ASHP & triple glazing

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Joeboy

Re: ASHP & triple glazing

Post by Joeboy »

Krill wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:24 pm Hey, sometimes it's fun to play devils advocate. :oO:

I get the future proofing point, and ultimately, when putting a cost on good health, most people always underestimate what it takes to fix it. £25 grand, £32 grand, these are nothings in so many respects so 3g makes a lot of sense, especially for Scotland with the harsher weather.

If I put 3g in my house I might die of over heating in summer, but I need to look at new windows in the next few years, all mine were put in about 25 years ago and aren't great, so I'm watching closely how things go fo you :freezing:
I have a unique one tomorrow. A joiner who has done 100's of 2g jobs and is very well rated at that wants to quote on this 3g work. I'll try and get a measure of him and let him quote. I will report back. :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
cojmh

Post by cojmh »

This might be a completely stupid question, but isn't the process of installing a 3g window the same as a 2G window .... only real difference being that the units will be heavier and thicker? i.e. anyone who can install 2G can install 3G too?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

cojmh wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:49 pm This might be a completely stupid question, but isn't the process of installing a 3g window the same as a 2G window .... only real difference being that the units will be heavier and thicker? i.e. anyone who can install 2G can install 3G too?
A question I wonder at too! I am up at 02.50 for a cuppa pondering that. Away to sit outside in the bootroom and ponder further (obsess). :lol:

I'd think that 3g installers are used to dealing with the weight and it's implications. More than that maybe the extra focus on airtightness?

When we were speaking with the Thistle guy yesterday he fully understood about sealing the window externally with low expansion foam and he did talk a good job. I also said that I'd be looking for any gaps to be filled with same when the external cladding comes off. As well as say remedial earthwool or low expansion foam Into internal cill void if not done already to a good standard. He hadn't heard of internal edge taping and I said I'll do that myself before the fitters finish internal details.

As long as 2g guy gets the point, works with me on it and can supply a high quality product I'd consider it.

The risk there is the loss of a piece of vertical integration and deep experience in the process as 2g guy would be dealing with a 3rd party online manufacturer for the first time.

In truth it's unlikely he'll make it to the final cut but we'll give him a go as I like the idea of helping someone expand their business....If the price and quality of product and finish detail reflect that risk from myself.

I recall Stinsy saying about the third pane being warm in Winter and Nowty saying about an immediate change for the better when he did some 3g diy.

https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 7&start=40

As an aside. Thistle are 25% upfront while Advance are no payment until job complete.

Pinefield Elgin can't make it for their appointment but I've sent them drawings and they'll give an estimate from there..

2g guy today.
Bon Accord Thursday at house.
Glassworx (Internorm windows) are doing a remote estimate.

There's a lot more goes into this than I first thought if we want to get a quality result. If all these quotes come in, there will be six quotes for comparison. To be honest I can't be arsed with all of this but I'll feel like a right mug if I don't do it properly. :?

So far
Two fails at first hurdle
1 rejection due to quality, price was excellent but looked a bit cheap now, pay later.

So that is 3 paths best avoided already. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

In the UK we don’t do proper 3g spec like in Scandinavia. Here frames are exactly the same whether you buy 2g or 3g, the only difference is the beading has a different angle on it to accommodate the overall thicker glass units.

If the argon units ever leak 3g will have a worse U rating than 2g units as the gap between the panes is smaller on 2g than 3g.

You also have less solar gain on 3g units which makes the choice for south facing windows very marginal.

When I bought mine, the main things were, low E glass, argon filled and warm spacers in the glass units. The glass units also need to be fitted the correct way around so you don’t want muppets doing the install.

Krypton filled units are slightly better but exceptionally higher price than argon filled.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Glass units in backwards, a whole new wrinkle! :shock:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Iain,

Heard back from energy trust.

"Grant funding for energy efficiency improvements is up to 75% of the combined cost of the improvements up to the maximum grant amount of £7,500. Grant funding for a heat pump and biomass is up to £7,500."

That's a mibbee's for both as I read it? :xx: (Hope springs eternal).

Did you get on OK at Sauchen?

If I get the grant for the ashp and go with Advanced group for the 3g and doors that would be 30k from me. I had a mental figure of 40k for both at the start of process.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:45 am Iain,

"Grant funding for energy efficiency improvements is up to 75% of the combined cost of the improvements up to the maximum grant amount of £7,500. Grant funding for a heat pump and biomass is up to £7,500."

If I get the grant for the ashp and go with Advanced group for the 3g and doors that would be 30k from me. I had a mental figure of 40k for both at the start of process.
You should get the grant for the ASHP no problem but dubious for the glazing.

The company ADW at Sauchen did both Rationel and Velfac doors and windows, SWMBO liked the profile of the Velfac windows so I gave them a couple of window sizes both fixed and top guided and a couple of door sizes so I can see what sort of costs they come back with.

Velfac profile:

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:12 am
Joeboy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:45 am Iain,

You should get the grant for the ASHP no problem but dubious for the glazing.

The company ADW at Sauchen did both Rationel and Velfac doors and windows, SWMBO liked the profile of the Velfac windows so I gave them a couple of window sizes both fixed and top guided and a couple of door sizes so I can see what sort of costs they come back with.

Velfac profile:

That's a neat profile Iain, I like it! I think I may have found my personal goldilocks company. KMS, small mob, they deal with an Altens window supply outfit. Just been over at Altens to have hands on with the 3g frame for twist/deflection.

The first frame shown was a complete letdown. :roll: Compared to the Velfac one it looks like a burst tyre! :lol:

Moved onto their top frame which has many, many airpockets. That frame combined with a 3g low E glass, 16mm thermal gaps, thermal spacers & argon filled units gets the Uw down to 0.7 and a 48mm overall depth of glazing unit. That should get me some frost on my outer panes on Spring mornings!

Here's the three frames that we'd considered. Two others not shown in this pic have already been rejected. Actually I'm just now rejecting the top right too. Ah well, that's Advanced glazing knocked out the box.

This is the door & frame x section.

The frame(s) trade name is zero 90 if anyone wants to look.

The fitting company are happy to work with me on remedial thermal improvements as they come up in the job.

Quote should be in for the end of week. :xx:

We still have bon Accord glass tomorrow for a home visit pinefield & glassworx doing remote quotes.

13 sealed airpockets in the lower section & 11 in the upper section.Apparently, this profile was developed for a U spec that was later rolled back to a lesser efficiency qualification by govt.

https://www.windownews.co.uk/liniar-lau ... m-zero-90/
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fully glazed doors on.patio and side door are coming in at u0.8. ;)

I don't really have a reference on that but seems OK? Same profile maker as windows. Front door, waiting to hear back. It's a composite door with a good sized triple glazed light in it.

Hearing lots of stories about Thistle now, none good. I'm not going to recount them here but i'm going to step away to a place i feel more comfortable in. :whako:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Be really interesting to see how all the quotes compare. :xl:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf