Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Wind turbines
Joeboy

Re: Part ownership of a Ripple Wind Turbine, fancy it?

Post by Joeboy »

kla456 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:30 pm Hello Joeboy,

I'm focused on quantity of renewable generation towards nett zero, not current ROI. PV will generate over 25 years (beyond my life, but I have children) and many changes/tech improvements/Gov.interventions can be expected over that period which can upset current ROI calculations - just look at the impact of Octopus GO on EV charging, and on the ROI of batteries, or impacts when the bills come in for Hinckley Point, and many other currently unimmaginables.
Therefore its kwh of renewable generation and the current purchase cost, for me.

Ripple is perfect for those reaching for nett zero but hampered by the difficulty/cost of passiv-haus refurbishment. What's the refurbishment cost to save 5000kwh annually compared to the same investment in Ripple. I believe many (most) existing buildings (all of which must achieve nett zero by 2050) should not be refurbished but should have an equivalent investment in Ripple shares attached to the property deeds , to better effect and all the investment goes to renewable energy production instead of cu.m. of eps. and replacement of building components that may still have useful life.

To answer your questions:
I have DW (estimated 2050 kWh annually) which cost £2.2k.
70% of my last years' import was at the low rate (Octopus GO).
Ah well, you know where you're heading! Cheers. :D

Although, knowing how far cash can be stretched in the secondhand market I'd be pricing out as diy at about £450 per 1kW PV install and I'd groundmount it then use the money saved once live to roll over into further RE projects. Ripple being one candidate. Looking at it from different ends of the telescope?

Also I see roi as a means to an end not the end itself. By this I mean financial freedom to choose in a timely fashion going forward and not be hemmed into the one RE chute that has rising operating costs and curtails my ability to manouvere. Horses for courses I suppose.

Lastly, how far off is WB before delays? A diy groundmount can be knocking out power within 24hrs and as a bonus can have hideyholes for wee beasties. 8-)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
kla456

Post by kla456 »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:46 pm

Although, knowing how far cash can be stretched in the secondhand market I'd be pricing out as diy at about £450 per 1kW PV install and I'd groundmount it then use the money saved once live to roll over into further RE projects. Ripple being one candidate. Looking at it from different ends of the telescope?

Also I see roi as a means to an end not the end itself. By this I mean financial freedom to choose in a timely fashion going forward and not be hemmed into the one RE chute that has rising operating costs and curtails my ability to manouvere. Horses for courses I suppose.

Lastly, how far off is WB before delays? A diy groundmount can be knocking out power within 24hrs and as a bonus can have hideyholes for wee beasties. 8-)
Well, yes and no.
My question remains because I can't do a DIY install and it must be a roof install.

4kw PV installed UK approx cost £5k for approx 3.4kw annual production
Ripple investment to get 3.4kw annual production would be approx £4k
Is that a reasonable comparison?

Is Ripple cheaper than roof PV per kWh of energy produced?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

kla456 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:28 pm

Well, yes and no.
My question remains because I can't do a DIY install and it must be a roof install.

Surely you can run the sum knowing your personal consumption, it's cost and whether or not you are going to export? I'd be interested to see it.

All these aspects have an effect on the price. I assume the £4k Ripple cost is based on WB's predicted kWh payment and your own current payment on the 70/30 Go split?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

Another point to consider is that Ripple can move with you.
I would happily invest in a pukka roof install with a proper MCS certificate so I could access the 15p export, but the plan is to move in the next couple of years.

At that point, the ROI on PV goes rather pear shaped.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
64kWh Kia E-Niro
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

kla456 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:28 pm

Well, yes and no.

The simple answer is yes, per raw kWh for the world as a whole, Ripple is cheaper. Although I don't see how your 4k figure applies? It came in at under £2,500 to produce 3.4MWh on Ripple calculator? Apologies if I'm muddying the waters, not intentional but as Mr Pablo has shown, we all have our own unique set of environmentals and needs and ways of thinking!

Ah, I'm confusing the possible generation with a known annual take. Or is it the terms used? Are we speaking about 3.4kW generation expected from a 4kW PV system producing an anticipated (???? of MWh's) or 3.4MWh annual generation off of a 4kW PV system?

Apologies, I'll get my coat! :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
kla456

Post by kla456 »

Again Joeboy!

4kw PV installed UK approx cost £5k for approx 3.4kw annual production (sample installation, most common in UK)
Ripple investment to get 3.4kw annual production would be approx £4k (Ripple investment to achieve the same amount)

Looking good for Ripple, I would say
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

kla456 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:17 pm Again Joeboy!

4kw PV installed UK approx cost £5k for approx 3.4kw annual production (sample installation, most common in UK)
Ripple investment to get 3.4kw annual production would be approx £4k (Ripple investment to achieve the same amount)

Looking good for Ripple, I would say
I'll leave it alone for now. Might want to clarify as you're using the wrong terms and that's not supplying great info for quality reply. :facepalm:

kW
kWh
MW
MWh

"The important difference between kW and kWh is what they measure. A kW measures power i.e. the rate at which something uses electricity, whereas a kWh measures energy, the total amount of electricity used, or the capacity to use. "

I'm sure Ripple will be fine. :xl:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

KH numbers for Aug seem to have been updated and show generation was 41% above baseline. :twisted:

I have updated the capacity factor graph.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 830#p49377
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 3:50 pm KH numbers for Aug seem to have been updated and show generation was 41% above baseline. :twisted:

I have updated the capacity factor graph.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 830#p49377
Took my eye off the ball on this. That's great news. Summer on the Ayrshire coast anyone? My cousin has a weekend place in West Kilbride, might have to head down once Winter builds a bit. :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
John_S

Post by John_S »

On the Ripple dashboard, August is still showing as estimated for the whole month. July is now showing as confirmed and has changed from Monday.