Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Fintray

Re: Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Post by Fintray »

Another small (but time consuming) step, BMS cables extended and individually fused.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Nice looms, save a lot of time down the road with the marking up.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Saladin

Post by Saladin »

Blimey that's impressive.

I thought I was the only one who fused balance leads. I've never seen a professional original equipment manufacturer do it.
The resistance across friction fit blade fuse holders will not be equal due to the massive manufacturing tolerences. Blade fuses themselves are also extremely inconsistant in terms of resistance and rupture current.
I did exactly the same on many a build except using blade fuseblocks instead of inline holders. I've often wondered if it made a difference to the balance circuit.

Not one I've noticed to be honest. I use active balancers too and resistance is fultile when the balance current is mA or less..My cells are generally pretty consistent.

Noice battery. Proper.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Saladin wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:41 pm Blimey that's impressive.

I thought I was the only one who fused balance leads. I've never seen a professional original equipment manufacturer do it.
The resistance across friction fit blade fuse holders will not be equal due to the massive manufacturing tolerences. Blade fuses themselves are also extremely inconsistant in terms of resistance and rupture current.
I did exactly the same on many a build except using blade fuseblocks instead of inline holders. I've often wondered if it made a difference to the balance circuit.

Not one I've noticed to be honest. I use active balancers too and resistance is fultile when the balance current is mA or less..My cells are generally pretty consistent.

Noice battery. Proper.
Saladin, Welcome onboard, your exuberance is outstanding 👏 👌
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Saladin

Post by Saladin »

Thanks for the kind words Joeboy,

Don't let my postcount fool you, I've been at this craic for decades. I went monk-mode for a coupla years and realised that no man-solo is going to change the world the amount we need to pull our socks up. It will take community.
I'm building omni-directional frequency controlled micro grids and end user installations with backfeed as a side project. I've 4 harmonised systems running in the workshop at the moment. ~17kVA and a mix of 16kWh Lead acid + LFP combined across the sets.
I don't use VTG even though I can. My propulsion batteries are for mobility, I don't want diminishing capacity on those from domestic loads.

Didja know it's illegal to compete financially with the national grid?
Decentralisation is the future in my opinion. We can trade in energy, calories, services or goods. Fortunately the powers that oppose such developments are blindsided by currency.

I wonder have you come across this resource on LFP? It's the best info on LFP on the net in my opinion.
It also explains how to manage the memory effect that that chemistry exhibits, which most vested interests try to sweep under the carpet and pretend isn't an issue. It is. I've measured it.
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

Yet more DIY batteries in the pipeline!
I've just ordered a set of cells and BMS from Colin, planning to double my capacity as hopefully I can shift energy away from gas usage.

I'm also helping a friend replace his pylontech stack with 2 DIY batteries - the extra capacity for the money is a no brainer.

Looking forward to getting the delivery later this year, thanks again Colin!
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
64kWh Kia E-Niro
Colin Deng

Post by Colin Deng »

MrPablo wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 3:47 pm Yet more DIY batteries in the pipeline!
I've just ordered a set of cells and BMS from Colin, planning to double my capacity as hopefully I can shift energy away from gas usage.

I'm also helping a friend replace his pylontech stack with 2 DIY batteries - the extra capacity for the money is a no brainer.

Looking forward to getting the delivery later this year, thanks again Colin!
Thank you Paul for the support
It will be ship out soon, just need to wait for the BMS arrived
Battery will be soon ready

Thanks
Colin
Colin Deng(Batterycolin)
Battery supplier for battery cells and pack
Email:guohed070@gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/colin-deng-2b4277238/
Richard77

Post by Richard77 »

Hi....

I'm considering getting two ready assembled cased 15kwh batteries from Colin. They will be housed in the detached garage.

The garage is single skin concrete block. Metal roof tiles. It will have an insulated roller shutter garage door on it (eventually!). No insulation inside the garage. (Picture below)

Was contemplating getting a heated function added into the batteries in case the temperature in the garage affects the batteries performance/longevity.

Has anyone got any experiences with cold winter months in northern england and whether the batteries performance is affected if left in uninsulated building?

Option 1: insulate garage, no heated function added to batteries.
Option 2: don't insulate garage, add heated function to batteries.
Option 3: don't insulate garage, no heated function added to batteries and don't worry about it.

What option do you recommend?

Was also thinking of putting a few solar panels on the garage roof. It's a low pitch (approx 12°) south facing. Usable space on each side of roof is about 5.5m x 1.6m (shame it would struggle to fit panels vertically)? So maybe 3 horizontally each side and 6 total? Dunno if it would be worthwhile though.

Thanks for your help... Much appreciated.
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

Have my Pylontechs in a self made wardrobe looking type of enclosure in my garage, no hearing or insulation but im down in Cornwall so rarely very cold. Coldest my batteries have dropped to is 12c.
Have seen a few people on the Net use celotex type PIR to make a boxing for batteries, so might be worth exploring that as another option?
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 7 x 570w JA solar panels
7.08kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
Richard77

Post by Richard77 »

resybaby wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:24 pm Have my Pylontechs in a self made wardrobe looking type of enclosure in my garage, no hearing or insulation but im down in Cornwall so rarely very cold. Coldest my batteries have dropped to is 12c.
Have seen a few people on the Net use celotex type PIR to make a boxing for batteries, so might be worth exploring that as another option?
Thanks....definitely a creative idea and one worth looking at. Would have to be a temporary enclosure I presume though, otherwise would risk overheating them when it's warmer?