HVDC Interconnectors

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
dan_b

Re: HVDC Interconnectors

Post by dan_b »

HVDC is more efficient over long distances and the cost of the converter stations has reduced with new modern power switching systems. HVDC is hugely better than HVAC when going through water. I think the world's longest sub-sea HVAC link is only about 120km or something like that.
Oliver90owner wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:53 am I don’t suppose that the HVDC connectors are the ‘be all and end all’ of international import/export. Quite possibly HVDC is more efficient than HVAC?

Whatever is going on, I expect the russians are closely monitoring how the european gas stocks are changing….
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Oliver90owner wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:53 am Quite possibly HVDC is more efficient than HVAC?
The reason to use HVDC vs HVAC to interconnect two grids is that DC avoids the requirement to synchronise both grids.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

Yes, I know the advantages - but France has a border with Belgium, so some power is likely just conducted between their respective AC grids and doesn’t show up on the usual internet sites like Gridwatch.

HVDC cables also need much less conductor (Copper) due to the continuous current rather than the sinusoidal wave form of AC. Conductor cross section can theoretically be a factor of 1.414 smaller for the same I^2R losses? That is a lot of Copper over a long distance.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

I'm sure I've read that these very long HVDCs are moving over to aluminium conductors for weight and cost considerations.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

dan_b wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:00 pm I'm sure I've read that these very long HVDCs are moving over to aluminium conductors for weight and cost considerations.
I thought they alway were Aluminium? Copper is way too expensive for long distance cables...

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Now this really is a long distance HVDC Interconnector which, if feasible, opens up all sorts of time shifting energy possibilities around the world!
Chile wants to export solar energy to Asia via 15,000km submarine cable
https://www.pv-magazine.com/2021/11/15/ ... ine-cable/
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

This project would be 5x longer than the current longest HVDC link and (and!) would carry 10x the power of the current most powerful HVDC link.

Can’t see that happening for $2bn.

Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Yep Stinsy, it does seem a tad optimistic but hopefully there is some basis to the announcement. Perhaps further information will come out later, or not, if it's just pie in the sky. I believe the $2bn quoted related merely to a cable length of 1,300kms as opposed to it's entire length.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

If groups are planning feasibility for these ultra long subsea UHVDC interconnectors, it might mean that the planned link from Iceland to Scotland, which did seem ridiculous and unfeasible just a few years ago might suddenly become reasonable and achievable again soon?

Given we've already got the 720km long North Sea Link, 1200km to Iceland might not be so insane after all?
Andy

Post by Andy »

I was wondering how plate tectonics might get in the way. Seems like it won’t. https://www.thoughtco.com/thmb/tbZsr3w ... 2241ff.jpg