Still lead in the air in cities

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
dan_b

Still lead in the air in cities

Post by dan_b »

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/07/01/th ... uplifting/

Urgh. STill measurable amounts of lead detected in London's air, even though lead in petrol was banned in the 90s...
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Stinsy

Re: Still lead in the air in cities

Post by Stinsy »

Tires and brakes still result in lead pollution in the air even after lead was removed from fuel.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

That was puzzling, but looking at the press release it says
They found that the isotope composition of the air particles was similar to the signature of soils and road dust, leading them to suggest that resuspension of lead-containing dust, perhaps with wind and vehicle movement, is now an important source of lead.
and
The researchers say that if these current levels prove harmful, then measures should be taken to target the sources of the lead in soil and on roads.
Possible measures to lower lead levels include covering contaminated urban soils with fresh soil, which has been effective in reducing children’s blood lead levels in New Orleans.
I don't think there is any suggestion that current tyres and brakes are releasing lead, but if you know that is the case I would be interested to hear how, i.e. where the lead is in those components.
I accept that they are a significant source of PM2.5, which is dangerous in its own right and one of the reasons why I disagree with the assumption that electric cars will make everything OK.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:42 am
I don't think there is any suggestion that current tyres and brakes are releasing lead, but if you know that is the case I would be interested to hear how, i.e. where the lead is in those components.
Have a look here for info:

https://naei.beis.gov.uk/overview/pollu ... tant_id=17
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

It still just says
In 2018, the major sources of lead were tyres and brakes, which now accounts for 33% of the national total
but with no explanation. I know some steels have lead in for ease of machining, maybe brake pads have it for the same reason ("lubrication") but that doesn't seem to be a very good idea given the friction wear expected on brake components.
Equally https://healthybuilding.net/blog/461-on ... laygrounds says
Lead compounds have been part of tire formulations since 1839, when Charles Goodyear heated a mix of natural rubber, sulfur and white lead, and created the world’s first melt-proof rubber blend.[20] Lead oxide continued to be used in tire vulcanization until recently.[21]
(my emphasis.) Hope they replace it with sonething less toxic pretty soon.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!