Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Joeboy

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm None of it is a surprise.

We already knew there were cost overruns, extra borrowing, grid delay to the summer wind lull and lower market leccy prices. The CFD thing was also in their last published KH Coop mtg minutes but it blows their "stabilise your bills" concept out of the water though.

The latest GF rebate renew got 6.55p / kWh.

Take off a penny for the higher Scottish transmission costs, take off another penny for even cheaper leccy prices, take off another penny for the over run into the summer lull and you not far off the 3.2p / kWh rebate price for the first 6 months operation of KH.
With a fair wind :facepalm: we should be able to remain bill free so to speak. We have really enjoyed the £1 per month DD the last 18 months and would be loathe to move away from that. Even on the pessimistic 6 month KH initial contract we should generate £1k pa incl an inflow from DW.

Onward & upwards!
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

It is a guess, based on the circumstances.

Wind farm planning in england has been practically non existant following David Camerons ban of onshore wind announced 2015. For example there were only 7 applications in england last year, compared to 50ish in scotland. Liklihood is it would be in scotland.

I very much doubt ripple would get into offshore wind. It is considerably more expensive, longer build times, and more complex. Maybe in a few years with more experience, but i doubt it for p4.

Looking at their other projects, it takes approximately 2 years for planning submission to application granting.
What we know, is, that a solar farm was planned for p4, but due to delays, they changed tack and suddenly decided they had a windfarm that was a possibility, though they are still scrutinising the details, which says to me that the application was granted relatively recently, and they are once again buying the development it from someone.

We know KH is 9 turbines.
So it has to be bigger than that.
We know its 2024, so planning must have been applied for around 2021/2022, and the swap to a wind farm was sudden.
To me that doesnt suggest something that was in the pipeline by ripple that was bought forward, but a recent opportunity that presented itself.

So i started looking at scotland planning permissions.
Ignore those less than 9 or 10 turbines. (They said it was big, so an extra turbine doesnt really cut it)
Ignore those denied
Ignore extensions to windfarms
Ignore applications by SSE themselves

That left a list of about 3 or 4 sites.
One, initially applied for planning in 2021, and appealed following rejection. It was finally granted full planning permission in feb 2024. So fits the unexpected surprise category.
It is for 16 turbines.
The application was made by RES. Which ripple have purchased off of before, for Derrill.

The name is Cairn Duhie, and it is on Dava Moor.
2.7kw Canadian solar. roof. 3kw solis G98 mcs
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae
Octopus agile/outgoing fixed 15p

Planned;
Hybrid system
43kwh eve batteries, 3x16 280A
6-8+kw solar, DC connected.
nowty

Post by nowty »

I'm frothing at the mouth if its that one, interestingly RES is the same company that was running DW though its planning stages. :mrgreen:
https://www.cairnduhie-windfarm.co.uk/

Looks like a windy enough place, maybe not so good in the rarer easterly or southerlies because of the higher nearby hills. There are other windfarms not too far away to the east.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Its about 1.5hrs away from my house, so not too far to go and view. Ive walked on dava before and it is pretty exposed out there,
As you say the southerly and easterly aspect may cause more turbulent winds from higher peaks, but prevailing wind is SW and it is far enough from the Cairngorms to of had the air clear up a bit.
Just my theory anyway, and like anyone with a theory, i think its got its merits.
I may have to buy a hat to eat though.

Thanks for posting the link.
I have it on PC but couldnt find on mobile.
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system
nowty

Post by nowty »

March capacity factor graph for GF, its still running for a few more hours but I am busy tomorrow and the capacity factor won't change. Now we are in the first month of the 3rd operating year. Hopefully not long now before I will also be doing the KH one. :mrgreen:

Not a bad month for wind again and April looks unseasonably windy into the first half. :xx:

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

If only KH was online..

:roll: bugger! :lol:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Its a week amout from the CfD vote.
Can i ask what peoples views are, and if they would like to share their decision yes or no here.

I am presuming, that whatever gets voted on, will have an impact on the offers of future projects, P4 included, which i am sure is being held off until this decision, for this very reason.

In my eyes, and i am in no way an expert of cfds or investing, it seems to take away one of the most interesting prospects of ripples existance.

My two pennyworth is that with increasing world tensions, despots, clowns running for President, and Frances aging nuclear fleet failing left right and centre,
It would be wise to stay out of cfds, unless the price is maxed, which you are not guaranteed, or given the option of stating in your vote.

Our own nuclear prospects wont come online for another 10 years at least.
Russia is still being caught snooping around our infrastructure cables.
Frances efforts to build and renew reactors will take at least 10-15 years, and guaranteed to bring delay. Meanwhile, their current geriatric reactors ability to work, can be directly compared to Network rails history of cancellation excuses because a leaf or sunbeam, or snowflake fell on a line .

To lock in an unknown price for 15 years, despite falling prices currently, in the face of all of the above, plus increasingly extreme weather patterns that have a big impact, just doesnt make sense to me.

It is however, not my vote.
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system
nowty

Post by nowty »

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

nowty wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:58 pm We spoke a little about it here,
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =28&t=2976
:xl: :xl: :xl: :xl:
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

I contacted Ripple today regarding the lack of data from GF over the past few days and the reply was "The comms went down on the turbine, the turbine itself is still running and is fine, we just require a part to fix the communications, an engineer visit is being arranged to replace said part. We should have the comms back online in the next few days."
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf