HVDC Interconnectors

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Stinsy

Re: HVDC Interconnectors

Post by Stinsy »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:37 am Yes, its happening again today, exporting 2GW to Fr, but its not cold yet. I still wonder if its tied to gas and even more so if the Belarus/Poland escalates.
But we're importing gas to burn to make the 2GW we're sending to France!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:40 am
Ken wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:37 am Yes, its happening again today, exporting 2GW to Fr, but its not cold yet. I still wonder if its tied to gas and even more so if the Belarus/Poland escalates.
But we're importing gas to burn to make the 2GW we're sending to France!
Yes but we have to burn a minimum amount or percentage to keep the spinning reserve to reduce probability of blackouts. On the bright side we currently have no curtailment. But if we did not export that 2GW to France I guarantee the current high wind generation would be curtailed.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

Great example of the benefits of interconnectors in terms of reducing curtailment then. I wonder if that impact is quantifiable?

Is the Scotland-England link still on the blink? It was for quite a while, wasn't it?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Perhaps not really because at the same time as exporting to Fr we are importing more than that amount from other countries.

Most of our gas comes from Norway and N Sea a little LPG and non really from Russia. On the other hand the EU is definetly reliant on Russia with those consequences.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

The Western Bootstrap HVDC is operating at full capacity - but that's not always been the case, it certainly had a long period of unreliability when it was first commissioned with for significant outages, and indeed it was a year late in starting operation due to faults in the cables.

Two Eastern HVDC links are planned for an extra 4GW of transmission potential from Scotland to England (one to connect at Drax, the other at Hawston Pit in County Durham) but the last I read is that neither of these additional lines will be in service before 2030.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
nowty

Post by nowty »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:09 pm Perhaps not really because at the same time as exporting to Fr we are importing more than that amount from other countries.

Most of our gas comes from Norway and N Sea a little LPG and non really from Russia. On the other hand the EU is definetly reliant on Russia with those consequences.
Its looks even more weird as we are importing from Netherlands and Belgium and exporting to France. Is there there no interconnector between Belgium and France ?

They do share a land border or is their interconnector down, or is there some strange market peculiarity where Belgium get a better price exporting to UK than France but the UK get an even better price exporting to France.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Ken

Post by Ken »

UK and Spain 3.6GW to Fr . Fr to Germany,switzerland,Italy 6GW

My guess would be the EU wants to hang on to all the gas it can in view of Belarus/Poland.
nowty

Post by nowty »

I found the interconnector leccy flows from https://app.electricitymap.org/map

Could simply be large variances of renewables in local areas giving rise to the peculiar energy flows ?

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

I don’t suppose that the HVDC connectors are the ‘be all and end all’ of international import/export. Quite possibly HVDC is more efficient than HVAC?

Whatever is going on, I expect the russians are closely monitoring how the european gas stocks are changing….
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

It is still unseasonably mild across Europe. When those many-millions of gas boilers start cranking the real games will start.

Meanwhile Russian troops/equipment continues to build up along the Ukrainian border…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)