Extra batteries & future system expansion

Dropkickwalker

Re: Extra batteries & future system expansion

Post by Dropkickwalker »

Hi, did you get the additional battery installed? If so, how easy was it to do? I’ve got 10kw being installed on Monday, but I’d like to increase this later in the year to support some electric heaters.
Regards
Rob
nowty

Post by nowty »

Dropkickwalker wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:42 am Hi, did you get the additional battery installed? If so, how easy was it to do? I’ve got 10kw being installed on Monday, but I’d like to increase this later in the year to support some electric heaters.
Regards
Rob
Welcome Dropkickwalker, I presume you mean battery capacity, in which case thats 10 kWh being installed Monday, what's the battery type your getting and the rest of your setup ?

If your adding capacity like richbee did with his modular type batteries, it is very easy to do.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
richbee

Post by richbee »

Dropkickwalker wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:42 am Hi, did you get the additional battery installed? If so, how easy was it to do? I’ve got 10kw being installed on Monday, but I’d like to increase this later in the year to support some electric heaters.
Regards
Rob
Hi Dropkickwalker,

Yes, I did add another 5kWh Sunsynk battery. As it was the same make and type, I just had to buy a pre-made connector lead set, and connect it up - everything was easy (apart from carrying a 50kg battery up into the loft!!).
Depending on the type, you have to be careful that extra batteries will play nicely together - eg. Sunsynk have several versions of batteries made by different suppliers - CATL, BYD etc (all branded Sunsynk) and the different types don't work together.
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Dropkickwalker

Post by Dropkickwalker »

Amazing, thank you. It’s the same Sunsynk IP65 2x 5KW batteries and 5KW inverter. I plan to run it with 10kw storage for a few months, and then look to add a third battery. Just wondered if the was a convoluted process (discharge and power off etc) needed.
Dropkickwalker

Post by Dropkickwalker »

nowty wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:16 pm
Regards
Rob
Welcome Dropkickwalker, I presume you mean battery capacity, in which case thats 10 kWh being installed Monday, what's the battery type your getting and the rest of your setup ?

If your adding capacity like richbee did with his modular type batteries, it is very easy to do.
Many thanks. Yes, it’s the same Sunsynk 5KW hybrid inverter and 2x5kwh Sunsynk IP65 batteries.

We might not need it. However, I’m thinking of using dual fuel radiators, which would increase demand. Going to run a trial in two rooms first.

Regards
Rob
nowty

Post by nowty »

Dropkickwalker wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:13 pm
Regards
Rob

Many thanks. Yes, it’s the same Sunsynk 5KW hybrid inverter and 2x5kwh Sunsynk IP65 batteries.

We might not need it. However, I’m thinking of using dual fuel radiators, which would increase demand. Going to run a trial in two rooms first.

Regards
Rob
I presume you have solar connected, or are you one of the few battery only setups ?
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
richbee

Post by richbee »

Dropkickwalker wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:09 pm Amazing, thank you. It’s the same Sunsynk IP65 2x 5KW batteries and 5KW inverter. I plan to run it with 10kw storage for a few months, and then look to add a third battery. Just wondered if the was a convoluted process (discharge and power off etc) needed.
I powered everything down, but I didn't discharge the original battery. There is an integrated battery switch on each battery to turn them off. I just connected the second battery, set the dip switches as shown in the manual to set master and 1st slave battery - then powered everything back up and left them to sort themselves out by charging and balancing - once they were both up to full charge, they have just worked perfectly ever since
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Dropkickwalker

Post by Dropkickwalker »

Got it. Thanks again. Let’s see how it goes for a few months of 10kwh of storage.
Dropkickwalker

Post by Dropkickwalker »

nowty wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:19 pm
Dropkickwalker wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:13 pm

Regards
Rob
I presume you have solar connected, or are you one of the few battery only setups ?
Yes, battery only atm - since we want to
Move house in 2-3 years. Using Octopus Go to charge overnight.
richbee

Post by richbee »

Must...not....buy...more ...stuff

Just seen 1 place selling the Sunsynk CATL batteries at £1285 inc vat (ITS still at £1785).
I'm very tempted to go up to 15kWh from 10, not so much for immediate use, but when the heatpump comes along, would be great to have more stored at night time low rate for use during the day.....but.....the heat pump install is likely to be £10k on top of the BUS grant.

Maybe should wait for a bit and see how it all goes, also see if prices generally come down - I'm just slightly concerned they will discontinue the CATL batteries, as they already make 2 other battery types from BYD, and they are not compatible with each other
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W