Wind turbines
Bugtownboy

Viking

Post by Bugtownboy »

dan_b

Re: Viking

Post by dan_b »

Beat me to it!
That’s a big farm - that HVDC interconnector was crucial.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

But there’s still criticism :facepalm:

I just don’t get what people expect.

The interconnectors are game changers - though I accept they are a very vulnerable bit of infrastructure in the event of conflict/mischief.

Just wish they’d crack on with the Morocco project - either as a stand alone UK-Morocco initiative or via a wider European network.
HML

Post by HML »

Presumably you're talking about this criticism:

"Moraig Lyall, chair of the environment and transport committee of Shetland Islands Council, said annual household bills in the islands were often more than double the UK average of £1,700 and showed no sign of falling as a result of hosting Viking.

"People look out their windows now, they see all these turbines that are generating lots and lots of energy, but they're not seeing the benefit here," she said.

"They're still sitting in their homes having to decide, can I afford to put on my heating, and so people are justifiably angry about that."

She added that islanders were also worried about Viking's impact on the landscape; the peat bog environment on which it was built; and tourism."

That seems perfectly justified to me. They are having their environment degraded and not getting any benefit from the degradation.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

There should be an Octopus fanclub installed there ASAP. It begs the question why this or similar wasn't made a part of the deal in negotiations? Cui bono?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

That there doesn’t seem to be a local community involvement fund of some sort does sound very bad if true.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mart

Post by Mart »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:26 am But there’s still criticism :facepalm:

I just don’t get what people expect.

The interconnectors are game changers - though I accept they are a very vulnerable bit of infrastructure in the event of conflict/mischief.

Just wish they’d crack on with the Morocco project - either as a stand alone UK-Morocco initiative or via a wider European network.
Yes, yes, yes and ........ let me see, yes.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Mart

Post by Mart »

The article mentions a fund, but I don't know if the amount is reasonable or not.
Like most renewable projects it will generate a "community benefit fund" but islanders say the gains will be small - about £72m over 25 years - in comparison to the revenue from the windfarm.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mart wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:00 pm The article mentions a fund, but I don't know if the amount is reasonable or not.
Like most renewable projects it will generate a "community benefit fund" but islanders say the gains will be small - about £72m over 25 years - in comparison to the revenue from the windfarm.
Its a 443MW windfarm, so if we say its going to have a 40% CF for 25 years and say leccy is £60 / MWh (6p / kWh) the revenue over 25 years is about £2.3 billion.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Mart

Post by Mart »

nowty wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:16 pm
Mart wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:00 pm The article mentions a fund, but I don't know if the amount is reasonable or not.
Its a 443MW windfarm, so if we say its going to have a 40% CF for 25 years and say leccy is £60 / MWh (6p / kWh) the revenue over 25 years is about £2.3 billion.
Thanks Nowty. I make that about 3%. Anyone know how that compares to 'normal'?
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.