ASHP & triple glazing

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
NoraBatty

Re: ASHP & triple glazing

Post by NoraBatty »

Add in,
What kinds of pipe/ fittings/joins will be used

Will the exterior pipework be finished in ducting or left as insulated pipe, open to the elements.

What will the quality of the pipe insulation be? (Taped and glued, or cable tied.)

How will they plan for maximising flow by using gradual bends, instead of hard bends or elbows.

If they absolutely have to use plastic pipe incertain areas, how will they mitigate restrictions in flow from the inserts etc.

Do they plan a buffer tank/low loss header, and why.

Are they planning a glycol filled system or water. If water, are they planning to use anti freeze valves.

Most importantly, how do they handle complaints, and breakdowns/system issues. - do they make you wait months, or attend issues immediately.

Goodluck with it Joe.
It cant be worse than mine!!
2.7kw Canadian solar. roof. 3kw solis G98 mcs
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae
Octopus agile/outgoing fixed 15p

Planned;
Hybrid system
43kwh eve batteries, 3x16 280A
6-8+kw solar, DC connected.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

NoraBatty wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 10:42 pm Add in,
What kinds of pipe/ fittings/joins will be used

Will the exterior pipework be finished in ducting or left as insulated pipe, open to the elements.

What will the quality of the pipe insulation be? (Taped and glued, or cable tied.)

How will they plan for maximising flow by using gradual bends, instead of hard bends or elbows.

If they absolutely have to use plastic pipe incertain areas, how will they mitigate restrictions in flow from the inserts etc.

Do they plan a buffer tank/low loss header, and why.

Are they planning a glycol filled system or water. If water, are they planning to use anti freeze valves.

Most importantly, how do they handle complaints, and breakdowns/system issues. - do they make you wait months, or attend issues immediately.

Goodluck with it Joe.
It cant be worse than mine!!
Thank you Nora, I will add to the list. I'm sorry the experience and leg up is coming from a bad installation. Defo on swept 90's rather than compacts. I'm doing a second sheet today listing you & Iains guidance.

The great thing is that an existing member has had an installation from the company and it's a thumbs up. The game now is SCOP comparison once installed as we're only about 6 miles or so apart. :twisted:
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AGT

Post by AGT »

Urban plumbers on you tube is worth a watch, knows how to install new and retro fit, again generally cause he does the calculations and doesn’t cut corners
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:35 am Urban plumbers on you tube is worth a watch, knows how to install new and retro fit, again generally cause he does the calculations and doesn’t cut corners
Thanks for that, I had a look at a few vids, great info. I am hoping that new 28mm incoming and return from the pump, 22mm existing spine and 13mm pipes will suffice as i'm not pulling the floors up. Its all 22mm thick solid maple which is glued and secret nailed in place. :shock:

Learned a lot in the last 24hrs. Should be enough to annoy the surveyor. ;)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:21 pm
AGT wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:35 am Urban plumbers on you tube is worth a watch, knows how to install new and retro fit, again generally cause he does the calculations and doesn’t cut corners
Thanks for that, I had a look at a few vids, great info. I am hoping that new 28mm incoming and return from the pump, 22mm existing spine and 13mm pipes will suffice as i'm not pulling the floors up. Its all 22mm thick solid maple which is glued and secret nailed in place. :shock:

If the ASHP is specified as the 10kW unit, mine had to have 35mm copper primary pipework.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:33 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:21 pm

If the ASHP is specified as the 10kW unit, mine had to have 35mm copper primary pipework.
Thanks Iain, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I think we can knock a few mtrs off the existing 22mm pipework too. What temp have you settled on in house for comfort? I take it the wbs is still off? :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:04 pm Thanks Iain, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I think we can knock a few mtrs off the existing 22mm pipework too. What temp have you settled on in house for comfort? I take it the wbs is still off? :D
Joe, I have the heat curve set at 0.35 which currently gives a temperature of 23.5C +-1C approx. The heat curve might need increasing as the weather gets colder but have to wait and see.

WBS has been languishing somewhat unloved since the heat pump installation, went as far as giving some firewood away to my neighbour :o
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 7:07 pm
Joeboy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:04 pm Thanks Iain, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I think we can knock a few mtrs off the existing 22mm pipework too. What temp have you settled on in house for comfort? I take it the wbs is still off? :D
Joe, I have the heat curve set at 0.35 which currently gives a temperature of 23.5C +-1C approx. The heat curve might need increasing as the weather gets colder but have to wait and see.

WBS has been languishing somewhat unloved since the heat pump installation, went as far as giving some firewood away to my neighbour :o
Giving firewood away, ahem....? :D

Great to hear how well it's performing and working out, really excellent. Been a springboard to access for me tbh, cheers.

I've become morbidly aware of temps last few days and I'm comfortable at 19 to 19.5 degs thru the day. Interested to see how that translates into a constant even temp. Quite exciting really. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Yes, the nice even temperature throughout the house is great, previously with the WBS the lounge would be hot whilst the rest of the house felt baltic at times (too tight to run oil heating much!). Now with solar PV, batteries, cheap rate IOG tariff and Ripple I don't think of the cost of heating anymore and the wife loves the constant temperature which is what matters. ;)
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 7:22 pm Yes, the nice even temperature throughout the house is great, previously with the WBS the lounge would be hot whilst the rest of the house felt baltic at times (too tight to run oil heating much!). Now with solar PV, batteries, cheap rate IOG tariff and Ripple I don't think of the cost of heating anymore and the wife loves the constant temperature which is what matters. ;)
Absolutely agree on the last (and the rest tbh). As we'll run the whole system open with no zoning I'll I think have to run it at a lower temp as we don't like to be overcooked in the bedroom when kipping. The WBS will be the gentle booster as and when. Although retaining X amount of SH will make a difference too.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs