Any good electricians here ?

ecogeorge

Any good electricians here ?

Post by ecogeorge »

Posting here because unsure where to post it and it involves a generator.
LONG STORY but ---------------- large Dairy farm with wind turbine /some solar ....... Single phase ...
Replaced 2x vacuum pumps (dairy milking machines -each 3kw) with 2 new variable speed pumps for energy saving. These are 2 x 4kw three phase motors fitted with Yaskawa single to 3 phase inverters. These work really well on mains power with low speeds on a vacuum on demand controller.
(for info -old vacuum pumps run flat out and vacuum level is maintained for admitting air via a vacuum regulator )
(new variable speed pumps run according to demand -typically 40-60% energy saving cos they run slow )
Mains power = no problems.
Recently had a power cut and connected tractor driven generator -result =new variable speed vacuum pumps will not run ......... Either generator inbuilt RCD80A-100ma trips or Wall socket (generator is plugged into) trips (100ARCD-100ma).
Visited farm today .........ran Generator and @ 230v / 50hz with <10amps load -engage variable speed pumps (even 1 only) and one trip will trip-(no pattern -may be 80A or 100A).
Running "old " vacuum pumps (2 x 3kw single phase) no problem.
Not believing its a "power" issue and may be related to RCD ???
I disconnected the earth cable to the "new" vacuum pumps and the generator will start 1 pump only -not 2 at same time....
I am not a qualified electrican BUT cannot work out why mains power starts and runs both variable speed pumps with no tripping/power issues with correct earthing installed.
Generator rated @ 80A will not start even one pump with low background load and trips.
Removing earth lets it start ? wtf??
Need to add this farm has multiple CU's and generator is fed through 2 x change over switches -first change over switch( other farm buildings ??) if not in off position generator trips always .........??????
Unsure if more than one electric supply ?? and totally out of depth BUT .........
Old vac pumps run on mains and generator.
New vac pumps run on mains only -trip generator .
Feeling lucky ............. lol
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Marcus

Re: Any good electricians here ?

Post by Marcus »

Not really enough information- you'd be better getting a local sparky to have a look - but my 1st thoughts are:-

1. Does the grid supply also have rcd protection (my reading of your description suggests both rcds are on the generator connection)?

2. Does the generator have a Neutral-earth bond? (It's lack could upset rcds, depending on the loads)
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
jonc_uk

Post by jonc_uk »

In my experience, multiple series RCDs, particularly of the same trip current / timing can cause nuisance trips for no reason.

Having said that, it ran fine before. You now have single to 3 phase drives which possibly have increased the transient voltages in the system without the whole of the grid to dampen this noise. In fact, you actually have 2x inverter drive feeding another inverter drive (in each vac pump).

As with @Marcus, first check when on generator you have neutral tied to earth.
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

I suspect the generator Neutral is most certainly not tied to earth .
I have spoken to someone much more qualified than me who said on fixed equipment with inverter drives it was occasionally necessary to fit rcds with 300ma limit
Interesting that the farm rcd is unaffected and only when the generator is used it trips the generator rcd .it's not really my problem but trying to help.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
AGT

Post by AGT »

What’s the quality of the back up power supply?
Ie is it 230 vac 50hz? Some good multimeters out there for under £70 have a small screen to let you see the sine wave under load
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

As other have said neutral earth link on generator that's presuming generator has been earthed as it should be.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

I have passed on everyones comments to the farmer and suggested he ask a registered sparky........
The generator is a "cheap" tractor driven model (not even bolted down) and gives a nasty "twitch" when the power take off is engaged !!
I suspect only generator earth is via plug/socket and neutral not linked ... but hey it was cheap !!!
thanks all for your help.....
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

I'm also not an electrician..

But, a few thoughts on top of creating a new MEN link (Main Neutral Earth) bond - This needs serious consideration though.

1. The generator quite likely has a nasty output, and inverter drives can be funny about it, check the genny output for frequency and voltage, it could be way out of spec and maybe just needs a minor adjustment if voltage is sagging under load, or if possible get a spark etc with an oscilloscope.

2. With Inverter drives being finickity, it's also important to make sure they're installed to the instructions, my ABB inverter drive for our crane winch has very specific instructions on the wiring with regards to the type of RCD that can and can't be used and it also has a special EMF / earth / shield connection which can be connected or disconnected. AFAIU that connection screw also allows the inverter drive to dump EMF noise onto the earth which can cause tripping. So again make sure a spark or someone with the time to read the instructions and make sure it conforms to them can have a look.

3. Last option maybe try putting a decent resistive load on the genny (Electric heaters etc) to get it working before the inverter drives kick in.
38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6
AGT

Post by AGT »

Used to use a lot of SY cable and glands for inverter drives for that reason..