Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Joeboy

Re: Small things matter

Post by Joeboy »

Well, my much lauded tablesaw went tits up this morning. Been on a speed run in the EV (solar charged) to toolstation for a new one £120 and it weighs about half of the old one. Einhell again for brand loyalty.

Lucky as I've just started into the full length board cutting. Also my jet thickness planer is dead but I'm not replacing that as its a £300 item. The finished boards will just have to be slightly more rustic in appearance... but with neat edges. :)

18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Being made largely from plastic as opposed to steel in the old tablesaw. I'm finding the new Einhell unit to be deceptive. In looks and feel it has the impact and weight of a toy.

Yet it is ripping through the 1" boards full length rips at a tremendous rate leaving square, clean cuts. Well worth the £120 (£90 off apparently).

https://www.toolstation.com/einhell-254 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Rain has just stopped play so I'm sitting dry in the bootroom with a cuppa and enjoying life and the view :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

I do like that style of cladding, I wanted to do it on my garage in larch, but was too costly, ended up sanding shiplap for 2 days and then painting and finish was so much better than I thought.

Enjoy the cladding, I’m enjoying the photos
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:22 pm I do like that style of cladding, I wanted to do it on my garage in larch, but was too costly, ended up sanding shiplap for 2 days and then painting and finish was so much better than I thought.

Aye, me too. Its very much (or was) prevalent in the Highlands on open front door porches. Nowadays it seems to be fused with Scandinavian style and high finishing tolerance on machined larch.

I have a newfound respect for the fitting of it in any form, I'm pretty sure I've been on this job for about 6 months! I reckon another 30 hours to see it done. A big chunk of the time is wrapped up in processing the wood through to the sizes we want. The pile is worryingly small now and I still have the inside to do (I'm not finished outside yet either).

Being retired its OK but with kids and full-time work, not so much I think. Anyway, these from today. Rains on again! :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mart

Post by Mart »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:02 pm
AGT wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:22 pm I do like that style of cladding, I wanted to do it on my garage in larch, but was too costly, ended up sanding shiplap for 2 days and then painting and finish was so much better than I thought.

Being retired its OK but with kids and full-time work, not so much I think. Anyway, these from today. Rains on again! :D

Joeboy, don't worry, I know I'm quite weird so laugh away, but am I the only one who thinks they're seeing you 'poke' the underside of a panel, with a very thin stick, causing the water to run off? :shock:

A bit like you see sometimes with canopies, and people directing the water off with a broom/broom handle.

Optical illusion, or very (very) flexible panels? :hysteria:
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mart wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:33 pm
Joeboy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:02 pm

Joeboy, don't worry, I know I'm quite weird so laugh away, but am I the only one who thinks they're seeing you 'poke' the underside of a panel, with a very thin stick, causing the water to run off? :shock:

A bit like you see sometimes with canopies, and people directing the water off with a broom/broom handle.

Optical illusion, or very (very) flexible panels? :hysteria:
I see it! Handy for compensating when my angles are so far off! There will be some form of timber deflection and maybe a rainchain too. Future project I think. We have enough power coming in that a 2kW heater is running instead of the WBS.

I like that, burn electrons not logs (when ye can).

Got a wee bit done to the longer wall after the late afternoon shower of rain. Tomorrow should be the outer walls complete. Might get round to colouring. Fingers 🤞

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Watching a Kris Harbour video the other day and he mentioned wooden guttering for roof runoff. 🤔

Had a crack at it today. 🤪

Waiting on next wet bit to see how it performs.

The weather has been a combination of rain, hail and sun so I happily kept on with the woodwork in the dry bits in-between.

The lines are starting to sharpen a little. I now understand why Henry Ford offered the Model T in any colour you liked... As long as it was black. Hides all sorts of panel gap overtolerance. :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Not to labour the point excessively, these three extra panels and the extra storage have definitely put us on a new plateau.

The resistive heating is on again (that hail cooled things down a touch) and the WBS remains resolutely off..

That's as good an example as I can think of as to why PV & batteries are excellent 👌. Also why just enough isn't, this is a nice place to be.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Got some colour on. Will start on the interior tomorrow. It has been very nice sitting out there listening to the birds and wind blowing. Unanticipated relaxation. :D

The stained glass is on standby until we live with it for a while as is. SWMBO is very happy and I like the simplification aspect.

I am ongoing amazed at under £700 buying a new room that generates significant volumes of power. Solar built apart from the diesel to collect panels and timber from deep Shire.

What are we calling the average UK cost per kWh? Is 26p too much? If that's acceptable then I need 2.7MWh to pay back the costs. At 5kWh per day generation that's under 2 years. Jings!
Last edited by Joeboy on Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Looking good, you've been busy, though I see you are stopping for another cuppa :D
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf