knee hit the table leg” :D :roll:
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:31 pm “Knee hit the table leg” :D :roll:
Seriously it was an accident.

I also broke one of my mothers plates which was a wedding present over 66 years ago. :shock:
She let me off that as it was the more faded one of two left.

I found my father’s service medal for his national service in the Suez “Canal Zone”, luckily for him he finished his service just before the Suez Crisis.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

My mum has a working solar powered calculator from circa 1990, so not much degradation after over 30 years. :mrgreen:

It runs in very low light and no battery cell backup in there either.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

I'm back in Nowty Towers after being away for 5 weeks, SWMBO + Cat are happy to have me back. I fecked up and forgot to turn the car charger on last night so I left for the 250 mile journey with 90% SOC. I arrived non stop with 10% left so a decent 4+ miles per kWh all on motorway driving. :mrgreen:

All my systems, solar, home batteries, GSHP and A2A HP's ran themselves automatically giving constant hot water and heating and only off peak import. I gave up asking SWMBO for voltage, hot water and room temp readings after a few days and relied on her telling me if its too hot, too cold or no hot water, but all was fine. 8-)

My dads funeral was a few days ago, a simple small family affair with a county pub meal afterwards. My father worked for BAE Systems for 38 years and started as an aircraft fitter on the Canberra which was the UKs first jet powered bomber. He went to night school and progressed into project management and worked on the Lightning, the Jaguar and the Tornado. He was to take a role on the Typhoon but he chose to take a medical retirement before it flew. He did however find an old Tornado tail for the first Typhoon mockup after nobody could find a spare one. He spoke to the guys on the shop floor and that led to a warehouse manager who never threw anything away but was not too good at logging things.

After we returned to my mums house from the meal, I heard an aircraft overhead and it was a Typhoon flying in and out of the clouds. Not too uncommon because of the proximity to the BAE Warton Aerodrome but it made me shed a tear. :cry:

My mum noted the Typhoon sighting down in her diary. :)
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Thank you for sharing this Nowty, glad you are home OK. All the best to you all.
Joe
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Thanks for the update Nowty. Glad you concluded the affairs. Hope your mum manages to transition to life without him.

Good test of your systems to have you away for a while. I enjoy fiddling and faffing as much as anyone but I make sure my systems can operate without intervention and necessary changes can be made by speaking to Alexa where possible.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Nowty, sorry I missed the bit about your Dad. Sincere condolences.

My mother passed away in Feb 2020 with pneumonia, which we are now certain was from Covid. I was away at the time in Italy but managed to rush to her hospital bed and she died 5 minutes later.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
nowty

Post by nowty »

Tinbum wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:12 pm Nowty, sorry I missed the bit about your Dad. Sincere condolences.

My mother passed away in Feb 2020 with pneumonia, which we are now certain was from Covid. I was away at the time in Italy but managed to rush to her hospital bed and she died 5 minutes later.
Snap with my dad,

And he had one last friend remaining who reached 100 years earlier in the year and he also died of Covid (or related) in a care home literally a few days before my fathers funeral. Neither knew off the others illness or death. Both were fully Covid and Flu vaxed too.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

My mothers father lived to the age of 105 and we had expected her to easily match it.

Covid has a lot to answer to.

I developed a very mild cough / mucus about a week after mum was admitted and It was my Long Covid in the July that really confirmed it. I've now developed a heat intolerance where my heart rate goes over 150 if I get too warm. Talking to the cardiac unit today they told me that they are seeing loads of people with Dysautonomia which I've long suspected I have and they possibly think so.

I didn't have the 4th jab and won't be having this one as the 3rd wiped me out for months including a headache that was constant for 3 months.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

Sorry to hear this Nowty, your dad was fortunate to work on some cracking aircraft!
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost