Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

dan_b

Re: Octopus saving sessions coming 1st Nov

Post by dan_b »

My baselines have been so low for the last two so managed just 64 and 72 points of savings respectively for Thurs and Fri. Might have managed a bit better on the Saturday session. But at least I'll get some points for the savings streak even if it's not an actual useful reduction in consumption! Am rather jealous of you battery boys with the export payments...
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I got £6.66 and £6.70 for the last two, should be very similar for tonight's as well.

Nearly missed tonight's, had been out driving all day, only discovered the notification about 16:30.
nowty

Post by nowty »

There is a webinar scheduled for the 22nd March to review the performance of the winter saving sessions and talk about the future of the demand flexibility service. That suggests to me its definitely over for this season.

I cannot add a link yet as the one they sent me by email is broke. :roll:

"Join us on 22 March at 10am to learn about the performance and use of DFS during winter 23/24 so far and hear an early view on the future of DFS. We'll be sharing a full agenda for the webinar shortly"
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
94JDH

Post by 94JDH »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:31 pm There is a webinar scheduled for the 22nd March to review the performance of the winter saving sessions and talk about the future of the demand flexibility service. That suggests to me its definitely over for this season.

"Join us on 22 March at 10am to learn about the performance and use of DFS during winter 23/24 so far and hear an early view on the future of DFS. We'll be sharing a full agenda for the webinar shortly"
Results are in for two of the last three now
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Wonder how much admin time/cost goes into delivering these savings sessions.
Wonder whether the National Grid actually "sees" an actual reduction in demand across the high voltage network, or if with it all being on the low-voltage side, and distributed across the country rather than in clustered areas, it actually makes enough of a difference to "stop them running an extra gas power station".

Wonder if it's just a stop gap whilst more BESS gets physically installed.

Good idea though. Need to know if its a useful response.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
SporranMcDonald

Post by SporranMcDonald »

dan_b wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:06 am Wonder how much admin time/cost goes into delivering these savings sessions.
< snip > . . . . Need to know if its a useful response.
From an "intangibles" point of view, I would guess that there is a useful educational / motivational aspect.
i.e. many more people gaining a greater awareness of the provision-of and efficient use of electrical energy. Hopefully, moving away from "taking-it-for granted" and ignoring the environmental costs.

The much bemoaned price jump is ( also ) beneficial in this respect.
4 kWp Solar PV : 50%/50% SE/SW : Solis Hybrid 3.6 : Pylontec 9.6 kWh
5 Kwh Air-to-Air Mitsubishi Heat Pump : single-split
Jotul 602 wood-burner ( 2012 )
Ripple : Graig Fatha & Kirk Hill . . . . plus various other renewable projects.
nowty

Post by nowty »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:31 pm There is a webinar scheduled for the 22nd March to review the performance of the winter saving sessions and talk about the future of the demand flexibility service. That suggests to me its definitely over for this season.

Event link to the webinar for those who are interested.
https://events.teams.microsoft.com/even ... 787fcd3495
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

nowty wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:47 pm

Thanks for that Nowty, I've registered for it.
Apart from us minnows taking an interest, is this what the big boys of battery storage are seeking progress on?
Krill

Post by Krill »

Thanks nowty, I'll be watching.
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Adokforme wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:44 pm
nowty wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:47 pm

Thanks for that Nowty, I've registered for it.
Apart from us minnows taking an interest, is this what the big boys of battery storage are seeking progress on?
Demand flexibility services (aka saving sessions) is one small part of the overall Balancing Services.
https://www.nationalgrideso.com/industr ... g-services

The big boys of battery storage are not eligible for demand flexibility services as they already operate in other parts of balancing services.

One of the eligibilities for demand flexibility services is to,

"Not be operating in any other services, including trials, such as Short-Term Operating Reserve (STOR) or Frequency Response, the Capacity Mechanism, or DNO/DSO services."
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3