Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

Yuff

Re: Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

Post by Yuff »

1.34 exported here, from Tuesday I hope to export 9kwh in an hour savings session :pot-stir:
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 4 210 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

nowty wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:40 pm I tweaked my Sofar unit for a few extra amps and broke the Nowty Towers 195A DC record.

Now just over 200A at near 50V, so 10kW draw from the battery banks for a 9kW combined export and house load. :twisted:
A good stress test for all the cables, connectors, isolators, fuses, etc, all remained at acceptable temperatures, nothing too hot to touch. :mrgreen:
Nice.

7.72kWh exported, with a baseline of 0.02.

186.55 Amps, usually around 8.5kW to 9kWfrom the battery, this is a daily occurrence as I export between 16:00 - 16:30 and 18:30 to 19:00 at 8kW when SOC permits.

Last edited by Ronski on Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

hmmmm. My first attempt and it didn't go well... It's early days with the GivEnergy inverter, either my understanding of "Timed Discharge: This mode will discharge your batteries to your home during a period you define " is wanting, or it it has got its wires crossed with "Timed Export: This mode will hold your battery power and discharge it at full power during a period you define."

I thought I had set the battery to feed the house [only] but the wretched thing leapt into forced discharge, 3 kW to the grid - even though I haven't got an export tariff yet. (Waiting on DNO). Curses! I spotted it because I was watching and managed to switch it off at the second attempt, so I have exported 0.4 kWhr... I bet my new smart meter doesn't go backwards though. At least I managed not to import for the rest of the period - I think - and the sun gave me 2.9kWhr today, so not too much of a disaster overall! Probably no Octopoints for a reduction, maybe some for just participating?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:21 pm Probably no Octopoints for a reduction, maybe some for just participating?
If your on a streak its 100 free Octopoints for tonight's session. :xx:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Very interesting bids for the Saving Session, this was the first test session with no guaranteed £3 / kWh underpin.

Bids ranged from £1 / kWh right up to £5.79 / kWh. The highest bids accepted were £2.50 / kWh and anything above that was rejected. Some big names left empty handed, British Gas, EDF, OVO and Utilita all busted. So, if they busted, I presume that means no saving session for them, unless they fund it themselves.

Octopus played it safe’ish and only put bids in for £1.75 / kWh, so it seems Octopus have been generous this time and passed on 100% of the savings, they normally take a circa 25% cut.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:21 pm hmmmm. My first attempt and it didn't go well... It's early days with the GivEnergy inverter, either my understanding of "Timed Discharge: This mode will discharge your batteries to your home during a period you define " is wanting, or it it has got its wires crossed with "Timed Export: This mode will hold your battery power and discharge it at full power during a period you define."
I've no experience of the Givenergy system, but my impression is it's complicated and difficult to control, two users on another forum ended up importing last night, both are very experienced users, one mentioned he had to reboot the inverter.
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:21 pm hmmmm. My first attempt and it didn't go well... It's early days with the GivEnergy inverter, either my understanding of "Timed Discharge: This mode will discharge your batteries to your home during a period you define " is wanting, or it it has got its wires crossed with "Timed Export: This mode will hold your battery power and discharge it at full power during a period you define."

I thought I had set the battery to feed the house [only] but the wretched thing leapt into forced discharge, 3 kW to the grid - even though I haven't got an export tariff yet. (Waiting on DNO). Curses! I spotted it because I was watching and managed to switch it off at the second attempt, so I have exported 0.4 kWhr... I bet my new smart meter doesn't go backwards though. At least I managed not to import for the rest of the period - I think - and the sun gave me 2.9kWhr today, so not too much of a disaster overall! Probably no Octopoints for a reduction, maybe some for just participating?
A
If I have discharge and export enabled at the same time, the quick setting buttons in the app don’t seem to want to export, so I leave the export setting disabled and use the full discharge quick set button to export.
As the weather improves I hop to be exporting quite a lot, even more when the inverter is replaced next week.
I have noticed that my settings seem to change randomly when i havent adjusted anything. I know the installer and GivEnergy can access the system remotely but I’m sure it isn’t them changing anything. :whako-teapot:
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Why am I not surprised by the list of suppliers who were “greedy” with their bids?

I really don’t know how some of them retain customers.

Moxi
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Ronski wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:42 am
I've no experience of the Givenergy system, but my impression is it's complicated and difficult to control, two users on another forum ended up importing last night, both are very experienced users, one mentioned he had to reboot the inverter.
A lot of the issues I have had with exporting is not switching the iboost off so my intended export heats the DHW
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Yuff wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:27 am A lot of the issues I have had with exporting is not switching the iboost off so my intended export heats the DHW
Thanks all for the comments. In fact at his stage I just have the inverter (+batt and pv) installed between the smart meter and the house DB, so the only thing which can be done wrong is my instruction to the inverter.

I was wondering whether I should start a GivEnergy thread as it seems that we might have a "special interest" group here. Yes? Or leave the topics and comments scattered through other threads like this one? (I don't really want to get involved in another forum, but I guess there is probably a Giv owners one. We seem to get more intelligent and better-informed help here than some of the things I have heard of on places like e.g. the Ripple one!)
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!