How do I progress? Inverters Batteries G99

resybaby

Re: How do I progress? Inverters Batteries G99

Post by resybaby »

Snuggy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:51 am Well we were thinking of batteries but our neighbour informs us the dormer has never been done in our 1960's house. I doubt she's right but she has lived next door for 65 years. It looks good but we think it sensible to get a flat roofer to redo before we get the solar panels wrapped around it, so I guess that is the battery gone budget wise, or at least reduced in size!
I understood diverters were about £4-500.
Carehome up the road from me not long ago had flat roof replaced. Only they didnt.
They had a roofing company essentially rip the felt covering off the top, and then, as the wood sheeting underneath was in good condition, they oversheeted the flat areas from the outside with some rigid insulation (Kingspan looking stuff) then rubber roofed over the top of that. So in essence a new roof covering and good 8nsulation added in one with the bonus of no internal disturbance at all! Worth looking at imv.

Use a Marlec diverter here into my pressurised cylinder, been great so far, cost me £250 ish new via evilbay.
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 7 x 570w JA solar panels
7.08kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Snuggy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:51 am Well we were thinking of batteries but our neighbour informs us the dormer has never been done in our 1960's house. I doubt she's right but she has lived next door for 65 years. It looks good but we think it sensible to get a flat roofer to redo before we get the solar panels wrapped around it, so I guess that is the battery gone budget wise, or at least reduced in size!
I understood diverters were about £4-500. Our tank is old and the whole hotwater system needs ripping out and redoing. Probably best to look into a hot water/heating system I can control from my phone when the suns out, must be something about these days but will have to investigate later.
I think solariboosts are about £250 new on Ebay. I fitted a switchbot to mine and can control via phone from anywhere. That's about the cheapest battery solution I know of. My tank holds about 12kWh of power.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

resybaby wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 11:46 am
I understood diverters were about £4-500.
Carehome up the road from me not long ago had flat roof replaced. Only they didnt.
They had a roofing company essentially rip the felt covering off the top, and then, as the wood sheeting underneath was in good condition, they oversheeted the flat areas from the outside with some rigid insulation (Kingspan looking stuff) then rubber roofed over the top of that. So in essence a new roof covering and good 8nsulation added in one with the bonus of no internal disturbance at all! Worth looking at imv.

Use a Marlec diverter here into my pressurised cylinder, been great so far, cost me £250 ish new via evilbay.
Excellent roof solution, double win.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

For my future battery/ inverter project I’m leaning towards to the Sunsynk 5 kw hybrid invwrter, need to figure out 30m plus CT cabling run before then!
Snuggy

Post by Snuggy »

Yes, I think that was what the roofer suggested, and certainly what happened at our last house where the boards were sound. Didnt hear mention of insulation this time as wasnt with OH when roofer came. When I asked about a warm roof system OH looked blank. Will see what gets quoted for.
Snuggy

Post by Snuggy »

Diverters. Yep, but I will need to get it fitted, so the cost doubles I guess. :?:
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Snuggy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:37 pm Diverters. Yep, but I will need to get it fitted, so the cost doubles I guess. :?:
If you can wire a plug, you can fit a diverter. Keep the spare cash for batteries. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

Snuggy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:37 pm Diverters. Yep, but I will need to get it fitted, so the cost doubles I guess. :?:
Doddle to do Snuggy, even i managed it!

Intercepted one of the immersion AC cable, ran that to a timer switch, then onto the Marlec.
Choose to then run two sockets from the Marlec (rather than wire to imersion directly) so that i could pick and choose what i plugged into each socket i.e. once the HW cylinder was fully heated, i could plug in a heater etc and still use the Marlec to divert any further excess.

4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 7 x 570w JA solar panels
7.08kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
John_S

Post by John_S »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:46 pm
If you can wire a plug, you can fit a diverter. Keep the spare cash for batteries. :)
Agree.

I did it. Was a bit more complicated for me as I had a bottom and mid height immersion heater in my 250l Megaflow on and independent ring main and had them both switchable.

Became redundant with Octopus IOG. Now I heat my hot water on a timer, which can also boost, during the lower cost (7.5p) period and export during the day earning 15p instead of diverting.

If you have an EV (not hybrid) and Octopus IOG, the whole economics of batteries takes a great leap forward.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

John_S wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 3:35 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:46 pm
Agree.

I did it. Was a bit more complicated for me as I had a bottom and mid height immersion heater in my 250l Megaflow on and independent ring main and had them both switchable.

Became redundant with Octopus IOG. Now I heat my hot water on a timer, which can also boost, during the lower cost (7.5p) period and export during the day earning 15p instead of diverting.

If you have an EV (not hybrid) and Octopus IOG, the whole economics of batteries takes a great leap forward.
John,
That's excellent! Between us posted so far that's 3 different solutions/uses of the same bit of kit. Commonality being it's easy to hook in. :)

For OP we can start with right tightly, lefty loosey. We can then move onto the 10 second lag then retighten as the copper moves under tension (mechanical torque).

Can also add in L/N/E being in colour Brown/Blue/Green/Yellow. Might also come up against Red/Black if old enough gear but if you cant work that one out, yer doomed.

No jesting, you've presented yourself well OP, so many dont. Youll get the help you need here.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs