Balcony solar PV

Joeboy

Re: Balcony solar PV

Post by Joeboy »

Front deck currently shaded.

Back deck V reading on twin series linked panels. Must be 45 degs out there.

SWMBO not giving a monkeys about any of it! :twisted:

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
richbee

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:29 pm A easy way to explain it is that Hoymiles have region locked the app. Trickery doesn't work. You can easily register in a qualifying country on your phone. Take photos of every ID no on your micro before flying.

You'll come back, have some leeway then the software will clock your region and play silly buggers. But you'll still be able to log into the micro itself within short range but not over true WiFi network.

The micro will show up on your phone as a WiFi access point (that's the dtu bit) but it felt more like Bluetooth to me. As to accessing the greater app network? Not poss at this time in UK but you can see 30 day, total and daily generation.

I hope this helps?

It's a burst arse way to operate but it's the price we pay for trying to be ahead of the curve on a burst arse parochial island. :D

On the upside, it's clean power, it works. It's just not the seamless online accessibility we've grown used to having.
It's definitely good anyway, even without the app - Now approaching 500kWh from the man cave hoymiles system since Feb :D
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

richbee wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:08 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:29 pm A easy way to explain it is that Hoymiles have region locked the app. Trickery doesn't work. You can easily register in a qualifying country on your phone. Take photos of every ID no on your micro before flying.

You'll come back, have some leeway then the software will clock your region and play silly buggers. But you'll still be able to log into the micro itself within short range but not over true WiFi network.

The micro will show up on your phone as a WiFi access point (that's the dtu bit) but it felt more like Bluetooth to me. As to accessing the greater app network? Not poss at this time in UK but you can see 30 day, total and daily generation.

I hope this helps?

It's a burst arse way to operate but it's the price we pay for trying to be ahead of the curve on a burst arse parochial island. :D

On the upside, it's clean power, it works. It's just not the seamless online accessibility we've grown used to having.
It's definitely good anyway, even without the app - Now approaching 500kWh from the man cave hoymiles system since Feb :D
:praise: :praise: :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
chris_n

Post by chris_n »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:36 pm
chris_n wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:34 pm If you desperately wanted access you could probably run a dedicated router with VPN capability to provide the WiFi for the unit and the device you want to run the app on.
I'm pretty sure someone tried that on here? No joy.
I'm pretty sure the unit doesn't have a GPS chip so as long as both the unit and the app are on a dedicated router with VPN geolocating you to a supported country it can't not work. I do a lot of this stuff to access UK only services without too many problems but it can depend on neither device having location enabled. It is also quite expensive to do properly.
Living the dream in Austria.
Uk property 3.75kW PV linked to 3kW inverter.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

chris_n wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:36 pm
chris_n wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:34 pm If you desperately wanted access you could probably run a dedicated router with VPN capability to provide the WiFi for the unit and the device you want to run the app on.
I'm pretty sure the unit doesn't have a GPS chip so as long as both the unit and the app are on a dedicated router with VPN geolocating you to a supported country it can't not work. I do a lot of this stuff to access UK only services without too many problems but it can depend on neither device having location enabled. It is also quite expensive to do properly.
The phone for app registration has the GPS. It all flows from there. Simple really for area control. I use nord vpn for years. This is different, although any workaround found mucho appreciato!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
chris_n

Post by chris_n »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:58 pm
chris_n wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:36 pm

The phone for app registration has the GPS. It all flows from there. Simple really for area control. I use nord vpn for years. This is different, although any workaround found mucho appreciato!
If you use a PC it has no GPS. For everything I do simply turning location off has always worked (in conjunction with NordVPN). There are apps available which will spoof your GPS location if you need to.
Living the dream in Austria.
Uk property 3.75kW PV linked to 3kW inverter.
AGT

Post by AGT »

Great info, will look into this for future projects, the inability to logon in the UK is what put me off
richbee

Post by richbee »

I've just seen this, from a SunSynk FB group post
https://github.com/marove2000/openDTU_BreakoutBoard?tab=readme-ov-file#readme
an OpenDTU system specifically for Hoymiles inverters - also available as a parts kit for a mini display etc, compatible with Home Assistant.
No idea how much work is involved in setting one of these up - could be a possibility when I have more time post September....
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

richbee wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:43 pm I've just seen this, from a SunSynk FB group post
https://github.com/marove2000/openDTU_BreakoutBoard?tab=readme-ov-file#readme
an OpenDTU system specifically for Hoymiles inverters - also available as a parts kit for a mini display etc, compatible with Home Assistant.
No idea how much work is involved in setting one of these up - could be a possibility when I have more time post September....
Ooh, that is definitely something of interest. If only I had somewhere easy to add more PV with a micro-inverter...
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
64kWh Kia E-Niro
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

No1's first smart meter day yesterday. Nice to see the flat graph where the Hoymiles 800W was working. :twisted:

A little work to do for HW & SH control and split their demand across any potential generation window. It's getting there. :D

There isn't an opportunity to export as we are so we'll consume the lot.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs