Aiko comet panels.

NoraBatty

Re: Aiko comet panels.

Post by NoraBatty »

Thanks Mart.

The walls are stone, as you can see, and are very uneven. Alot of faffing will possibly be needed to get them to lie exactly on a 90° plane, and not at 95 instead, so it is a very good point that even laying at 85° would be better.
I plan to use unistrut, so could definately use a smaller rail above and bigger below.
I would then have to take the possiblity of a little slither of panel to panel shading in play, so will look into it.
If that is the case, slightly smaller panels would give a better gap between the top and bottom panels
The planning officer here, when i enquired 2 years ago about the possibility, said 200mm extrusion from the house, so definatly possible to maximise tilt

Yes, the 2 horizontal can be flipped to vertical and take up the same spacing.
Not quite sure why i decided on horizontal, but i thought, with the bar split in the middle, it would look more "window ish" that way, compared to the other.
Horses for courses i think.
If i did go with the smaller panels, they would definately be put vertically, so.... the real answer is, just a quirk of my brain i guess 🤷‍♀️
2.7kw Canadian solar. roof. 3kw solis G98 mcs
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae
Octopus agile/outgoing fixed 15p

Planned;
Hybrid system
43kwh eve batteries, 3x16 280A
6-8+kw solar, DC connected.
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

NoraBatty wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:49 pm
If i go with a victron multiplus 5kw, as i think i will, start up voltage is about 180-190v
I assume this is fine given 5x625w panels with a voc of 51-52V
Do you mean Victron Easy Solar? 180-190v start up of a Multi is a reference to the AC input. You still need an MPPT for controlling DC from the panels, and Victron MPPT's will start up at 5volts above battery voltage.

If looking at large panels, Canadian Solar also do a 660W: 1303 x 2384mm, or JA Solar make a 595W: 1134 x 2333mm
38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Nora, what Smartsolar charger are you intending to use to connect these panels to the Multiplus and are you hoping for a single string or two strings?

Edit - That's what I was looking at Al as 5 of these panels would exceed the input voltage of any of the Smartsolar units.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Mart

Post by Mart »

NoraBatty wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:26 am The planning officer here, when i enquired 2 years ago about the possibility, said 200mm extrusion from the house, so definatly possible to maximise tilt
I think you are right, everything I can find suggests 200mm too. Glad I mentioned it now, as that allows for around triple the tilt (200mm bottom 50mm top v's 100mm/50mm).

Quick check just based on my location in Cardiff and a 4d tilt, 86d pitch, suggests ~40kWh pa difference per kWp installed.

But no idea if that would look better, worse, or no difference, as I assume the looks are a consideration for wall mounted panels.

Best of luck.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

AlBargey wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:03 am
If i go with a victron multiplus 5kw, as i think i will, start up voltage is about 180-190v
Do you mean Victron Easy Solar? 180-190v start up of a Multi is a reference to the AC input. You still need an MPPT for controlling DC from the panels, and Victron MPPT's will start up at 5volts above battery voltage.

If looking at large panels, Canadian Solar also do a 660W: 1303 x 2384mm, or JA Solar make a 595W: 1134 x 2333mm
No. I mean, the ac input of a the multi.
In the event that i have to do the hybrid install myself and stick to a g98, due to not having an installer, then i will go down the dc route to connect these, and the roof solar will be moved over to the hybrid.
I have not looked at what charge controllers i would need for it, as this is my least preffered, last resort option for the system. But i know i will be able to add them on the DC side if neccessary. However that may look with whatever charge controller needed, 2 strings, 5 strings or whatever.

Granted i have never used a hybrid inverter before, but my understanding of them is that they are just grid tied inverters that have the extra functions of AC passthrough, and inverting AC to DC as well as the normal DC to AC.
As in, i can treat it like a normal grid tied inverter, add the string to the mppt on the inverter, but add batteries to it and draw from the grid as well.
Is this thinking not right?
Last edited by NoraBatty on Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Mart wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:21 am
NoraBatty wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:26 am The planning officer here, when i enquired 2 years ago about the possibility, said 200mm extrusion from the house, so definatly possible to maximise tilt
I think you are right, everything I can find suggests 200mm too. Glad I mentioned it now, as that allows for around triple the tilt (200mm bottom 50mm top v's 100mm/50mm).

Quick check just based on my location in Cardiff and a 4d tilt, 86d pitch, suggests ~40kWh pa difference per kWp installed.

But no idea if that would look better, worse, or no difference, as I assume the looks are a consideration for wall mounted panels.

Best of luck.
90° vs 86° is a 30kw difference up here apparently. Still very muxh worth the mention. Thank you.
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

NoraBatty wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:41 am

In the event that i have to do the hybrid install myself and stick to a g98, due to not having an installer, then i will go down the dc route to connect these, and the roof solar will be moved over to the hybrid.
I have not looked at what charge controllers i would need for it, as this is my least preffered, last resort option for the system. But i know i will be able to add them on the DC side if neccessary. However that may look with whatever charge controller needed, 2 strings, 5 strings or whatever.

Granted i have never used a hybrid inverter before, but my understanding of them is that they are just grid tied inverters that have the extra functions of AC passthrough, and inverting AC to DC as well as the normal DC to AC.
As in, i can treat it like a normal grid tied inverter, add the string to the mppt on the inverter, but add batteries to it and draw from the grid as well.
Can you clarify which inverter you are going to put in as the Multiplus doesn't have the option of directly connecting the PV panels to it, you would still need a charge controller.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Seems i was right in what i thought. Hybrids do have mppts for input. However the multiplus doesnt and needs charge controllers.
Apologies for the mix up.

This makes things much more interesting and i will be able to ignore the need for optimisers.

How many strings? At least 2.
What Charge controllers? Unsure yet. I now need another day of faffing to see how i can best change things up and take advantage. :head-bang:
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Fintray wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:13 am
NoraBatty wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:41 am

Can you clarify which inverter you are going to put in as the Multiplus doesn't have the option of directly connecting the PV panels to it, you would still need a charge controller.
Hi Fintray, yes i just posted that.
I thought it did havw the ability. Hence why i was confused as to why you were both asking.
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system
AGT

Post by AGT »

So you could use 10mm screwed rod, resined into 12mm holes the rod long enough to give you the bottom dimension out- say 200mm and the top rail fixed direct with screws/ penny washers?