ASHP & triple glazing

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Fintray

Re: ASHP & triple glazing

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 7:53 pm
Fintray wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 7:22 pm Yes, the nice even temperature throughout the house is great, previously with the WBS the lounge would be hot whilst the rest of the house felt baltic at times (too tight to run oil heating much!). Now with solar PV, batteries, cheap rate IOG tariff and Ripple I don't think of the cost of heating anymore and the wife loves the constant temperature which is what matters. ;)
Absolutely agree on the last (and the rest tbh). As we'll run the whole system open with no zoning I'll I think have to run it at a lower temp as we don't like to be overcooked in the bedroom when kipping. The WBS will be the gentle booster as and when. Although retaining X amount of SH will make a difference too.
Our new bedroom radiator has not been on since it was fitted, as likewise we like a cool bedroom, the window is usually open all the time.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:38 pm
Fintray wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 7:22 pm Yes, the nice even temperature throughout the house is great, previously with the WBS the lounge would be hot whilst the rest of the house felt baltic at times (too tight to run oil heating much!). Now with solar PV, batteries, cheap rate IOG tariff and Ripple I don't think of the cost of heating anymore and the wife loves the constant temperature which is what matters. ;)
Absolutely agree on the last (and the rest tbh). As we'll run the whole system open with no zoning I'll I think have to run it at a lower temp as we don't like to be overcooked in the bedroom when kipping. The WBS will be the gentle booster as and when. Although retaining X amount of SH will make a difference too.
Our new bedroom radiator has not been on since it was fitted, as likewise we like a cool bedroom, the window is usually open all the time.
Interesting, so if you don't have trv's how are you controlling that room? :praise:

I'm still trying to get my head around some form of bedroom/day room split while recognising the need for a single loop with minimal flow restriction and max emitters throughout to max the time v's scavenged heat into the overall home v's low SCOP hopes?

Assuming system balance to max flow with regard to system distant emitters is still a thing?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Create a setback temp overnight and try to adjust.

I love a window open when sleeping, my OH hates it and used to sleep in the spare room in our old house as he got too cold.
Last year was a struggle for me to adapt to no window blowing cool fresh air over my face, but i settled for a fan instead and trickle vents open. We had a setback temp of 14C in the house overnight, not that it cooled down to that level.
On the nights when i did open the window, for sure i slept much better than not, but ironically i am now more conscious of wasting heat with the more efficient heating than i was without it. In the old house, the window was open all night and the GCH came on in the morning to heat the house back up for hubby who got up 3 hrs earlier than me, whilst the window was still open.

It is just a different, more comfortable type of heat. no zones and whole house to the same temp, means even less draughts from room to room, which keeps you much warmer, and means you can get away with even lower temperatures in the house.
We were both happy with the whole house being at 18C last year. A first for the OH.
Getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom was joyous though!

We have trvs installed but these are all on the same setting and dont get used. I suppose you could turn the bedroom one down, but that negates trying to keep the whole house the same temperature.

Im still torn between turning the heatpump off at night and window open, with a hard start to get heated the next day,
Or to find a lower setback and use the fan.
It actually worked out around about the same energy usage when i tried both last year, but hubby was happier with the setback and i was happier with the window open.

What determined the answer was TOU tarriff pricing for that day and outaide temps. This will mostly be moot with the batteries.
2.7kw Canadian solar. roof. 3kw solis G98 mcs
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae
Octopus agile/outgoing fixed 15p

Planned;
Hybrid system
43kwh eve batteries, 3x16 280A
6-8+kw solar, DC connected.
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:57 pm

Interesting, so if you don't have trv's how are you controlling that room? :praise:

I'm still trying to get my head around some form of bedroom/day room split while recognising the need for a single loop with minimal flow restriction and max emitters throughout to max the time v's scavenged heat into the overall home v's low SCOP hopes?

Assuming system balance to max flow with regard to system distant emitters is still a thing?
We have TRV's on all radiators but they are all set fully open apart from the bedroom one which is closed.

Balancing is still required via the lockshield valves so all rads get a suitable flow. I know Urban Plumbers look for a 5C drop across the rads but I've never been able to get that, mine sit at 2C drop.

I started with a setback at night but in the end decided no setback and just maintain the temp. As NB says going to the loo in the middle of the night is no longer a case of frostbite to the nether regions. :D
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:16 am

We have TRV's on all radiators but they are all set fully open apart from the bedroom one which is closed.

Balancing is still required via the lockshield valves so all rads get a suitable flow. I know Urban Plumbers look for a 5C drop across the rads but I've never been able to get that, mine sit at 2C drop.

I started with a setback at night but in the end decided no setback and just maintain the temp. As NB says going to the loo in the middle of the night is no longer a case of frostbite to the nether regions. :D
Ah, it makes sense now, thank you. Nora too for the hands on experience.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Watching one of many Urban plumbers videos over the weekend and there was a good one (all good actually), pertinent then in that they wall mounted the external unit and spoke of zero noise/vibration, If our heat loss calc comes in at a 10kW single stack I reckon we could fit it on the gable end.

That would massively reduce the primary pipe runs, any chance of microclimation in the ground bin area (original ground mount site) and be a better use of existing space.

Google AI shows this...

"In Scotland, you usually don't need planning permission to install an air source heat pump (ASHP) if it meets certain criteria:
The external unit and housing of the ASHP cannot be taller than 3 meters
There is only one ASHP on the property
The ASHP is at least 1 meter away from any neighboring property or garden
If the ASHP is in a conservation area, it can't be seen from the road
The ASHP isn't in the curtilage of a listed building
You should also notify the local Distribution Network Operator (DNO) once the installation is complete. This is because installing a heat pump increases the demand for electricity on the local grid. "

Unit is 1.1mtr in height. Hmmn.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Andy

Post by Andy »

Fintray wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:16 am

This is how ours is set up as well.

The problems I found are that the bedroom is quite hard to control. There is no way to turn down the heat at night because with the window open the cold air flows over the trv giving max demand. We tried windows closed with a setback on a digital trv and that didn't really work either because even lightly cracking the window ended up with a gentle flow of cold air over the trv. We have a whole house setback of a few degrees. If you set much lower, the system does a gentle lowering of temperature I found I was never comfortable as I always had the wrong duvet chasing the temperature. Better to have one temp and get the duvet to fit. Thin one for me and one that gives death by crushing for my wife.

The other problem is the kitchen with the WBS. Again I tried digital TRV so the radiators would be turned off when the WBS came on. They were pretty rubbish and we've gone back to the regular wax ones which are quite slow to respond. Its a shame there is no way to have ones that can be controlled by code so that you can fully turn them off as soon as the system detects the stove is on (rapid rise in temp for example).
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:49 am Unit is 1.1mtr in height. Hmmn.
Height of 10kW unit is 1565mm, 1100mm is the width.
7kw unit is 965mm by 1100mm.
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:09 am
Hi Iain, Robbie says Hi, very meticulous. Currently doing the heat loss calc.

He has applied for Heat geeks accreditation. Excellent fella, looking forward to learning the heat loss calc No. :shock:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:10 pm
Fintray wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:09 am
Hi Iain, Robbie says Hi, very meticulous. Currently doing the heat loss calc.
:xl:
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf